CTDs ever since patch to fix stutters

See a lot of CTD threads but have had 0 (zero) CTDs since the launch of MSFS between two systems.

Best uninstall all 3rd-party mods including in-game Marketplace, disable overclocking, disable XMP, apply Balanced (recommended) Windows power plan, remove GPU riser if equipped, disable MSFS Dev mode, etc. and see how things perform from there.

PC#1.
Intel i7-5820K (stock clocks) with AIO
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (stock clocks)
Corsair 64GB DDR4 (stock clocks) with fan coolers
Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme board
SSD (Windows, MSFS game drive)
Adata M.2 NVMe (MSFS Package drive)
Cougar 1000W 80+ Bronze

PC#2.
Intel i9-10850K (stock clocks) with AIO
Nvidia MSI 3080 OC (manufacture clocks)
TeamGroup 128GB DDR4 (stock clocks)
Asus Z490-V Prime board
Samsung SSD (Windows, MSFS game drive)
Adata M.2 NVMe (MSFS Package drive)
Cougar 850W 80+ Gold

*Note: *
PC #2 has latest drivers, latest updates, most recent stable CPU/GPU BIOS versions, XMP disabled, and system is ReBAR supported/enabled.

Well, good for you, but rest assured that it’s in many cases not the user’s or their system’s fault since other games are running fine.

Yes there are ways to minimize the risk to have CTDs, but most crashes are simply an issue of the sim and you just need to feel lucky if you for some reason do not suffer from them.

Even if the CTD is happening with a mod or addon, it all is down to some bug in the sim. There should be no way for third party content to cause a CTD if the API/SDK is done well.

Yeah, well, good for me :roll_eyes:

You got that a bit backwards, most CTDs are in fact user error… does MSFS have issues and are some causing crashes and performance issues, of course! Your logic is one-sided given it does not remove fault from the software if other users are running it fine.

You can point a finger at the developers and their software, but most topics about crashes and even a good amount of performance issues were the result of user modification, unstable system overclocking, simply not meeting system requirements, or users ranting they can’t maintain 60+fps in 4K with every setting maxed out.
^
Example:
*I have a friend who suffered from many CTDs on approaches… until he stopped trying to run MSFS on Ultra on a 4K TV with a budget MSI i5 GTX 1650 laptop pumping out single-digit frames. *
Another friend has been CTD-free since he purchased MSFS… no mods, no OCing, etc.

Appears you only intend to put all the blame on MSFS and the developers and ignore the fact that a mod or issue within the mod itself can be the root cause of a crash.

If your goal in this forum is to make the developers and their software look bad, hype up MSFS’s competition, etc. - you won’t get far!

In case of CTDs and the lack of clear logfiles allowing to see what actually caused it, yes I do.
If it’s a driver issue or overheating issue, there are clear signs of crashing and most people here do not overclock their hardware.

Running 4K with single digit frames should be no issue for a game at all (but for the user). As long as your hardware is fine and not overheating, that should not be a reason for CTDs.

Blaming the casual player is certainly not the way forward. Most players here are quite well aware of how to keep a system stable and tidy and up to date, but that doesn’t help for many of the observed CTDs.
And as soon as it’s just up to luck if you face CTDs or not while everything else including benchmarks is running flawlessly, yes, MSFS is to blame unless proven otherwise.

Maybe you should explain how you came up with this insinuation. We’re talking about bugs, the rest is your imagination.
My “goal” is to get issues solved. Telling people that you don’t have their issue is certainly not helping that case.

Yes my friends and I have had constant issues with ctds. Especially in Vr. Never really had issues with stability before. But since the hotfix it’s unplayable now. I can’t even work out what is causing or give instructions on how to reproduce it. It’s random. There are occasions where the ctd will occur when switching to vr mode.

1 Like

So you admit your only intentions are to put blame on Microsoft/rtc. and excuse the fact that those very logs, that you cant clearly review, may point to user-error instead of the software.
Also, no two hardware or software are equal…

According to what statistic, what proof, etc.?
You only bring negatively bias opinion/argument towards the developer and their software to this conversation and present it as hard evidence that no user is to blame for their problems.

I don’t have to explain anything here… and you aren’t helping anyone solve anything by insisting the developer and/or software alone is to blame and completely ignoring/removing the user from equation and setting your crosshairs on the dev/MSFS when many have not experienced a single MSFS related CTD since release.

If you want to help then ask some of the following questions instead of biasly playing the blame-game and suggesting the developer and software alone are the problem…
What are your system specifications?
What are your current MSFS settings?
Are you accessing MSFS via MS Store, Steam, etc?
Are you using VR, which VR, what software/drivers?
Are you using mods during the CTD?
Have you performed a MSFS app reset or repair?
Have you modified the game config files?
Have you modified your GPU control Panel settings?
What OS and OS version do you use?
Is your OS up-to-date?
Is your BIOS and drivers up to date?
Are you overclocked at the time of the CTD?
Are you using XMP at the time of CTD?
Are you using any form of PCI/PCIe riser cable?
etc.

^ that I can understand

VR alone can introduce a whole-nother level of problem, compatibility issues, and requirements ontop of the game’s. Unfortunately takes both sides to resolve and improve VR.

We went through this a lot of times already, in most cases the results were completely useless since affected users reported a wide variety of setups etc.
Also CTDs suddenly starting after a MSFS update clearly are rooted in the software.

I won’t reply to the rest of your post since it doesn’t bring anyone here in the thread forward.

Same issues here. Before the stutters update CTDs were extremely rare for me, now it has become unplayable. As with others, I have tried everything I can think of (everything up to date, cleared community folder, tried rolling back NVidia driver etc). Switching between VR and normal mode seems to cause it the most, but it does not seem to be exclusive to VR.

When? Where?
I don’t see detailed information in this ±29 comment discussion…

In the hundreds of other CTD reporting threads.

Also note that the issues in this thread started after an update, not sure why you are going for hardware or user faults. But I’m done here.

Gocha… I can only assume discussions, many of which in general are closed without much help, are treated as their own issue(s)/problem(s) since most can’t be solved by one solution.

Thats where the ticket system, which requires far more detailed information, comes in.
If the software is the root cause then submitting a ticket is the right way to resolve it.