Custom weather setting not working (resets to default values on flight start)

Brief description of the issue:
The changes you make in custom weather setting in the menu (prior to starting your flight) do not work, they reset to default values once you start your flight and the weather has to be edited manually afterwards.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Choose any aircraft anywhere
  2. Flight Conditions - Set for example Broken Clouds preset
  3. Weather & Time setting - set to Custom
  4. Change any setting (set high snow depth, set different temperature, different pressure)
  5. Start the flight
    -none of the changes work, all setting except the Broken Clouds preset resets to default
  • apart from not seeing any snow at all, you can also check via the Weather dropdown menu that everything is default, this includes cloud heights, and wind

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder?
No
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
No

I’m wondering did no one ever noticed this? Is everyone just using Live weather all the time?

I noticed, it so I change the settings once the game is loaded now.

Thankfully that works. But there’s a slight issue that if you change the weather in game, parts of the ATIS report don’t change
 and there might also already be air traffic using the wrong runway, due to wind direction change for example

And before you know all this you waste a lot of time with the setting for nothing.

Having the same issues! Really frustrating that this is not working as it should

1 Like

The ‘Wind Gust’ settings are not saving in the user created pre-set either, settings revert to ‘Frequency 0’ ‘Speed 0’ and the gust direction sets itself to South which I presume is a sim default setting. It’s really bad that the sim ‘save flight’ function and weather saving function is broke, such features should be made a priority in an advanced simulator like this as its such a fundamental thing to have in a flight sim. My weather pre-sets do save as I have set them i.e cloud layers, height, wind direction and speed, temp etc, but the gust saving feature is broke. It seems users are experiencing different weather issues and functionality on different systems.

Same issue here.
I choose a location for departure, set custom weather. But after the flight is loaded, all custom settings have been ignored.

1 Like

Confirmed. Having the same issue after I was wondering why some ocean bays in Antarctica are covered in ice with “Live Weather” only while no other weather settings caused them to freeze up.

Changing the temperature to sub zero (celsius) levels after starting the flight won’t help as the scenery will not be releoaded when making the changes in-game.

Confirmed. Annoying but I guess you can always just set the weather in-game instead.

1 Like

also on a similar issue:
You can save cloud density settings of 0.00 through 5.00 but when you load that saved custom weather theme back in, the density values are often reset to the default of 1.0

I’d like to be able to save/load the files correctly with density values higher than 1.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Only weather pre-sets will change weather from world map. Adjusting weather settings individually (Clouds, wind, temperature, etc.) will not load these weather changes to the flight. Also, adjusting the time in the weather and time menu will adjust time in UTC, even though it displays in local time.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

N/A (all)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

N/A - not live weather

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Set weather using sliders in “Flight Conditions” in world map. Click “fly now.” Weather has not changed. Also, Change time in “Flight Conditions” and note that sun position on globe correlates to UTC rather than local time.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

NA

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. If you try to make changes in the weather using the Flight Conditions in the world map, those changes will not be imported into the flight - you have to set the weather once you’ve spawned into the session.

Not a biggy - just know you have to change the weather once you’ve loaded the flight, and don’t bother changing it in the world map. But I don’t think this is how the devs designed it to work.

The other quirk is that if you change the time using the weather settings menu, it changes the time in UTC, even though it shows local time. If you use the time slider at the bottom left of the world map screen, it changes it in local time.

1 Like

May 2023 Dev Stream suggested we could use the “UI” tag for suggested UI improvements.

On the home WEATHER AND TIME menu, if you select a weather preset (e.g. “Clear Skies”) and then update the weather settings e.g. to adjust the wind, and click CLOSE then FLY, then the sim still loads the ORIGINAL preset settings.

This is very counter-intuitive - the obvious thing to do would be to load into the sim with the user weather settings including whatever adjustments have been made there, rather than to discard those.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

No

If I set a snow cover from the World Map >> Flight Conditions >> Snow Depth and then hit fly there will be no snow cover. I can still open the weather menu from the game menu and move the snow cover and that will work. It just doesn’t seem to work if I set the snow depth from the flight planning view

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

not important (I tested EGCL)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

time/date is unimportant. Any time/date will give same result but in screenshot it was set to 2024-04-05 11:52UTC

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

(see brief description)

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i9 11900K 64Gb DDR4 RTX4090

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

yes, but not sure if this is really a bug or it works like this “by design”.

Tests I have made:
1- If I change some custom weather preset settings (can be snow, precipitation, etc
) prior starting a flight, the values I changed will roll back to the default ones once the flight started
2- If I change custom weather preset settings (can be snow, precipitation, etc
) prior starting a flight, saving it as a weather custom preset, the values I changed will be used once the flight started

I understand that once a flight is started you can modify a default custom weather preset and your new value will be used without the need of saving it as a custom preset so that is why you think that it should work that way when modify a preset prior starting a flight. Let’s see devs feedback on this.

2 Likes

I do these settings now from inside the aircraft as it never works before loading a flight but it is still not always saving. Today I set NE wind to force ATC to use the runway I chose but ATCt told me to take off in the opposite direction, which I did then turned 180 deg to get back on Flightplan. As I flew I checked the settings and saw that the wind was back to default - 270 deg.
It’s very frustrating to have to keep rechecking everything.
Tony

Did you also change the gust direction to it have similar to the wind direction you changed ?:

I just did a test, and by changing both in a custom preset once flight is started, wind direction stays with the setting I changed.

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for your reply. I’ve made sure to set the gust and wind directions to exactly the same headings. It’s possible that I may have done something else wrong. In any case once I set all the weather parameters AFTER I’ve loaded the aircraft then all settings stick.
Tony

1 Like