Current issue with live weather and associated ctd (and possibly black screen on xbox)

ok thank you… I hope they solve the problem

Yesterday I experienced 3 CTDs with live weather and the A320NX.
Today I completed the same flight using a pre set weather, and no problems. In addition the clouds and weather looked more natural, and obviously there were none of these ridiculously abrupt weather changes. I tailored departure and arrival conditions to match the METARS, so until somebody pulls there fingers out and gets to grips with the deteriorating weather situation I will fly without live weather. The Sim seemed smoother as well.

3 Likes

Hello Asobo/MSFS team, the solution is to fix the servers! It’s all on your side. The recent CTDs, significant stutters (past few days) are directly related to the server issues you are having. Nothing else is the reason for it. There sure are other issues with the sim but at this point the recent CTD issues which a lot of people are experiencing are only the result of servers. Thank you for trying to fix this.

No, the solution is to make the sim tolerant of bad or incorrect data and put in routines to reject corrupt/incomplete/blatantly wrong data without crashing. Everyone around the world has different ISPs, different home/LAN configurations, different PC hardware, but the sim code - the only thing common to everyone - should be able to deal with bad data gracefully, not catastrophically.

Fundamentally, this is actually the same kind of issue that allows malformed PDFs to crash PCs or hijack them with malware, or carefully-crafted bogus SMS messages to hijack mobile phones.

The sim has GOT to be more robust, period.

10 Likes

Someone told me about Rex Weather for msfs and it seems to work. I think that Asobo should give up on weather and let third parties develop good addons that work. Asobo/Microsoft/Xbox seem reluctant to have an open sim platform for some reason. $$?

2 Likes

In the most recent dev update, making a weather API had changed from “not planned” to “under investigation” IIRC

2 Likes

Well that’s encouraging. Maybe they are coming to their senses.

1 Like

Well, you are much smarter than me, but my point was this has nothing to do with the peoples’ rigs, addons, etc. It’s on Asobo/MSFS end and I am not sure how we can help them on the user end!

1 Like

I’m on the beta build and was having an issue where I would start a flight, fly for about 30 mins and just start getting hammered with stuttering. I’m thinking this was the same issue. I would just start dropping frames, I also noticed it would happen when a metar would load.

I also noticed if I did the preset before the flight, the flight was fine. So I think I’ve been having this issue too.

1 Like

Got a CTD on descent into JFK along with CRAZY stutters and audio crackling before and afterwards. Can confirm, a working sim would be just fine by me.

4 Likes

Open your weather system up to 3rd party devs so that we have the choice to switch. Because this will be a constant issue.

9 Likes

i had a ctd when weather changed on live weather… It’s majorly broken right now anyway. has been since december.

Temps are not correct either. Ex.
8c on the ground when it’s actually 0c , Then when climbing the temp goes up??

3 Likes

You can have a temperature inversion. Temps can go up with height.

A post was merged into an existing topic: “Your game license cannot be authenticated” issue upon starting MSFS

Yes IRL… but I doubt Rex weather gets enough data from METARs to simulate temp inversions.

Who wants to bet that the live weather issue is because of the year change? I’ve seen this as a classic issue in software development over the years where coding hasn’t taken into account the new year date change and thinks its searching for 2021 data instead of 2022.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised lol

1 Like

Well it did cause Exchange servers to go down globally because of a bad code switch so I wouldn’t doubt it.

2 Likes

Had some CTD on Beta with live weather (yesterday & today). Turned it off as per recommendation and no CTD’s ,all flights were smooth.