DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Replied via Discord. F-14 handling is far more realistic without FBW than with it ( which was used to simulate the AFCS system ). It’s nothing like the MS F-18E, totally different handling and aerodynamics.

3 Likes

Can you please post the current Discord link? The one at the top of this thread has expired.

2 Likes

Back to TACAN topic. I remember using Tacan in Aerosofts F-14x. One could set Tacan Frequencies via a dial in the left Pilot Console. In realtiy one never set any tacan frequency but a common Nav/ILS frequency. The addon translated the TACAN into the Fligh Sim Frequency. One only had to look up the right setting in a charts delivered with tha manual.
I do not know about coding but perhaps this would be possible for the DC Designs F-14 as well. I can give you any information about those frequencies if you like. I only would like to have the NAV Radio disappear in the cockpit and go back to the simulated TACAN radio.

1 Like

Tacan channels can be entered via the FMC in the RIO position. If we lost the Nav freq input we wouldn’t be able to plot VOR route to anywhere apart from working Tacan stations and not all in sim tacan are actually working. Personally i like the NAV radio in the pilot position as i can navigate the entire globe without having to wake up my RIO

3 Likes

@Batterby76 Thank you sir!
Edit, the invite seems to have expired. Sorry, I don’t check in here every day.

1 Like

EDIT: The invite worked. Thanks guys.

Thank you Dean,
I am a Discord Dunce! I must have a setting wrong. My apols.
I tried all Discord’s suggested methods.

FYI I get this
Capture

Thanks all for trying!

Wait… You can disable FBW on the Tomcat? How exactly? I’m on Xbox.

How is it disabled on pc please?

Fly By Wire is ALREADY DISABLED since a previous update. It now flies much more realistically to the real aircraft

5 Likes

See above post, you dont turn it off, its already turned off

1 Like

Ok great thanks :+1:

Any reason why the plane tends to bounce/wobble if you’ve done a quick aggressive manoover before it settles down? I’ve noticed that on a few aircraft mainly at really high altitudes but it’s a lot more obvious on the 14 even at lower levels. Is this a sim limitation things or just how it’s moddled? I do like the plane it just seems a bit odd seeing it wobbling around in an Arcady fashion. Not having a dig just trying to explain it best I can :+1:

2 Likes

thats the airframe UNLOADING. Be gentle. try not to pull over 6G also bags of trim help with the tighter turns. Just remember its all manual, its not a FBW bird so no Computers to quickly sort your control surfaces

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve never tried anything fbw but seems more like it wobbles around an axis on the sim than anything. I’ll see how the heat blur 14 compares when it comes along :+1:

1 Like

This is a common occurrence in flight simulation and people think that it’s a bug - it’s not, it’s Newton’s Third Law - equal and opposite reactions. Unloading rapidly from an aggressive turn will cause the aircraft to “snap” back away from the forces being applied upon it.

The reason it shows up in flight sim is because you cannot feel those forces. If you did it in real life, you’d soon be seeing your lunch again and have a severe headache from smashing your skull around the canopy due to G-force and whiplash effects. Real pilots learn to control their aircraft as much by feel as instruments, simmers are required to watch their instruments more closely to achieve the correct performance from any airplane.

The F-14 was a “heavy stick”, requiring large movements due to its mass and size, but it was highly manoeuvreable none the less. Focus on smoother control movements and respect maximum G and AoA values throughou the performance envelope, and you’ll find it flies the way you thought it would.

8 Likes

Nice angles.
25 degrees! ! ! !

1 Like

Yeah was a fun flight, a little ACM with my regular wingman.

2 Likes