DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Really! Ok, so I have to do that for the next upcoming addons.

2 Likes

So,i just got it.Let me say that i speak from the heart and i am a loyal customer and not a troll(if you guys remember me that is)
Pic no1 and no2 make me sad cause of the textures quality.They’re kinda bredokish.I really hope to an upgrade.
Pic no3 gives me joy cause it is an awesome camera which i wonder why the F15 doesn’t have as well
Pic no4 is saying that thw HUD is not easy readable in a sunny day.Does it need a little more contrast or is it my fault ?

Pic no5 which is the external one in the airport,shows some weird glitching inside the intakes while panning the camera.
Also,i clicked the open canopy switch and the sim crashed,but i am not sure what caused that.The second time was ok.
I was expecting smokes in wings etc in this one.Why not?
Overall it is an awesome product but i really hope we get more detail textures for cockpit.Switches etc.I fly in 4K and it doesn’t look good.
As i said,i speak from the heart and with no pun intended.
Cheers (i will buy whatever you produce.I just state my mind🥂

5 Likes

Thanks. I disagree personally with the texturing comments, I think they look fine, but over time as my abilities improve they will no doubt be enhanced. The camera is being added to the F-15s as well, it was actually created by a BIG Tomcat fan who added some of his own and then forwarded me the details ( beta tester ).

The HUD is always like that, there is no way around it at this time in MSFS, although it does have a brightness control unfortunately the sim skies always clash with the display when they’re bright.

The intake flickering is actually the PBR - it’s smooth at sharp angles, satin when face on. As for 4K textures - the sim SDK itself says not to use them. 2K is recommended, but more of them to make the textures. I’m not sure about this one at the moment, and tend to go for less resolution and better performance as a result. With the latest updates to the sim though this seems less necessary.

Wing effects / G vapour are on the way but I did not have enough time to learn them properly before release date.

Glad you’re enjoying them! Updates will of course come along as more is learned and any bug reports come in.

7 Likes

Ok then.Much appreciated

2 Likes

Eshot going out now so if you’re signed up you’ll get it soon. The email for those who signed up for notification on release went out seconds after the release. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Intake flickering - I noticed this in the preview videos. Is there hope that in the future it will be improved if not eliminated completely?

I’ve read through the manual and can’t wait to fly this magnificent beast! Best of luck with the release!!

2 Likes

It’s caused by the roughness layer of the metallic - it actually works well on the outside of the aircraft, but at sharp angles creates reflections - accurate, but I think inside those intakes it looks more like flickering. If it annoys enough folks, I’ll adjust the roughness layer inside the intakes to remove the effect :+1:

P.S. That doesn’t mean you can all moan at me :laughing:

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, just received the email.

@DEAN01973 i did not understand which one is the Fuel Valve Switches to start up engine checklist :slight_smile:

1 Like

The sounds are amazing.

Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to separate the volume of the exterior engine sound from the interior engine sound? FBW does this in the a32nx through the tablet which controls the interior and exterior engine sounds separately. But since the F14 has no tablet, maybe it’s possible to bind the exterior or interior engine sound to a different volume setting (ex. exterior engine sounds are controlled by the “OTHER AIRCRAFTS” volume slider in the options).

Just my recommendation since the exterior engine sounds are awesome, but too loud. Reducing engine sound volume in the options makes the interior engine sound too soft.

1 Like

Fantastic. I just saw that you can customise the pilot and navigator and have their visors up or down and masks on or off. Thats worth the purchase price on its own!

Dean, is there anyway to customise the pilot names on the outside the aircraft? I think I remember at one point you said this might be a possible feature.

1 Like

It’s all in the manual, and yes, you can customise the external names also - the manual tells you which sheets to use, and how to use them. They’re in the documents folder also.

2 Likes

Yeah, to simplify things I used the engine extinguisher valves as the fuel cut offs ( they’re that also in real life, but not used to cut off the fuel normally ). Advancing the throttle detent to open the fuel valves isn’t an option in MSFS I don’t think.

@PancakeAgent The sounds are done by Sim Acoustics so I will mention this to them.

1 Like

is this out on xbox this week at all?

Doubt it, normally takes 2 or 3 weeks to make it there

1 Like

Rudy, if you could make your profile’s name in Windows shorter you wouldn’t have that problem. Something like “RudyB” or similar instead of “Rudy Bergmann”.

Flying a little bit more,i gotta say that the flying model is AWESOME !!! It flies and lands perfect.The stability while aplying airbrakes and playing with thrust and flaps,is better than anything else i own.Including the F15😋
Also,the ability to be able to move the camera with ALT+arrow kers,gives us this awesome view for landing videos.
As i said again,i only moan for better textures inside the cockpit.
I will buy and the Concorde and the F16 if you make it.My “complaints” are more of a someone who is making videos on tube and is seeking the best outcome.

If i may also suggest,a shorter movement of the pilots heads,just for the sake of the immersion.If he for example,looks at the ground for 3secs more and then gets back to forward looking,while the next time he does the same from the other side or the sky.It will add up when videos are created.

This thing is a BEAST ! Photo of Athens-Greece

7 Likes

Just ran her through the Mach Loop. The speed! What a beauty

6 Likes

Why is it a she ? :joy::yum:

The enjoyment and beauty of the speed had me in awe. Got 1000kts level flight and flew across the UK in a few minutes

3 Likes