CTDs are back

Since SU 8 I have experienced CTDs as I did prior. In the prior scenario, limiting the FPS to 30 seemed to do the trick.

Recently, even with the FPS limited, I am back to CTDs.

I am running an i7 w/ an 3070ti.

In using Afterburner and monitoring my GPU and CPU temps while in-game, the max temps I have seen for the GPU is 76C, in the CPU 65C. From what I have gathered, this should be well within the operating limits for the 3070ti.

I have emptied my community folder as well. Any ideas on a solution? What other info can I provide to be helpful?

FlightSimulator.exe
FlightSimulator.exe
c0000005
0000000001b9b9ca
1c04
01d843a4a89aec6f
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.24.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.24.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
c27d5d07-ef63-4767-b8e4-331706fb1b96
Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.24.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
App

That’s the most common crash in this sim and it has many causes including bugs in the code.

Try disabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows advanced graphics settings if that is enabled.

Try disabling all marketplace addons if you have any.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Any hope for a fix to this crash type?

Hi,
I wish the developers would come up with a crash log utility similar to XP ‘s Log.txt, which would pinpoint the offending piece in MSFS or conflicting addon causing a freeze or CTD.

19 Likes

That would be a godsend, it really would.

2 Likes

Hi, since the begining of 2022, didn’t had a lot of ctd, and since the last world update they are back, server side I think, but hey as usual microsoft will say the online services don’t have any problem !

3 Likes

Depending on how repeatable they are, the advice usually proffered is to empty your Community folder, and not allow external tools to connect to the sim, where possible.

That’s the only way to know whether the issue is the sim itself or a third party product.

For me, my causes were conflicting mods, that would randomly cause crashes, and I believe LittleNavMap, which stopped when I continued using it but not let it connect to the sim.

Welcome to the club. I’ve been enduring CTDs since SU5 with the same error code. People here will tell you it’s your fault, but it’s not. The sim’s code is faulty and needs to be fixed. Quite why it’s taking so long, I have no idea. Perhaps when they lose half their users, they might pay attention and do something about it. At this stage I’m not holding out much hope though.

4 Likes

No one doubts the code, but since it doesn’t affect all users equally there must be something on your system that triggers these bugs that doesn’t for me, for example. I don’t tend to get CTD’s now. I don’t even remember the last time I had one.

I assume you have gone through all the recommended steps, including flying with only first party code running i.e. no Community mods, and no external tools connecting to the sim, which would include things like FSUIPC etc.?

some have ctd’s and others not.
asosbo cannot fix bugs that occur at the user side.
if it was as bad as you claim, no one would be able to fly, but evry day many thou od users fly happily.

1 Like

this still points to a issue with your system
 If prior your system needed these limit to manage the game, something is and was wrong
 It can be the GPU , but also other components in your PC can cause it , eg. the PSU.

Bug in game is always possible, but with this kind of “previous illness” may be the less probable reason.

EDIT: now I also rechecked our former discussion / topic. Is it still only if you click “fly now” ?.. To be sure: Had you ever the google maps addon installed ?

The CTDs have only happened after “Fly Now” at various points within the flight, but usually within the first several minutes

Never had the google maps add-on.

This last time my GPU was at 75C, 1800mhz and 280w. 100% under load. Around 40 FPS. Based on this, do you still think the GPU may be the cause?

How can I test the PSU to rule that out as a possible problem?

Do you still get them in Safe Mode? I run clean without any CTDs and I own a ton of add-ons. I’m running NVIDIA DCH 511.79 GPU drivers.

I hear ya. Same issue.

Prior to SU7, I very very rarely had CTD’s.

I turned off HAG’s and that fixed things. Then when SU8 was released, CTD’s started up again with HAG’s disabled. Removing Community ■■■■ didn’t solve anything.

Today I’m lucky if I can complete 1 flight in 10, Short flights under an hour.

Hoping SU9 gets me back in business.

2 Likes

Actually, I did try Safe Mode on flights in two different aircraft for 15 mins or so each and did not have any CTD.

So this would then point to an add-on causing the CTDs then, is that safe to say?

Yes, most likely a mod. Could be Market purchased stuff or Community Folder addons. Safe Mode disables both the Marketplace purchases and the Community folder.

First try to rename your community folder and see if that clears the CTDs, then you know it’s something in the Community folder.

If you get them with the Community folder renamed, then it must be something from the Marketplace. Go to you content manager and make sure that there are no outstanding updated from the Marketplace. And if there are some updates, then do the updates.

If things run clean with the Marketplace stuff, then create a new Community folder and slow move things over until you can narrow down which mod could be causing the problem.

A good tactic for finding a potential mod issue, whether issuing an addon linker or not, is to keep halving. Test one half, then the other half. Rinse,repeat.

Before World Update 8 I didn’t have a CTD either, after this update I’ve already had several CTD.

I don’t have any add-on.

Do you have any external tools connecting to the sim? Examples would be LittleNavMap, Volanta, things like that.

Tried another flight last night and had CTD but this time was preceded by a Microsoft Visual C++ error. With this one, I had reinstalled the FBW dev version as well as Rex Airport Textures. Never had the C++ error before so now I am thoroughly confused. Could the other CTDs be caused by this even though the error message had not popped up, or am I looking at a separate issue?