Custom ground layer isn't loading, when using multiple airports containing CGL file

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

When multiple packages with CGL files (Custom Ground Layer) from the same area (most airfields in the UK use a single CGL file), MSFS seems to randomly miss some of the packages. This results in the default Bing textures being displayed instead of custom texture.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Debug > Display position)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Have multiple airports in the community folder, that contains a CGL-file.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Same issue since SU12.
Seems to happen specifically when multiple sceneries from the same region use the same CGL file; certain ground textures get missed or forgotten in the loading process.

1 Like

These topics should be linked in some way

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bing-ground-textures-show-planes-and-runway-number-under-ontop-bbd-payware-airfields/579574?u=insectmarigold9

Does some one know how many CGL-files that can be loaded, before custom ground layer isn’t working anymore?

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Happens on a lot of different sceneries since SU12, so seems to be a general Asobo problem.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Example see this topic:
EHMZ -> Background sat-map not showing anymore - Airfields - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

1 Like

Hi,

The problem of the initial post is maybe not clear, it’s now logged as feedback while it should be logged as a bug.

The issue is if there is more then 1 or 2 airports in the same area, which has a CGL-file with the same name, for example sai202.cgl, for Dutch/Belgium airport, more of the CGL-files are NOT loaded by MSFS.
Before SU12 this was not a problem.

This is reproduceable by installing more then 2 airports in the same area which contain a sat-background mapname (not same background map/texture, only the same name/area).

3 Likes

Why do we even need to vote for this. It’s a bug that needs to be logged accordingly and fixed ASAP.

4 Likes

Any mods know why this has been incorrectly labelled as “feedback”? Its a bug.

Just to add further info. The bug is also present on Marketplace purchases on both PC and Xbox.

2 Likes

i have a feeling this bug will never be fixed

@Gobby85 @Garfield9910 @SmugVolcano8376 Hi, I’m not a mod, but the tags are explained here:

2 Likes

Seems they finally (2 months after the release of SU12 they changed it from “feedback-logged” into “bug-logged”. So all comments above were valid. :slight_smile:

To simply:

• The problem is not a single airport.

• Every single airport works fine.

• Combination of more airports (seems with 9 or more) within the same (CGL) area in the community-folder is the problem 

• Also confirmed the problem can pop-up at the XBox, with more payware sceneries in the offical folder(s) within the same area

• This was not a problem before SU12

• This is now a problem since SU12

So plain and simple it’s a bug introduced since SU12 and can affect any freeware of payware addon which uses custom CGL’s (sat picture background).

3 Likes

It’s about time this bug is going to be fixed, some of the lovely grass airfield sceneries look awful because of this!
This really should have been dealt with a hot fix right after SU12 release. At least there seems to be progress somewhere at Asobo, that’s a good sign.

1 Like

World update 14 installed and I’m seeing the same bug.

For anyone still following this topic, we did get a response from Asobo on this matter:

I was finally able to have a reliable reproduction of the bug.
So we now have something to investigate further.

However, this system being rather complex and our first few investigations showing the issue runs deep into it, I don’t expect us to be able to provide a fix shortly.

I will let you know as soon as we move forward on this.
In the meantime, possible workarounds are to change airport packages priorities (latest mounted packages are less likely to have the issue as far as we could see) or, as you mentioned already, having less than 8/9 packages with CGL in the same area (Level 6 in the Bing Map tile system)

2 Likes

It seems problem is fixed.

How do you know that please?

Where did you get that info? Would be fantastic if it’s true, but I find it hard to belive it’s “already” been solved.

I have created several airfields with CGL. Since yesterday this works again with me . No idea what has changed. My airfields EDFL and EDKF for example now have the correct ground textures again. These were not loaded for a long time.

If you have less than 8-9 CGL files loaded it should be ok. More than that makes some cgl files not load.

The SU13 change log does not contain a fix for this issue it seems :pensive: