Darkstar Discrepancies

I’ve downloaded the Top Gun dlc. Not that I give two hoots about the movie or jet fighters, but I wanted to fly the Darkstar.

I’m currently cruising at 270,000 ft according to the altitude readout in external camera mode.

However, when I go back to the cockpit and look at the altitude readout there, I’m allegedly at 134,000 ft and climbing 21000 fps.

MSFS doesn’t know what the left and right hands are doing. :rofl:

Yea, from what I hear it’s not incredibly accurate, it’s almost as if they didn’t even send a team over to check out the real one…

:wink:

2 Likes

Error on the pressure altitude readout gets really wonky at these altitudes. :smiley:

The external HUD will show you the actual altitude, which would be the same as you’d get from an in-sim GPS unit or relayed to an external EFB utility, and that’s going to have a hard ceiling at 270,000 feet because the simulator enforces that as an arbitrary limit.

Yes, very inaccurate. :rofl:

However, it is fun to fly the Darkstar. I just wish they had a window up front - makes it so much more difficult to land when you can’t see in front of you.

I am sure earlier incarnations of FS allowed you to hide the cockpit, giving you an unobstructed view from your seat. I know there is the external camera mode, but the hidden cockpit view was good back then.

who knew a fictional aircraft could be so wholly unrealistic?

4 Likes

I kind of like the challenge of landing it using the synthetic vision. With some planning and practice, it gets (a little) easier.

I find in the old WWI biplanes that sticking my head out the side helps with landing visibility – will that work with the Darkstar? :wink:

1 Like

was thinking the same thing.

thats how all my spitfire approaches were.

1 Like

This was the guy that pioneered this landing technique

1 Like