DC-3 - Can't map the Cowl Flaps to my H.O.T.A.S

I tried all the mapping options for cowl flaps and none of them worked with the DC-3.

And, on the subject of mapping. I would like a Track-IR Disable / Enable mapping option.
Thanks.

I have discovered the same problem with the cowl flap assignment and my Bravo Flap switch. I assigned the Bravo flap toggle switch to “Increase”/“Decrease” Cowl Flaps in the DC-3 but they won’t open or close. I can hear the action of something happening inside the cockpit but the left and right controls don’t move to open or close the cowls.

I’d prefer a Cowl Axis command, but the MSFS profiler doesn’t have any axis actions for the cowls. Of course, the DC-3’s cowls open and close if you control them from in the plane, but…

Anyway, I’ve discovered that I need to read up on how to fly the DC-3. The one in MSFS is a lot more difficult than the one I was used to in FSX, (which probably wasn’t very close to real-world piloting for that plane).

I don’t fly MSFS in Arcade modes so, as a result, in 4 attempts to take off with the DC-3, I managed to get the plane in the air once but quickly lost control and crashed. That’s OK. In fact, I would have probably been disappointed if I had gotten the plane in a controlled flight.

But there must be something I’m overlooking for the cowl control assignments. Also, the MSFS doesn’t have a way to bind a lever to the Superchargers.

As for your TrackIR, the default for TrackIR Pause is F12 key. However, you can’t use that key because that’ll pause the sim too. Just open the TrackIR panel and change the assigned Pause command to a key that’s free on your keyboard. I think key “H” or “J”, may be open, (there are a lot of unused keys so just look one up and pick it).
Rich

Reagrding your take off issues. Try

• no flaps
  • a good bit of trim down
  • only apply about 75% throttle

Once stable on take off gently apply more throttle as required.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies.
As for the flight model, there’s a very good fix in flightsim.to
Also, I uploaded a more accurate checklist for the DC-3. Its also in there.

1 Like

LOL, Thank you!! The key for me was the 75% Throttle!!! I found that the DC 3, (like the real thing), had a very sensitive response when the throttle and prop combination were less than ‘carefully applied’.

I was able to find time to try again after reading your suggestions and I successfully took off from Ketchikan and landed (just as successfully), in Prince Rupert. I set the weather for thunderstorms after the take-off, (the month of July @ 7PM).

Then, so as not to press my luck, I cleared the sky’s with some mid-level clouds for an 8:30PM landing. It went very well and definitely brought back memories as to why the DC-3 was always my favorite plane!

Thank you!
Rich

1 Like

Thank you Mooshlvan! I’ll check it out first thing tomorrow.
Rich

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common theme with the 40th anniversary edition. Some keybindings simply dont seem to work in certain planes.

For example, none of the fuel related keybindings work in the Beaver, even if they work in other planes.

@ SaucierPen464,
That’s strange… I’ve had no problem with the fuel systems in the Beaver using my Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo and my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS systems. I can control the fuel pump, mix, props, etc. You may want to recheck what you selected for the binds.

I found that using the option “Toggle” for switches will often not work. I used the “Electric Fuel Pump” On/off for pumps 1 through 4. I set all 4 of them to the same fuel pump switch, regardless of aircraft and how many pumps they have. It works fine that way.

Part of the problem is that those people who developed the MSFS controller system were not proficiant in English. They didn’t realize that “Translate” is not a good word for expressing any action. They should have used words like “Shift”, “Pan”, “Revolve”, “Move” etc.

They instead use words like “Translate Z axis, Y axis, or X axis” and somehow, we’re supposed to differentiate what they mean between words like “Translate” and “Slide” or “Roll” and several other words that are less than appropriate for what is meant.

I was surprised that they did use the word “Pitch” correctly. It’s also hard to understand and decide upon switch commands to use, like “Toggle” and “Switch” or “open”. Or the commands that have the word “Axis” in them but don’t display any axis motion. It’s very confusing to someone who does speak and write English using proper grammar rules.

To me, (and the English dictionary), these words mean specific things and even though a word like “Translate” can be used to express a motion to some degree, it’s a very poor choice to use in place of “Shift”, “Pan”, or “Move”, which are far more accurate and understandable.
FWIW,
Rich

Strange indeed.

thanks for your reply. I finally had the time to do some more in depth testing and I can confirm it. Let me be more specific:

I bound the FUEL SELECTOR 1 LEFT, RIGHT and MAIN functions to buttons on my Virpil Sharka. I booted up the old 172 and tested it. Works fine. So I switch to the Beaver. Nothing.

I bound the same functions to a Virpil Control Panel 1 and a Saitek X56 throttle with the same result. Works in the 172 but not in the Beaver.

Just for added flavor I plugged in the Logitech Switch Panel wich has a dedicated switch for the Fuel Pump function. Sure enough, the pump switch works with the Baron and others but again, not in the Beaver.

Would you tell me the exact name of the fucntions you have bound in your Honeycombs that works in the Beaver ? That way I can rule out any misunderstandings.

For the Beaver fuel pump :

3·(>K:FUELSYSTEM_PUMP_TOGGLE)

For the Beaver fuel selector (respectively off, rear, center and front fuel tank) :

0·(>L:DHC2_FuelSelectorHandle,·number)
1·(>L:DHC2_FuelSelectorHandle,·number)
2·(>L:DHC2_FuelSelectorHandle,·number)
3·(>L:DHC2_FuelSelectorHandle,·number)

What am I looking at here ?

As far as cowl flaps settings, i can’t get them to work with my Go Flight modules either, but on the Beech 18 they do work, and even though i dont see hardly any difference with them closed, open, or trail, so to me something is not right with that. And what about the blower, anyone know how they work?