Darkstar - Landing at RAF Rock of Gibraltar Air Base - LXGB

I didn’t know what was impossible, so I did it.

I’ve got some thing like 48 hours on the Darkstar now and I must say that the Rock, at just 5,833 feet (1,778 meters) is pushing the limits of this plane’s capabilities.

I think If I were perfect (by far from it) the plane could possibly land on 5,000 feet in good conditions. Not much less than that.

Enjoy - per usual the video is the technical part, so here’s some screenshots of the flight.

Technical info: at 3:30 I’m at 85% thrust - I noticed instability in my pitch which indicates I’m close to a stall so I upped the thrust to 87% which stabilized everything.

You fly the version with the reinforced landing gear, right?
With a sink rate of 2000+ fps at touchdown, nothing else would do :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure 2000 is about the max. I have hit-or-miss results where 2000 or a little over is an automatic “you’ve damaged landing gear” crash, but I’m trying to get landings that are within 750-500 feet/min. It’s very tough because about that rate I start to “float”. But I’m figuring it out.

As for version - I’m pretty literal of a person so I can’t tell if you’re referring to the “emergency landing gear” switch which to me seems to do nothing, or if you’re joking about what a heavy gear it’d need to take such an impact.

I agree either way. 2000+ is too much. I need to get better at reducing it.

I was joking about the reinforced gear version…

But not in a negative way - I was quite impressed to watch how well you manage that beast! :+1:

1 Like

Nice, thanks man! Yeah been trying to formalize a way of flying the Darkstar because I feel like a lot of people try it and stop using it - then they don’t realize how challenging it really is.

Flying it one scripted way = getting lucky a few times and it flies “well enough”. But for instance if you have too high a vertical speed when disengaging the afterburners you’ll spin out of control and break apart.

But I doubt anyone figured that out - they just think they randomly crash and give up, I bet.