CTD after hibernate or sleep mode

Since the update which fixed the " Press any keys to continue" issue, I have experienced CTD after hibernate or sleep mode for the last couple of months Did anyone have the same issue?

Wait, you’re letting your system go to sleep while the sim is running?
I would completely expect the sim to crash if the system went to sleep (basically components get shut down -> sim can’t run).

If you want to leave long flights running while you sleep, disable sleep/hibernate.

6 Likes

The function was working as it supposed to do before the update just like other apps and saved me a lot of time to reload the game every time. You can pick it up from where you left off and it’s very nice to have. I suspect it might have something to do with network or peripheral reconnection and MSFS reauthentication after the sleep or hibernate.

I’ve had many applications crash after exiting hibernation including MSFS. And since MSFS is notoriously sensitive to any kinds of sudden interruptions, I also would advise against using hibernation mode. If it worked before you were lucky I guess.

try this with another game…

PS.: the quality of reported issue becomes slowly strange…

1 Like

Well, I did not try other games this way other than the apps. This feature was also working on the previous MSF X version. As I have said it was working before the update so it is possible and nice to have and may not be very difficult to fix by the development team. The issues may also provide another angle to trouble shoot the stability issues of the game.

1 Like

It is so annoying, as we can not continue flights by loading saved *.FLT files, the Sim crashes as well after waking up PC from hybernate or sleep mode. So right now it is not possible in no way to save and continue a flight some time later, allways CTDs. Anyone with same issue?

Is the controller’s USB port going to sleep?
If sleep mode on your computer puts the USB port of the controller to sleep, it will crash the sim.

1 Like

Why not just let it run the whole way if you’re on long haul flights? If you’re on short haul flights, might as well fly all the way.

I imagine you would also encounter issues with world time, and possibly real weather/flights/other aircraft as well. Your flight would say one time, and the world would be in another time. It is hard for me to imagine why you would want to allow your PC to sleep or hibernate mid-flight.

You may be better off pausing the game, (PAUSE/BREAK key, not ESC) then allowing the PC to sleep, as I suspect using the ESC key does not stop the aircraft from moving. The game might still crash due to the timing problems and losing sync with real world weather, other aircraft and live flights (if you have those enabled).

You can always use the “jump to” in the menu to jump to descent, landing or approach if you know you are going to have to step away. I have had to do this several times when I was unexpectedly called into RL (real-life) . I always save the flightplan, so I can just quit the game, then restart the flight from the flightplan, and jump to descent, approach or landing to finish a flight off later. I also have to set world time back to match when I left off, but the weather has changed and when you start in a storm and suddenly there are no clouds, it is a little annoying!

@TheSevenflyer Yes. I think it might have something to do with the USB connection issue. I have been having “press any key to continue” issue since I had the game when it was released. I had to unplug my mouse and re-plug it in to continue with the game. Sleep and hibernate mode allowed me to bypass the problem once I am in the game. Right after the problem was fixed with the new release, I no longer could use the sleep and bypass mode anymore.

1 Like

Let us know how you make out!

It appears, from my experimentation, anecdotally and without empirical evidence, that CTDs only happen to me if I load MSFS after waking the PC up from sleep. If it is after a fresh boot or a restart, there are no CTDs I can remember. Noticed this randomly and have been observing it for over 1.5 months now. Wonder if anyone has experienced the same.

I usually don’t, use sleep mode. But I have read similar posts on other games related to the same issue. Something to do with your graphic drivers not running correctly after coming out of sleep/hibernation. So it wouldn’t surprise me.

I hardly use sleep mode. I always do a full shutdown at the end of the day.

MODERATOR EDIT: This post was merged into this topic.

I am not using developer mode

I have the Microsoft Store version, utter De Luxe. And the problem is that with one of the latter updates I no longer can power down my computer with MSFS2020 running, and wake the computer up without having the MSFS2020 shutting down. This is very inconvenient as I like to save time for the flight by starting MSFS, get to the right airport, and power save to get back to the game later.
I want it possible to put the computer to power save state with the MSFS running and not getting a CTD when wakening the computer.
Specs: Intel i5-9400F, Gibabyte GTX 1070, Corsair Vengeance 2666 2x16.

I have the same problem, described yesterday in another post. Of course it is a bug. Asobo / Microsoft should address it immediately.

1 Like

It’s between flights we hibernate the computer, of course not while flying!

Had a Flight the other day which turned into a nose dive. I record all my flights so I can watch what happened. All I did was ALT Tab and look at Google Chrome.

Maybe all the .wasm code got messed up?!

If it’s between flights, why not just close the sim, and Shut down the PC?