DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

There are lots on the Facebook page, just didn’t want to clutter this thread with too many images.

10 Likes

This looks great! Can’t wait to hop in.

4 Likes

That is the only one i saw and the rest are all external shots. Any close up cockpit images?

Just Flight F-14 Development Page

Tons of images at the above link plus all the specs :+1:

5 Likes

Just seen the first preview video by Pilot Studd and I’m blown away by the F-14! Can’t wait till the 19th to go flying this beautiful bird!

2 Likes

They look great :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Two more videos out I have seen so far. VR Flight Sim Guy’s dc designs F14 tomcat flatspin recovery followed by Buddy Spike MSFS F14 Tomcat, preview + vr test Payware Edition.

I must say the “flat spin” looks incredible great job on that DC Designs team

5 Likes

That isn’t a flat spin. In a flat spin the fuselage will be almost horizontal.

2 Likes

Yeah it wasn’t a true flat spin, but the f-14 in msfs can flat spin if induced properly.

1 Like

The F-14B NATOPS manual describes a flat spin as “approximately 10° nose down with no pitch or roll oscillations”, with a yaw rate increasing to “as high as 180° per second”, and as “essentially unrecoverable”. If you enter one, you eject, before the eyeball-out G-force (5.5 to 6.5 G) causes incapacitation.

2 Likes

Man this really looks nice! Definitely in the take my money ballpark

2 Likes

@DEAN01973 has generously allowed me to preview the Tomcat… absolutely loving it. Built from scratch for MSFS, lots of passion and dedication clearly put into it. I look forward to seeing you all at Miramar soon… oh, and read the manual! :wink:

10 Likes

I’m not bothered what type of aircraft add-on’s are in the sim. The quality of the add-on’s is what concerns me. The more choices people have the better so long as it’s a good standard. The F-15 after a rocky start, is a delight now. Credit to the developer. Looking forward to the F14 for sure.

2 Likes

We get as close as we can, but of course within the simulator’s aerodynamics there are limitations. The DCD Tomcat spins nose low and can spin flat at times, but what I normally see is a tendency for roll and pitch oscillations also - it’s quite interesting. You can see the simulator trying to model the stall by the way the aircraft moves.

In VR though, most won’t care about how flat or not it is - they’ll be frantically trying to recover and probably will then need to rapidly start one or both of the engines if they’re in the A model :slight_smile:

5 Likes

VR Flight Sim guy full VR review of F-14’s this afternoon

1 Like

I think my comments were more aimed at the description of what was going on in the video than at what the sim F-14 was doing. The physics of a spinning aircraft is highly complex, an modelling it at all accurately is inevitably going to be difficult. If you’ve got that close, you’ve done a lot better than most of the efforts with MSFS so far - far too many aircraft don’t seem to model spins/stalls properly at all. Keep up the good work. :+1:

4 Likes

Low quality interior and exterior textures

I don’t think so. I have been flying it for a few days now and it looks pretty good to me. This isn’t Virtualcol. That thread is THAT way. :wink:

5 Likes

Any chance of getting this on Xbox?

The cabin in the lower left and right seems to me of low quality,
but, of course, not everyone has the same concept of quality