CTD immediately and every time after pressing yellow 'FLY' button

Is Asobo aware of this compatibility issue with exFat?

They must check this so that this exFat issue is fixed.

There’s no recent app I know of that needs the exFat file system and I think I’m right it’s only use is to resolve issues with Windows and old Fat32 data and applications. If you still need it I should seriously think about updating those old apps or replacing them with NTFS compatible ones and then reformatting your drive(s)

I wrote them about this tread and also told them a lot of people solved their issues by moving the game to another drive. I didn’t have the game on a exFat partition though (all NTFS here) but still it worked for me moving it from an Nvme to a normal SATA drive. Makes no sense but well, works.

Told the guys at Zendesk after automatic reply 3 I would prefer an actual human reading about this problem and the possible solution.

Just move the data over to another drive, also takes a while but not as long as downloading. You can also try to run it from there, just change the usercfg.opt last line so it reflect the new location of the game. If you do it well you don’t need to download anything again.

Data no problem but I’m not sure about any executables … although I’ve always suspected roaming might take care of it I’ve never actually tried

On my xbox series s console created a new flight plan changed weather from live to my setting and hit fly, and crash.

With all the work I put into just trying to get the app to work MS should be paying me something!

Ah, well I was talking about FlightSimulator, not the entire C drive for example. I can’t imagine a C-drive is formatted as exFat since it’s mainly a thing for external drives, USB sticks etc.

FlightSimulator itself you can move around without any issues. It is important that you don’t throw away the usercfg.opt though but that file lives in %appdata% the other files/folders from Flightsimulator in Appdata get generated again if you move or rename them (that was one of the things I tried to solve the FLY > crash mystery)

That’s the problem, Windows didn’t and maybe still doesn’t insist on NTFS at install (actually that might be wrong for 10 & 11). People that bought external drives with exFAT already set up shouldn’t be expected to automatically know the difference but it’s uses stem mainly from slight advantages with raw data and photographic storage however it’s nothing that NTFS doesn’t do well either.

Fixed the CTD by reformatting to NTFS on the ssd

1 Like

Very, very interesting.

I never would have thought about a drive not formatted as NTFS.

may be not exFAT is the issue, more the install on a external drive. On other side… its very long ago that I going deeper in filesystems, but I thought exFat have no journaling etc, so it might be possible quicker affected from data lost issue ( becomes quicker corrupt ). But as said, very long ago…

I personly would not install a game on a external usb drive and also not use exFat for this big-installations with huge files like in msfs ( exFat is more for small files ).

2 Likes

I think the problem mostly arises with the sim being on a different file system to the data being transported and whatever processing is going on in ram or vram. Whether it’s a coding error or a streaming optimisation I wouldn’t like to say but memory certainly is having a problem with it.

And I seem to remember that NTFS was specified in the install notes

I just have to respond that this makes no sense.

No. There is no compatibility issue.

there is a possible reason : drivers :wink:

Sorry, but moving the game from an NVMe to a SATA drive
did not make any sense.

I had no knowledge of exFAT drives before reading this Thread.
Now, I know it is associated with USB thumb drives.

So now, I have a clue.

Thanks

Just now, the game has gone strange. Wanted to fly the 747. I set some flap and it immediately retracts. Seems like the whole screen is lit up with “suggestions” on what I have to do next. Never seen these before. I have had sims around the house for 40 years. Don’t need suggestions.

I take off and CTD. I can’t tell if there was an update this morning or not. If so, it was quick.
I take off again and CTD again.

I think what I want to know is simple. Did or did not microsoft send me new files or make any changes to my profile overnight or early morning Aug 23 or 24? I was fine before then.
(Aug 25 edit)
I now think YES, at least something has been done in the Marketplace. Maybe hidden things elsewhere.

So I will not try to play until another week.

Now ask me and unless everyone else is getting it that flap problem definitely has something to do with a mod or addon. Possibly it has messed your keyboard or controller settings so try looking there first

Drivers for a harddrive, you might be surprised but those are created by the same company they distributes MSFS.

It makes no sense but it works. I move it back and get a CTD when I press fly. So try to enlighten my why it works since the only thing changed is the game at a different drive. And some people moved it from an external SSD to internal drive and were also suddenly able to fly.

Looking at the extending list of programs Asobo don’t want you to use if you want to run MSFS I think there is a good chance you could be apply for a job at Zendesk. They blame all but themselves.

I use my PC for 3D/render so it’s used to be 100% active both CPU/GPU MSFS uses no where near that amount of power but still a vanilla game can crash if you press ‘FLY’. That’s simply stupid. I never had CTD’s before SU5 but not being able to get into a plane after an update…