DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

The Heatblur flight model is very close, and getting better with time. They are dedicated to getting it right. It’s constantly being tuned to reflect real world performance and handling. I know that they are continuing to work on it.

That’s the difference. DCS players seem to desire the characteristics to be as realistic as possible, while MSFS seem more inclined to desire a medium level of realism.

I am disappointed in the way MSFS aircraft handle in general. Weak adverse yaw, bizarre handling in ground effect, strange behavior in the presences of sideslip. My observations may be out of date, since I haven’t bothered to update given the recent issues. I am hopeful that aircraft handing across the board will continue to be developed and addressed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

DCS is quite a demanding and hardcore sim I think and much more so than FS20 which is really still in its infancy with its severely lacking SDK but pretty graphics. I am not a RL pilot but I stuck with the DCS F18 which tbh I found very challenging with its complex systems. It took me about 3 months to get to anything like a respectable level with it. It took me quite a bit of time to even properly start it and take off! Respect fully due to those who flew this or the iconic F14 in real life.

Personally I am beginning now to doubt if FS20 will ever become a simmer for hardcore simmers. I am also starting to think that hardcore simmers will eventually return to P3d or X-Plane (12? when it is released) for their more serious siming sessions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi all,
Please try to stay in topic about the DC Designs aircraft.

1 Like

I am in that boat and it would be a great shame, Asobo need to get their act together on this, or put us out of our misery, and say no we are targeting “simcade”.

However I think the DC Designs method is still a good fit for all. I could tell you if an Airbus or 737 is flying ok “TO SOME EXTENT”, but not a mil jet under any circumstances.

2 Likes

all I want the DCD Tomcat to do is behave close to the numbers around the carrier. If it launches accurately, accelerates and decelerates properly, bleeds energy properly when ‘dirty’ or configured for landing, and wallows a bit in the groove I’ll be happy.
If I want to do A2A combat stuff with an F-14 I’ll use DCS…

4 Likes

Test these charts tomorrow and you will see :).

5 Likes

I’m no where near competent enough a pilot never mind in the F-14 to test this accurately myself so would love to hear the results from anyone who does test it out!

2 Likes

I’m happy to say it does all the above, and compressor stalls are present in the A model, while both Tomcats will spin readily if pushed to it. And you’re absolutely correct - MSFS for flight, DCS for combat ( unless somebody gets weapons into MSFS someday… )

7 Likes

Just bought the F-14 and started downloading! Yay!

Have a great launch day!

6 Likes

same here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Just got it and took it for a quick spin round China lake and down through Star Wars canyon. Seems really good. So much more refined than the F-15 was at launch. I managed to land it on my first attempt, which is always a bonus. The only bug I could obvious spot was the wheels seem to sink slightly into the runway when landing. The exterior model is particularly good though. Definite big thumbs up from me anyway.

Top Gun here we come…

9 Likes

Wow, awesome screenshots! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had an amazing first flight. Absolutely love it! I did a test stall recovery and as went into spin the camera shot around a lot and went outside cockpit but otherwise I am in love. My favourite Jet in MSFS so far! Thanks Dean and Co for another great product

3 Likes

During installation I got the following error:

any advices??
Thanks

This is due to the character length in the installer that is common to MSFS installers, answers here;

Just Flight F-14 support

Hah, glad you got it to spin! Enjoy the Tomcats! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had to give a test so followed manual to put into a spin and recovered quite well once camera calmed down again. I will do!

2 Likes

Strange, I have many addons from Just Flight, but I didn’t even get an email that the F-14 is available…

1 Like

You had to manually sign up to the list

3 Likes