CTD without error message after CPU overclock

MSFS has been notriously sensitive to slight instabilities ever since the release in August. So even if everything else runs well on overclocked values, and even if you don’t have problems after a stress test, you are still likely to get CTDs with overclocking.

You’ll either have to play around until you find MSFS-safe values or disable overclocking for MSFS.

I know it’s annoying, but it’s simply the way it is. I found that running my processor (rated 3.4MHz to 4.9 MHz) at 4.4 MHz kept the whole thing stable and I have no CTDs.

i’ve fall to your category for two years already when i broke my 9900K when they were released and managed to get first cpu’s from finnish markets.
oc’d it to 5.4ghz 1.3v stable as well so i was glad that i found “silicon lottery” but after one month all weird things started to happen.
returned cpu, mbo and ram compo and cpu was at fault (broken cuz oc) and after i got new cpu i havet oc’d literally anything ever since :joy:

some day… I was very young and had no idea what I do, I put “nitro” into my car fuel tank. After 5 minutes the engine explodes… what made I wrong ?

I tried to get warrenty from the car manufactor ( create a issue against him )… but he said… no no… it is so strange what happend… so so strange…

It’s just curious how default CPU/GPU overclocking affects no other games except MSFS. My instinct tells me the issue isn’t with so much overclocking in most cases, it’s just bad programming in an already unstable software title.

which you tell us in meanwhile in each of your posts…

Please… you should also put nitro into your car fuel tank and try what happens… The we can come back to your “instinct” :wink:

For the last time: I AM NOT OVERCLOCKING ANYTHING. I have logged more than 300 hours in MSFS. After the early March update, the game crashes all the time whether I slightly overclock anything or not.

It has got nothing to do with nitro and cars. I am not overclocking. Plus everything else is working fine. If you don’ t like my posts, don’t read them. Your answers offer nothing, especially as you don’t have any of these issues for whatever reason, you lucky you. Just ignore us.

The only thing that has helped me is disabling Xbox Game Bar. If I manage to launch a flight, then MSFS works well in 1440p Ultra settings and I have to admin the latest patch offers much smoother in-flight performance. The game seems to be crashing only if it’s in windowed mode and ONLY in main menu or (sometimes) when I press the Windows key.

Yes, you are absolutely right that an unstable overclock can crash the game and it wouldn’t be the game’s fault. But this is not the usual case, and it’s certainly not my case.

Xbox Game Bar doesn’t affect any other game and I’ve tried dozens.

It has got nothing to do with overclocking. It’s just bad code or some very bad conflict with something else and that’s the end of it. This is the reason the game can crash in a million different ways as each report here seems to be different. The common demoninator is vcruntime140.dll and a couple of other errors.

Sounds like your OC is not rock solid stable. The moment you drop or corrupt some data because of the OC it crashes. It’s that simple.

1 Like

then why you blame here , within an " I overcloack my PC and wonder me why my PC crash" - thread again the developers ? :slight_smile:

I read your posts about these XBox-Gamebar-Solution in other thread(s), but it is not the topic here. I can not confirm this solution, because I ever disable all these Xbox* stuff, thus other users, within the other thread, can confirm your solution or whether they have same issue.

Yes, this is not the topic here, I’ll stand down.