CTDs when turning cockpit knobs - absolutely fed up

tl;dr Tried everything (short of resetting my entire PC) including reinstalling the sim and dumping community .

Basically my sim randomly quits when turning knobs/buttons - mainly in VR (in flat mode it rarely - although not never - crashes).

Been doing this for months. Upon reading another post on here it seems that corrupted files are the issue and when I did the sim reinstall there were four files I was not able to remove but it seems they are removed now.

Would removing the cache do any good?

I’m probably gonna have to quit the sim until 2024 I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

It is always good practice to empty any cache files before you start the sim after an update.

Thanks I did do just that (it was actually pretty large) but not getting my hopes up.

I wonder if there could be an installed add on (through the sim, not community folder) causing this.

Try running the sim in safe mode.
That starts it without any addons.

Sorry, now it’s gotten full nuclear. It CTD’d when scrolling through the map in the menus. It does it on the loading screens. I never can even get off the ground. Emptied the community folder. Emptied the cache. Already had uninstalled and reinstalled the game.

Maybe I didn’t re-install the game correctly? Is there some guide to doing that properly? Maybe my whole computer is messed up; like has it gotten to the point I need to literally reset my PC? Where do I find the crash logs?

Sorry to vent, but just really hoping you can help a man down here.

Ignore the quote symbols in all the commands you see.

Open a Command Prompt as administrator.

Open Start.
Search for CMD and select the Run as administrator option in the upper right of the results box.

Run steps 1 - 3.

1. Type the following command to perform a quick check and press Enter:
    “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth”

2. Then, in the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter.
    “sfc /scannow”

3. Last CMD command, you can run “chkdsk /f /r C:” or replace C: with whatever drive letter you use. that will scan and repair the whole disk for errors as well. Its a little more robust in CMD than the utility.

Lastly, open Start, type “Memory Diagnostics” into the Windows Search bar and run it.

1 Like

Ok I ran #2 and this is what it said:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

As for #3, I had only recently gotten a new SSD and reinstalled MSFS on it so I can’t see why it would have issues.

It won’t hurt anything to run CHKDSK. There could be a bad sector, or index files may have gotten messed up.