CTD When Creating Manual Cache

You may have already seen by now, but I just saw your post. A notice was given to avoid manual cache for now, that the matter is “being investigated.” So, it got broke in UK update and needs to be repaired. I have attempted to make known in this forum, that I hope this issue is not placed on a back burner, but needs to be dealt with immediately. MSFS advertised this feature as a selling point. They need to keep it working, and also need to make it easier to use.

2 Likes

Same here CTD every time I try this and now I deleted the manual cache however the space is still used on my HDD. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I have a 1TB SSD I created a 250GB cache and now 250GB are being held for the cache even after I deleted it.

I think the only way to remove the cache file is to visit the directory you have set it to and delete the MANUALCACHE.CCC file manually. Even changing its size to 0GB in-game does not remove it.

I had created folders with the cities I wanted to cache, such as San Francisco, Chicago, etc. When I was in game and had to allocate space for each city, such as 10gb for San Francisco, another 10gb for Chicago, then MSFS assigned the 10gb on my hard drive whether I had used it or not. The game needs to allocated space to place the scenery. Therefore, you need to see where you told MSFS to manually cache your data, and delete it manually from your hard drive. Another poster mentioned this, I just wanted to broaden the explanation, hoping it makes sense. Good luck to all of us who want to use this feature when the developers fix it.

Is manual cache still broken (CTD) after Sim March update?

I got an immediate ctd when I tried to manually cache London after the update. It takes quite a while to set up the area to be cached and when it failed I shrugged and thought ‘not totally fixed yet, then’. I haven’t tried any other areas. I did notice that the release notes did say:

I guess time will tell what that specific crash might have been!

Which part of London and at what quality? I tried to cache a couple of areas both at Medium and High quality, and did not get any issues.

I limited the cache to the photogrammtery area, as best I could, at high quality, with a bit of medium to blend in.

I am encouraged that you have got other areas to work again :slight_smile:

I might try other areas myself now!

Actually I should have mentioned that I cached two areas in London, within the photogrammetry range. They were rather small though as I did not mean this to be more than a quick test. Tomorrow I will try and cache a bigger area to see if it still works.

Just updated to 1.14.5.0.
I tried to manual cache some capital city in South-East Asia with Medium-High quality.
No issues.

I can confirm that update fixes crash, at least in my case.
I don’t know city like Jakarta, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur are photogrammatery area or not.

I have just had a go at re-downloading photogrammetry in London. This time I chose a smaller area, Canary Wharf and Isle of Dogs, just to the west of London City airport. No ctd and it is slowly downloading the relevant data. Maybe smaller areas is the way to go!

Update: I was surprised to see that this small area (of less than 2 square miles) amounted to 2.15 GiB of data. It is entirely possible that the area I had originally chosen was just too large!

So the painted area doesn’t move around on it’s own for you fellows?

Yes it does for me in a slightly awkward way. I keep having to zoom out and in to reset the position.
It seems to be worse when panning vertically rather than horizontally.

Hi all,

I try this just now only for Narita Airport and its surrounding area. The sim CTD while trying to cache the area in High resolution. Community folder was emptied while doing this. I tried 6 times and 6 times the sim CTD.

Also, I noticed the grid box when highlighting the area you want to cache is moving away from the area when you scroll the map left, right, up or down. Never seen this before in older version.

The Sims have no issue downloading area in medium and low.

I tried to cache a fairly large part of London and the area around RJAA at High quality and did not suffer any CTDs (although I did not let the entire London cache download, it would take hours with my pitiful connection), however I did notice the tiles shifting position while panning the map. It happens even without any highlighted area. It’s a shame to see a feature like this neglected so much, the entire process is as cumbersome as it was at launch.

@OlieTsubasa443 I see that this was removed from the Known Issues list, could you please let the developers know that some people are still experiencing the issue? Thanks.

2 Likes

still ctd crashes while download to manual cashes after 1.14.5.0 (Sim Update 3) - more seldom but still.

what do those guys at asobo? since world update 3 they messed this sim up to be unplayable …

I’v tried to create manual cache after SIm Update III… So if you cover a relatively small area it’s typically working. When I’ve tried to add some bigger areas, it’s giving me CTD.

:+1: I am the original author of this thread and submitter of the official bug ticket for this and I can confirm that after Sim Update 3 (SU3), the manual cache creation is working again. This is based on the following:

:heavy_check_mark: Created multiple (seven) high-quality cache areas covering small areas of 15-20 square miles each.
:heavy_check_mark: Create a couple of medium-quality cache areas of approximately 30-40 square miles each.

Before SU3, I was unable to do this, as described in my original post above.

With the new update, I’m still getting the weird panning issue, as others say much more when panning vertically, but still slightly when panning left/right.

It also CTD’d for me on the very first area I tried to cache, which is Southend. I have the Orbx EGMC airport pack installed from the marketplace, and perhaps that’s the issue. I was pretty disappointed that it crashed, but thought I’d give another go, and everywhere else I’ve tried so far, including London, has cached without major incident.

But it’s a reliable CTD when trying to cache southend, even if I try to cache just EGMC and the immediate area, it’ll always CTD.

FWIW, I do also have the Orbx EGLC airport … so given that southend fails to cache, but London (including EGLC) doesn’t, implies that add-ons are irrelevant here. But no idea why Southend would fail … they did include some models in there of the pier I believe, but with no photogrammetry. But then I’ve also cached the white cliffs that were modelled (not photogrammetry), and that was fine.

So … ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hi,

unfortunately I can’t confirm - I still get these errors.
Sim Update III / Community folder is empty - I tried to cache EDDM (only the airport) in HIGH

Patiently waiting for a fix

cheers
Dominik

1 Like