CTD after exiting the Beta and reverting back to last stable

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

When I installed SU10, MSFS updated a bunch of packages. Unless I missed something, reverting back to SU9 did not result in any packages updating. Starting MSFS resulted in a CTD before I ever got to the menu.
The net result is that I had to completely reinstall the sim, including my entire Official folder. Reinstalling the sim by itself did not help: The only thing that worked was deleting my entire Packages folder and reinstalling that, too.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

No fault bucket given, but here:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001cbcd92
Faulting process id: 0xd30
Faulting application start time: 0x01d89fc0518abbf1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: f04c6af9-0181-4288-8017-f683417cf5ca
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

1 Like

Yes. Just did the same, reverted to SU9 and CTD on loading.
However, I was using the Steam process as specified here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/read-first-welcome-to-sim-update-10-beta/507612 but the end result was the same. CTD halfway through loading the sim.

It looks to me like the update check after reversion to SU9 isn’t working, and it leaves SU10 specific content in place which I think is what is causing the CTD on loading. If their update check worked properly and redownloaded the SU9 content then you would not have to do a full reinstall, which is just a ridiculous thing to have to do.
Why can’t they fix this? They have a high priority beta underway, but people can’t easily switch between them.
I reverted back (back actually!) to SU10 Beta and all is working ok.
That would probably be because the content matches the executable…

I believe the issue is related to settings stored on the cloud. I had two copies, one Steam at SU9, and one Store at SU10. They both worked at one time, but the other day the Su9 copy just would not start. I enrolled in the Beta in the Su9 copy, and the sim started. However, it looked like it was picking up my settings from the SU10 copy. I had vsync on in the Su10 copy but not in the SU9 copy. During the update of the SU9 copy vsync turned itself on. After the update was finished, it turned itself back off.

This has at the time been a one off as Steam is usually quite proficient.

No need for a second thread.

This has at the time been a one off as Steam is usually quite proficient.

I have no idea what that even means. This isn’t even a Steam problem, it’s an MSFS installation issue during the loading phase, likely during the update check.

No need for a second thread.

It’s not a “second thread”, if you had bothered to actually read it - similar to other recent threads where you obviously haven’t read official posts then complain about the devs not doing things you think they should be doing, when in actual fact they are doing them. ie: bug report templates with computer specs.

It’s a question for Sim Update 10 BETA: Dev Stream: SU10 Questions - Our next Live Dev Q&A will be Thursday, August 18th at 10:30am PT (1730Z) in order to get more visibility on a real problem for people transitioning between beta and live version. It had to be approved by the mods to be posted, and I included the links to this thread and the other one as reference.

If you’re not willing to help, fine, but don’t stop the rest of us from trying to get some progress happening, please.

I don’t believe I have read any posts regarding anyone having this problem reverting from the beta who was not on the Steam platform. Thus this indicates a possibility of a Steam issue. If everyone would bother to complete their profile we could expedite finding out platform specific issues.

@Sonicviz @Salem978,
Do not direct posts to others.

@Sonicviz,
Do not create a post to have users vote on other topics.

Will do. My apologies. It’s an important issue, just trying to get it more visible.

The OP was not on Steam it seems: “Exit Beta in the Insider Hub → Xbox App loads last stable client → Start Sim → CTD” so it looks to be a xplatform issue.

YES

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1914974813637256759, type 5

And as always : Asobo don’t give a F***

Hi there

I downloaded the SU10 Beta when it came out, it worked perfectly until a few days ago. Now the sim won’t even start, CTD during upload. Any solutions know for this?

Thank you!

This is just a guess…Check MS Insider and be sure that you are still enrolled in the Beta, there have been reports of people being dropped. Unfortunately when you are removed from the Beta SU9 does not work any longer (At least it did not for me) due to SU10 Beta files that were changed in the official folder. I personally had to delete everything then re-download to get SU9 back when I came out of the Beta. If by chance you were dropped you should be able to just elect to join again and it may work after that.