DC Designs F-14 Handling

I recently revisited the DC Designs F-14B after a couple months, a third party update on the jet, and the recent sim update, and feel the handling on this plane really changed! Anyone else noticing this?

I feel it most when pulling through more extreme maneuvers at lower speed, particularly when pulling though a high bank tight turn. The plane will buck like a horse if I pull too hard, which I’m used to, but unlike in the past, this will cause the nose to drop and put me a hard dive that I can’t get out of, even from 10,000 feet. Very different than what I’ve experienced in the past, where I actually had to work hard to induce a stall and/or spin and could almost always recover.

Hi, we can’t offer support here but in brief, yes, that’s the new handling based on feedback from an F-14 pilot. We’d experimented with FBW in MSFS for the ACFS system but I was never happy with it. The Tomcat was a pulleys-and-wires jet so we went back to that, with Computational Flight Dynamics alongside the standard flightmodel.cfg settings. The Tomcat is now back to how it originally was and will definitely bite you if you don’t stay within AoA limits and maintain corner velocity.

5 Likes

Thanks for that info! I’ll get back up there (with plenty more altitude!) and experiment with those limits.

1 Like