CTD immediately and every time after pressing yellow 'FLY' button

Charles, sorry to hear. I changed some LOD things in usercfg.opt to 4.00000 and that made my game look better as ever. But it’s not that stable if I’ve some addons loaded. You could try to move the files to another drive but think that’s only possible if you’ve the Steam version. Foes take a while as well.

I also added a thing on Zendesk that it kills FPS if you undock for example the ATC window. Drops my FPS from 56-32. I usually have those on a different monitor so it doesn’t clutter the screen so much so took me a while I noticed that if you dock them you suddenly have around 25 FPS more. Here is a small clip for my Zendesk friends (who actually are scripts doing auto replies) https://youtu.be/t9l1UZt_DTc

1 Like

In reference to the move operations, it is better to not confuse The download App of where your FS2020 is located.

There is the 1st part, approx 2GB, that is always and can only be installed on your C:\ drive (or your boot drive where Win 10 resides).

The 2nd part is the other part of FS2020 that the download App will install,
store, any where on any drive you want.

If you don’t muck around with the installation, you can move the
FS2020 App easily with:
Win 10 Settings, Apps, MS light Simulator and the “MOVE” command
or the “UNINSTALL” command.

I just did today. SU5 wasn’t acting right.
So, I uninstalled FS2020 and re-installed it.

Re-Install worked great.

1. Settings, Apps, MS Flight Simulator - “Uninstall”
  2. MS Store
  3. Choose “Downloads & Updates”
  4. Select “MS Flight Simulator Deluxe” - my package
  5. FS2020 downloads - 2 minutes (around 2 GB)
  6. Install C:/ (your boot drive) files - 1 minute
  7. Asks where you want to install FS2020
    I select my FS2020 drive, D:\FS2020 - 2 minutes (around 127 GB) *
  8. Done. FS2020 running and problem solved.
  • the 127 GB was not downloaded since it was already there.
    The uninstall does not delete it

Hello OzBoz,

I have discovered that if I load a scenario, (in this case it was a Discovery flight) if I move my trim wheel and controllers in the last third section of the loading screen which takes you to ‘Fly’, my simulator appears to be fine and I managed to fly for one hour without a CTD.

As for the buildings that appear to be doing a Mexican wave in the mid-distance or toppling like dominos, increasing my Render Scale setting to 155 really helped to mitigate this problem as well as setting the other two sliders to maximum, (buildings LOD and terrain LOD). The caveat: I only have an i72600K with a 1070 GPU. I have set a frame rate limit of 30FPS and amazingly I can fly quite well at this high level of rendering on my computer. This would not have been possible for me to really go above 100 in the render settings pre-SU5. I am not far off full ULTRA settings within the simulator which is amazing considering my hardware is old now. I only have a 1080P monitor.

So there appears to be a problem with a Saitek trim wheel controller on my system. I can either remove
the trim wheel or just toggle it in the loading stage to avoid CTD’s within the sim. It’s all a bit of a ‘fudge’ fix really.

Charles.

You are right but most people here were talking about the Steam version which is a bit different in how it works and from which locations. Also with Steam it’s not really needed to download the game again (well you can of course). Personally I like that about Steam that you can move any game and never have to reinstall it if you have a new harddrive or pc, as long as you keep the steam folders you only need to download the client again.

I found nothing worked after hitting fly until i deleted the files for add ons in the main list of files I forget the folder name beside marketplace.
Akso comm file is empty. It eorks great now and the files are still avsilable for reload if you want to test each one to see which is causing the problem.

A fix for ‘Game Mode’ from Microsoft and a fix for some games that will not launch in Win10…

Same here, full reinstall after having spent a lot of time ensuring absolutely every trace of the original install had been wiped, even cleaned up the registry. I was hoping that a full reinstall would solve the other issue I had been suffering from, namely the game freezing when I turned on to the approach leg of an IFR flight. Well, I haven’t been able to check for that as the game CTDs on me when I press Fly. Tried three times, three CTDs, tried restarting PC, no effect. Given up, I’ve got better things to do with my life than wait on this rubbish.

If you have the Steam version you can try to move it to another drive. That’s not much work using Steam. Use Steam to create also a library on another drive, than you right click at Flight Sim and in the properties you can check the location of file and there’s a button you can move it to another Steam library. Takes of course some time but you get a message when it’s done.

After you put the right path to the InstalledPackages folder at the bottom of your UserCfg.opt file and try to run it again.

It makes absolutely no sense but for me it worked. I tried to move it back afterwards since the original drive is a much faster Nvme but immediately got the CTD when I press FLY again. I really don’t know why it worked for me since I also removed all traces, emptied the content.xml, renamed some folders so it would created new ones but still, only moving made it possible for me to fly again.

I still cannot start at certain large airports (marketplace and MSFS ones). I have tried removing them but it makes no difference after reinstall. I am assuming I will need updates from the developers at this point.

That’s probably true of 90% of 3rd party content and I imagine much of the old FSX stuff won’t get updated at all. Of course you will still be able to use it in FSX so no fault of Asobo’s

CTDs after clicking ‘Fly’ now incessant making FS2020 completely unusable for me at the moment. Forced to give up flying again until Asobo and MS consider the problem important enough to fix.

Have you tried removing all your USB controllers and then pressing ‘Fly’ to see what happens?

Charles.

Have you tried deleting current flight from Missions folder?

Thank you for your suggestion Charles. I can certainly give this a try. Personally, I’m beginning to think this problem to be MS server related. The reason being that it appears completely intermittent. If I keep trying by restarting FS2020 following this very particular type of CTD, sometimes I’ll reach the ‘Fly Now’ button and then the cockpit. If I can get this far then everything works fine. Problem is though that I’ll perhaps be successful about 20% of the time. I’ve checked my network connection though and that’s solid. I think as many know here, in addition to being intermittent, this particular CTD is accompanied by no error messages. Hence, extremely difficult to diagnose.

1 Like

Many thanks. I can try this too.

1 Like

For me the problem seems to be regional so you may have something re the servers. I have had more problems in the European region but not USA, NZ or Oz. E.g I cant load to EGHI, EGKA, LOWI (Orbx or not), sometimes it loads but the scenery graphics don’t load properly and it gerts all blurry or freezes. Sometimes the sim doesn’t come up at all.
Basically this is fully an Asobo problem not ours. It has worked on most our PCs most of the time previously, an it doesn’t now. It’s not us. Maybe some have got a good experience on top end PCs? But as a software release it’s a disaster.

Be interesting to know what people who have had CTDs have in common. For example, many of my event viewer .dlls involved in crashes have been nVidia files related. So is it maybe better for AMD users?

Maybe we should stop angsting so much about our add-ons and PC’s and its weaknesses - by the look of it very little makes any difference anyway.

Most of of us have already tried most of the advised optimisations. It worked mostly fine before (most of who are seasoned simmers know when we have a self-made problem on our setups anyway) so it’s not acceptable that it doesn’t work now. Even though when it does work the performance is fantastic, but the graphics are worse, and even thought I have bought add-ons and free ones, I can’t use any of them. Ridiculous. And don’t bother with Zendesk - they haven’t a clue what to advise us other than the usual generic responses.

Oh well! Just have to wait with trepidation until WU6 and see what damage that does.

Hi Icarus, thank you for coming back to me. I have found a problem which is linked to USB controllers. Just last week, if I moved my controllers during the loading screen with the Cub/Rhino splash screen, that would cause an instant CTD without error. I have learnt that my Saitek Trim Wheel causes problems too. As soon as the screen loads with the ‘Fly’ button, I move my trim wheel and other controllers then press ‘Fly’. I can fly without a CTD this way and without the pause of around 5 seconds on first use of the trim wheel.

I hope you get it all sorted soon, it must be very frustrating for you.

BRGDS.

Charles.

Just so as to follow this point further - for me anyway. Just completed a perfectly good flight from PAYA - PANC in the WT CJ4 with excellent FPS (50-60) - none of the issues as experienced in Europe/UK. Interesting to see what the DACH WU will bring in this region?

Finally fixed this issue. I was having CTDs no matter what when pressing the “fly” button, sometimes even by browsing around the world map, I did everything that was recommended regarding settings and uninstalling things but what really fix it was formatting my second SSD where I had the game installed from exFat to NTFS.

1 Like

Well then you didn’t do everything as that’s been recommended numerous times.

Glad to have you back flying :smiley: