CTD after hitting Fly Now from any(and only) Northeast/Midwest US Airport only after update to 1.33.8

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Instant CTD after trying to depart from any Northeastern / Midwestern US Airport. CTD occurs within two seconds of hitting Fly Now. The Issue happens with both bespoke and procedurally generated (Microsoft) airports. Issue still happens from Safe Mode, with all addons disabled, Online Data disabled, and Photogrammetry disabled. It only occurs with airports in the Northeastern/Mid Western US (e.g. KJFK, KBOS, KSDF, to as far west as KDEN). All other airports there are no issues whatsoever. Just completed a 10hr NAT track flight from KMIA to EGLL without issue. Also, a 5-6hr IFR flight from KSJC to KTPA no issues either.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Open Sim, Select a gate from any of the above airports (e.g. KJFK), click Fly-Now. Sim crashes.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidia - Latest Game ready version 537.13

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Motherboard: msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600T @ 4.25Ghz (Default 450mhz boost OC)
Disk: M.2 4TB SSD for System root(OS) and SATA II 4TB SSD for Data drive
GPU: msi Gaming X Trio (nVidia) RTX 3080 Ti @ factory OC (1755Mhz)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 Kit (4x16GB), Trident Z Neo @ 3600Mhz XMP Profile with 1800Mhz FCLK/Infinity Fabric
Virtual Memory/Page File: >=64GB

Notes: System is typically very stable, particularly since the upgrade to a 64GB kit I very rarely see any CTD’s. I will note that the GPU update is recent. Prior to the RTX 3080 Ti I had a RTX4000 Quadro which was also very stable. This issue was coincident with both the recent sim update to 1.33.8 -AND- the installation of the new GPU, so there is the possibility it’s somehow related to the GPU but I don’t think so, the faults/exceptions being thrown (see below) are from the Sim and it’s only these particular Geographic locations, I think it may have to do with a TIN/DEM issue with the recent release.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Fault bucket 2050079618817135837, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: FlightSimulator.exe
P2: 1.33.8.0
P3: 00000000
P4: FlightSimulator.exe
P5: 1.33.8.0
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000be446e
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\MSFSReport-Crash.txt
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERE833.tmp.dmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREC7A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREC8B.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREC98.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERECB9.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_FlightSimulator._1fdfa1ba63bfef4f43c4245bba5b8f4fb6_78a935a3_02f60800-b6cc-482c-b64d-223fa5fcc780

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 37a5b4a8-886d-4c74-89d7-6293871dd583
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 97f73789a9bca6575c73588d30dd14dd
Cab Guid: 0

BELOW IS THE APPLICATION FAULT/EXCEPTION CODE

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.33.8.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.33.8.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000be446e
Faulting process id: 0x3480
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9d8a6e0402c35
Faulting application path: D:\Games and Sims Installation Root\SteamClient\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games and Sims Installation Root\SteamClient\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 37a5b4a8-886d-4c74-89d7-6293871dd583
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

NOTE: I also have the state/crash dump available as well if needed

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Just in case anyone asks, I have tried Deleting & rebuilding / disabling my rolling cache.
Makes no difference.

Some further information:
Under normal flight conditions I am using GSX/Couatl & the Fenix A320 but the issue happens from Safe Mode with all addons & online services disabled as well so it doesn’t appear to be addon related.
When I launch normally (outside of safe mode/with addons enabled), I can also see that the geo-location updates from 0,0 to the new spawning location within the Navigraph map before the CTD occurs, so it appears to occur immedietly after the geo-location updates in the sim.

I’m wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, if so, I’ll know it’s not a local issue and is a release bug.
In the meantime, I’ll just keep flying out of the south and to S. America. Got to love those RNP AR approaches in S. America anyway, lol.

Started up just fine at KBOS here.

Hello @CHRZOC,

I just started a flight at a gate at KJFK and could not replicate this CTD. Everything is working normally for me.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

Personal Comments and Observations

Does this happen with stock aircraft?

Have you tried removing the overclock on the GPU?

Hmmm.

Yes to both. The GPU OC is factory set, but I can turn it back down to the nVidia base clock rate and still see the same issue.

Happens with default acft, procedurally generated/stock airports, all addons removed, from safe mode. etc.

There are still a couple of things I can try, I am using only (and have only tested with) DX11 right now, haven’t tried switching to DX12 (which the GPU firmware is optimized for) due to the over-tasking of VRAM issue, but the card has 12GB of GDDR6X so I don’t think this would be much of an issue. I doubt this has anything to do with it, but it’s worth a try. I’m going to also try and further underclock the GPU and run some artifact benchmarks and see if anything pops up. if anyone else saw a similar issue with an RTX 3080 Ti and has any solutions let me know

not home right now but I’ll try again later to see if it’s even still happening. Most likely it still is though.
Hopefully I can hash this out.

Sorry was held up over the pond, just arrived back & had a chance to try working this out some more.

Update:

1. Tried lowering the GPU Core clock & mem clock all the way back down to (Nvidia vanilla) factory base rate and it makes no difference, I even tried underclocking the GPU and turned off all my other OC’s that are normally active (CPU, XMP SRAM Profile) and it’s the same thing. It doesn’t appear to have anything to do with anything OC. Just for the sake of checking (and because I hadn’t done it yet since installing the RTX 3080 Ti) I also stability tested and benched the system with all my normal OC settings, I ran it through around 8 hours of testing via UNiGiNE Heaven 4.1 & msi Kombuster and had zero crashes, zero artifacts and the GPU never rose over 82º C. Like I said, luckily this system has always been pretty stable.

2. I once again tried removing all addons from the Community directory, ran in safe mode, turned off all online services (Wx, Traffic, & Photogrammetry) and tried launching from a vanilla aircraft & vanilla (procedurally generated) airport… Still the same issue. CTD whenever launching from (only) this geographical region.

3. I tried deleting the DX Shader Cache. Nope, same thing.

4. And I even tried it while using the DX12 Beta, No difference. (in fact much worse, The first attempt after swapping to DX12 I had a CTD from the world map when zooming in, which I haven’t had since the days of SU5)

5. So, I just reset everything back to normal (DX11, all the OC’s on) and everything continues to work fine when spawning outside this region, 10-12hr long flights no problem. No crashes or significant frame drops, No black screens or PC restarts. It’s just for whatever reason some texture, scenery or mapping data/DEM (something!) is causing a CTD in this region. I’m trying to figure out what the commonality is. Any Devs out there have any suggestions where to look?

It all started happening right after the most recent 1.33.8 update package from last week, the small (I think only a few MB if I remember correctly) package that updated all the generic airport data. Some of that might have just been the current AIRAC/ARINC cycle, but I think some other scenery was updated as well

I use Navigraph for navdata, I figured it might have been faulty navdata but if that was the case it shouldn’t have occurred in the vanilla state with all addon packages & community addons removed/disabled (including Navigraph).

I’m at a complete loss, This is quite annoying. I’m from the NE US and that’s where my home base is so I routinely fly out of this region. The only other thing I can think of it being is maybe a driver issue? The last thing I can try (short of a full re-install, which I absolutely refuse to do) is rolling back the Nvidia GPU driver to v 531.29 back from march, which I’ve read ppl having good results with when issues like this turn out to be an Nvidia driver stability issue

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

sim loads fine, but when go to fly either discovery flight or flight map and fly now, it’ll partial load and the CTD

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

FWIW, I have the same issue in the Southeast US as of today’s upgrade 1.34.16. Can’t start from Atlanta to Charlotte, Savannah to Memphis. Bizarre. I have removed the community file and reloaded the program from Xbox. No diff.

I have had same experience, all mods removed, ATL with 787 CTD usually before takeoff but one time made it to cruise. Flew Heathrow to Rome and not an issue in the world…. Updated nvidia drivers made no difference. Before removing all mods I flew my Comanche on a Leg up the west coast without issue.
DX12, frame gen only, taa. 4090 oc ran stock and 7900x3d.

I removed all Community folder content, which was significant. I did isolate the problem using my latest installs and traced it to the AccuSeason Advanced update. Uninstalled and reinstalled AS, no more CTD. Hope this may help anyone else. Not the first time I’ve had issues with updates.
DX12, 32g, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 3080, Win 10

I am using accuseason advanced. I will uninstall and test ATL to DFW. Thanks for posting. If confirmed we should report to Rex.

After uninstalling Rex, make sure to delete the Rex files in your Community folder. I had 3, the other 2 were from version 6. I think that was the issue. I did an upgrade of 6 instead of complete uninstall/new install of 7. Hope this works my friend! -Tom

Thanks, I did do that. I also out the appdata or app cache whatever it was called and uninstalled client. I got pulled away but took off and made it to cruise, will finish later but so far so good. I had reinstalled Rex advanced already once but never deleted from the two folders in the flight sim folder structure.

Had no CTD, successful flight from ATL to DFW.

Good work!!

having this issue , itll make it to the cinematic camera, and whenever i hit fly now itll immediately freeze and crash. some aircraft do it no matter what and sometimes its just location.

I don’t use camera view, but one thing I’ve found is that if you run MSFS in Safe Mode after a CTD, it will only use original program files. If it runs w/o difficulty, it is most likely one of your addons. I always start with last addon in the Community file and look for newest to oldest and progress from there. It can be tedious as I have over 350 files. So I recommend starting with the last file(s) that may be causing the crash. It could also be a memory issue.

I have the same problem when loading into a flight. Removed all items from community folder and it is still occurring. I am on PC.

You may have to back-up and remove your Community folder and reinstall MSFS :cry:. Did You try running MSFS in safe mode? Maybe another member has an alternate solution?