DC-3 and Grumman Goose throttles drop to idle when tail wheel comes up!

Is this a bug? Downloaded the 40th Anniversary update this week and went straight to the DC-3. Everything appears OK until the tail wheel comes up and you need to apply a bit of rudder to keep it straight. Applying the tiniest bit of rudder and or Elevator causes the throttles drop back to idle. It is possible to keep the throttles up, but this requires constant input (pushing them up). Also … at times, during take off, the throttles will jump up and down in the gate very erratically. These issues occur with the Grumman Goose also. Does NOT occur with the Ryan or the Beaver, so I’m thinking this has something to do with twin or multi-engine props? No problems with the Beechcraft though, or other msfs twin props.

Replicated this issue at various locations worldwide. If launched mid-air, throttles work perfectly.
Problem occurs with various controllers … so probably not hardware-specific.

The only third-party addons installed are UK-related scenery, but as I said, the Ryan and the Beaver both work perfectly.

Technical Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB RAM
Graphics - Radeon RX6600XT 8GB RAM
MSFS installed on dedicated SSD

Controllers:
Saitek/Logitech Flightyoke/Pedals or Cyborg EVO Joystick

1 Like

Further to my initial post …

I can confirm that this issue is confined to land-based take-offs. The Grumman throttles behave correctly while performing a take-off from water.

Can confirm having the same problem. The DC -3 throttles shut off at about 50 kph on take off and then do not work properly. If I teleport the aircraft the throttles work correctly. If I land and take off again after teleporting then throttles work correctly.

1 Like

I also confirm this throttle mis-behavior. It does not happen with other twins. It seems to also affect the rudder control which becomes supersensitive at the same time so can’t keep straight on runway. One time I did manage to take off under the reduced power then after I got airborne the throttles behaved normally. A temporary work-around is to use slew mode to raise off the runway (I raised to 1000ft) then return to ground before take-off which solves the problem as reported by ferretman924.

1 Like

Dear BWFerret, I have the same issue. Did you get it fixed in the meantime and is so how? Kind regards, F.

Hi SlipshodWave706, Glad to hear it isn’t just me, and at least one other. Problem still persists. I haven’t come across a fix, other than keeping your right hand on the throttle so that when it drops back down the gate, a nudge forward keeps it up. Kind of realistic in a way, but still a pain. Bill Rambow and Roy Chaffin’s C-47 was never like this!

Hi BWFerret, many thanks for your swift response. I did not got notified on your reply - apologies for my late response. The nudge does not do it for me… :frowning: Kind regards!

Found if I keep f3 depressed and throttle wide open on Logitech Extreme 3D stick on take off roll I can get the aircraft off the ground, but it is not smooth. Seems like the tail draggers all have this problem since the last update.

Guys,

Check that there are no assistants active that might think to have to outsmart you. Certainly not intended to be so, but…

Also make sure there is nothing assigned to your controllers that shouldn‘t be there, like for example „throttle cut“ to a „button“ of your pedals, although there might be no physical button.

1 Like

Hi Ephedrin87,

Many thanks for your comments. Still fairly new to FS so how would I make sure?

Also, I have observed the following: When I start the flight from a parking position and taxi to the runway, then there is no such behavior- the plan does not abort the takeoff.

Still puzzled with it. Kind regards!

Hi,
Thanks to all who have responded to this topic. I believe we now have a solution. Looks like yet another ‘Assist’ bug. I have disabled ALL assists associated with Prop Pitch, Mixture , Landing and Take Off. Not sure which one was the culprit, but the DC-3 now behave more or less exactly as Roy Chaffin’s C-47 did back in the day.

Cheers all!

Hi Guys …
Forgot to say that I also disabled Auto Rudder.

Definetly a BUG

Thanks TaperCanoe31157 and welcome! Do you know if it was accepted as a bug and being worked on? Stil not working for me.

No idea if this has been flagged as an actual bug. As I said, disabling all assists resolved the issue with me.