DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Always seems to be the same guy spouting drivel too, looking forward to it Dean and keep up the good work :+1:

4 Likes

There’s nothing baseless or unsubstantiated. I think a lot of Dean’s snark filled post was directed at me, and that’s fine. I’ll admit I did not read the disclaimer about textures in the FB post and should have. However I’ll also point out that the literal first sentence in my post was that I hoped the poor look was due to early development. And Dean claims it was, so not sure what the issue is.

The F-15 was released overpriced, ugly, and buggy to partially broken in many folks’ opinion. It’s gotten much better, but there is very good reason to be wary of another release from the same designer. No one is judging a finished product before it’s finished. It is fair to point out the designer’s previous track record in the sim.

At the end of the day, Dean, or whomever else is behind DC Design isn’t making planes altruistically as freeware, where it is reasonable to expect and accept issues and less than top level quality. He/DC are making payware, as a business, for money, and there is nothing wrong with us as the consumers looking for, and expecting a top quality product considering the cost. When said designer publically offers photos of the product, WIP or otherwise, it’s also fair game to comment on how THOSE PHOTOS look.

Lastly, I’ll add that I think the new shots Dean shared look really cool. I’m excited for the F-14, and was even with the placeholder textures. I purchased the F-15 and while I felt burned with the price and condition at launch, I’m really happy with it now and find it quite fun.

2 Likes

The sounds will once again be professionally produced, yes, and hopefully contain separate sounds for the TF-30s in the A and the GE engines in the B model.

Persistent state implementation is a cool thing but I specifically target the casual user, so systems fidelity is always something that takes second place. It’s a business-model thing, 70% + of all users are casual and entertainment fans rather than study-level fans, so that’s where I aim my products. Not ruling it out though, if such a system can be implemented / supported by MSFS and there is a call for it :slight_smile: I rely a lot on customer feedback to determine where best to direct my efforts, it’s why I spend a fair amount of time talking to simulator fans here and elsewhere. Feel free to make suggestions at any time, or share ideas - I can never of course include them all, but many of the improvements to the F-15 Eagles were made in response to ( constructive ) suggestions from owners.

4 Likes

Actually my reply was mostly directed at that other guy, who seems to do nothing but troll around about the Eagles, as others have also mentioned. If you’re happy with your Eagles now, then I’ve done my job. Future launches will be released at far higher quality out of the gate, as so much more has been learned since. Other devs have launched genuinely better jets in terms of visual detail, but they’re playing it “safe” - so far, I’m the only one pushing the boundaries a bit to see what I can achieve with the new simulator while trying to keep things reasonably realistic in terms of aircraft performance etc. A tricky line to walk… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope there will be a Persian pussycat on offer as well so I can patrol along the Arvand and pretend to hunt Iraqi migs

The Tomcats will come with a full paint-kit, so any paint scheme can be recreated. Not sure if the Persian scheme will come with the release though, the US Navy schemes are already in such high demand ( several requests per day ).

Maybe there can be a price reduction for those who purchased the F-15. For me for another jet just to fly around in, if the graphics don’t meet up like on the MD-339 or Hawk (WOW), then really don’t see the point. I do own DCS -F-14. That’s done very well. Maybe make this a addon plane with an addon price. NOT $$ 40.99 US.

I do not have any control over the price of the F-15 Eagles, the vendor does. The Tomcats on the other hand will be the first aircraft launched by me, by myself, for MSFS and my own marketplace store. Price will be under $30 for both jets in the package ( F-14 A and F-14 B models ). About there seems to be the sweet spot for aircraft in MSFS at this time.

5 Likes

While I’m here, a quick progress image for those interested, building up weathering and texturing on the F-14A external model. Pilots have visors up, mugging for the camera :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hi Dean. Really looking forward to your F-14. All our wildest Top Gun fantasies will come true. Can I make a little suggestion? With your F-15 I love making showcase videos flying at low level with multiple camera views. One view I love is having an external cockpit view with the pilots visible, as pictured below. The only problem is the front pilot disappears, occasionally the passenger disappears too. Is there any chance with the F-14 you can have it so there’s some nice pre-set showcase external camera positions to really show it off?

Can you switch from one external camera view to another, with one single button click?
I tried many times but I couldn’t
Thank you

Hi, I will be experimenting more with external cameras now as I’m starting to get to grips with them. The F-15 is built the “old” way as they’re ports from FSX and Prepar3D, so you’re seeing the virtual cockpit with its set up when you use cameras that close to the cockpit. The F-14s are being built the new way, MSFS specific, so things will match up much more seamlessly and new camera angles will be more reliable in displaying the external model even when close to the cockpit, as in your image :+1:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s something that’s in the sim itself - I have the various camera views slaved to a hat-switch on my joystick, so when using my monitor I can look left, right, up, down, behind etc just by moving the hat-switch. I suspect that you could switch between cameras internal and external in the same way, as long as you have enough buttons to assign the views to :slight_smile:

When is the F14 expected to come out?

All I can say is:

CNU-188 needs to be in the load out options. Period.

For those of you who remember taking the jet “for the weekend.” :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

I’m aiming for mid-May 2021, which is when the custom engine sounds will be ready ( they have a busy period ahead ). Marketplace version will follow a couple of weeks later once they’ve cleared it.

3 Likes

Most likely another freeware quality addon for the insane price just F-15. Screenshot already look bad.

Wow. You really are something else.

5 Likes

Trolls everywhere in the simulation world, sadly. Best not to feed them :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can’t wait to see this bird in sim!

2 Likes