Dark Star. Awesome

• think there is 2 beacons switches that have to be set before doing the scam jet activation, but I could be wrong these two beacon light steps might not have anything to do with the scram jet, I just remember having to do it in the challenge.

Rockitglider

@LynxAir8200 , you ‘must’ activate a button on your joystick or keyboard that activates (on/off) your ‘afterburners’. You want the one that is ‘all afterburners’ so that one switch turns on all afterburners.

With Afterburners, you easily punch through Mach 1. and start going steadily and smoothly up to Mach 3, then turn on your Scramjets to go from Mach 3+ up into the higher speed ranges.

Afterburners are needed… and your fuel cell for electricity when turbines go offline.

You need to be going at least Mach 1.5 by the time you reach 10 degree pitch otherwise you will not be able to keep building speed, so pull up slower out of your dive. If you do a 1.2G pull like the procedure says you won’t have a problem.

1 Like

This jet rocks… Thank you Team Asobo… and Lockheed Martin… and the team that made Top Gun!

:+1:

1 Like

Does anyone know why my engines (the normal ones) turn off?
It is unrecoverable. They lose power and turn off.

@LynxAir8200,

I wonder if you have full tanks. When you do a normal run, (not the adventure flight), the sim starts you with half tanks. Make sure you top-off before take-off.

Also note that you will need to turn on the energy cell when going to scram-jets as the turbines shut down when using rocket mode. The energy cell will keep your batteries up.

Yes.
I take off, climb, put on afterburners, reach match 1, lower the nose a bit (or turn the plane upside down) and the match goes up to 1.5, put it back up and reach match 3,65.
Once there I put the airframe on, activate the SCRAM and get match +9.

When I want to go down. I lower the nose and a little bit the speed, when I’m at 70.000 feet I remove SCRAM and airframe. Normal engines start again. 3-4 minutes pass and I lose power. ALL.
I always end up crashing. The plane goes into stall.

I’ve tried trying to restart engines, generators, apus…

On Sunday I went from Lakenheath to Goose Bay and back again in 1h 45 min :slight_smile:

1 Like

■■■■… I havent got that far yet. I still need to do the Area-51 to Florida run. I hope you figure it out. Has to be something simple.
Remember, the jets will not run well over 3.5 Mach.

Ok. I dont have any idea.

Captura de pantalla (781)_LI
If those two tanks run out, the plane goes down.
I didn’t last more than 10 minutes with normal propulsion (not scram) and 100% fuel.

1 Like

Just curious if a group of people have done a formation flight with the Dark Star? Don’t know why but I visually think that would be amazing.

1 Like

I love the aircraft but I don’t like the flight it gave us in the top gun activities because I thought it was better doing it in reverse because most people would actually be able to find San Diego over some base I’m not familiar with in the coastal Carolinas area because the only bases I actually can find on the east coast is the one in Pensacola Florida and USMC Beauford SC

1 Like

Are you using afterburners?

Beautiful thing. Just sitting in the hanger, its nice to look at.

I watched a video on YouTube lastnight by the film crew of Top Gun Maverick about this jet. Very interesting story.

I noted that in the movie, there are line graphics on the jet, along the top. Panel lines, like the CIA version SR-71. I think this version looks better. Cleaner. But it would be cool if someone came out with a version like the movie had as a optional paint scheme. Just an idea. I wonder if someone has figured out how to repaint them yet?

The field you’re landing at in the Darkstar activity is KXMR, i.e. the “other” runway at Cape Canaveral that’s not the one the space shuttle landed on. (The Shuttle Landing Facility (KTTS) runway has a weird surface that increases friction, as the orbiter obviously couldn’t do a go-around.)

While the cloud cover and the fact that it’s getting dark on the east coast in the scenario doesn’t help, you can make out the shape of the Cape from a ways out if you know what to look for.

1 Like

I finally made it on the trans continental flight to Canaveral. I believe I landed on the wrong runway of the two. I didnt see the longer one inline with my approach, opted for the left pattern smaller runway and safely put down and stopped in time. Taxiid to a hanger and shut her down.

Radical.

I accidentally went over-altitude, over 200,000 feet, and overspeed, Mach 9.4. I think I didnt burn up because I was up so high, super thin air.

At 30,0 Ft, I couldnt get engine one to start, only engine two. Started to spin, put the throttle to idle, found generator 1 was off. Turned that on, reattempted startups on number one, got her running, and made it in safely. With throttle off, she settled down out of her odd cork-screw barrel roll / spin from having one enging at 1/3rd power.

I decided that instead of doing the nose up decelleration, I just throttled to zero and decellerated and it worked fine.

1 Like

Navigation is crazy. No map. I used GPS line on the mini map as my direction, and Distance as my distance to target. Also Mach on the top of the cabin and in this screen, and altitude as it is here.

Victory!!

Parked and shut down.

Figure 200+ knots on pattern airspeed. I am guessing 175 knots is stall so approach over the fence about 180 knots. Throttle off as you pass the fence.

Unfortunately there is one major flaw in the Dark Star, an otherwise excellent airplane!
The turbine inlet fan is not spinning.

In DCS I delete jet airplanes with a static turbine fan (unfortunately I had to say goodbye to the new A-10 version because of this visual flaw, in the exhaust the low pressure turbine was not rotating) and unfortunately I also must keep my high visual standards also in FS20.

Too bad, it was a very promising airplane with interesting Mach numbers. :frowning: But maybe after the next patch the N1 fan will be animated.