DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Hello everyone, new pilot with just over 400 hours flight time.

Is this basically correct? I’ve been reading everything but it makes my head hurt. lol

1. Nav or heading mode until you can pick up LOC.
  2. Switch to LOC. (Back/left side of F14)
  3. Set speed/flaps/gear/dcs (front left side).
  4. Activate ACLS.(2 switches front right side of F14)

I’m trying Autoland JFK 4R ILS (cat II & III) 109.50 everything sets up nice but at the end F14 is off to the left of the runway. Not that big of a deal. I can hand fly it in but want to make sure I’m doing it correctly.
Only item in my community folder is the F15.

BIG!! THANKS!! to the creators of this F14 and for the ongoing customer support. You guys ROCK!! When looking for a new aircraft, I look to you guys first.

Note: I LOVE!! the Grand Canyon videos. I tried it but bounced off the walls a few times. lol

1 Like

OMG!!! did you guys add a touch and go??? I was going to let the F14 land off runway but in that last photo you can see the F14 throttle up, climb and go ON IT"S OWN. That was so COOL!!!

1 Like

Hi and Wellcome! Let’s see: I would make changes there:

1. Set your ILS freq and switch to VOR MODE.
  2. Set AP, set altitude (more or less 5000ft).
  3. Set speed/flaps/gear/DLC (front left side).
  4. Use heading mode to align your plane with LOC or RWY using the HDG knob.
  5. Activate ACLS. (when the altitude is slightly below the GSI (vertical deviation). Exactly, the upper switch is approach, the second is ACLS.

LOC switch is not really neccesary, unless you want to catch a Localizer without capturing the Glideslope.

1 Like

CodenameJack447: Hi and thank you for the welcome and your help. :slight_smile:

1. I set my ILS freq before takeoff as I have a tendency to forget. :frowning: Not sure if I’m setting VOR mode correctly.
  2. I set my Alt 100ft below what the chart has and never have a problem.
  3. auto throttle/flaps/gear/DLC all setup very early. I have a tendency to forget my landing gear. Yes, my Tomcat has been taking a beating. :frowning:
  4. “Use heading mode to align with RWY”. I should have thought of that. Will try on my next flight. In the photo you can see LOC set it to 043 but the chart has the RWY at 044
    Thanks again. :slight_smile:
    Note: I know not much call for it, but a Boeing B-47 Stratojet would be awesome. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I found an interesting (if somewhat repetitive) article concerning procedures a la what we’ve been discussing. I, at least, found it helpful: Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) - Review and Procedures - Journal - Flaps 2 Approach

Although some of this doesn’t apply without an FMC, it was exciting to hear from Jack that they are considering putting that into the RIO’s panel.

In any event, this is, by far, my favorite aircraft to fly, and I love being able to use it in so many different scenarios (night, inclement weather, VFR, burning ABs and climbing as high as possibly, etc.).

Thank you again Jack and Dean for all your efforts!

3 Likes

Such a beautiful aircraft. And!! fun to fly. :slight_smile:

This time on landing I just left it on auto everything and used the stick to center the LOC. Yes, I know in real life you can not manipulate the autopilot like that but if MSFS is going to let me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t know if I’m suppose to tell you or MSFS? but airspeed indicator not working correctly. In the photos you can see it’s stuck at 512 even when on the ground and at a full stop. Will delete F15 from my community folder (so it will be completely empty), restart MSFS and see if it continues to happen.

1 Like

Community folder empty, restarted MSFS, did the same flight and it happened again. When I apply the airbrake to slow down, (as seen in the photo) airspeed will read correct for a time but then freezes. This time at 397. Flight from Atlantic City to JFK 4L with heavy snow.

1 Like

Pitot heat :slight_smile:

6 Likes

LMAO!!! It’s freezing outside and the airspeed indicator freezes… DUH!!! what did you think was going to happen. lol WOW!!! do I feel stupid. :pleading_face:

This is why I would not hesitate to buy a product from you guys. Product is top of the line and customer support is AWESOME!!!

Thanks again for your patience with a newbie. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Deano1973 looks after us all

5 Likes

Yes, Dean & Jack are ROCK STARS… Wish I could do coding/programing like them.

You two have any new aircraft being released?? Say, I don’t know :thinking: a Boeing B-47 Stratojet. lol

2 Likes

Next out is the AV-8B Harrier II, late summer hopefully. F-4J Phantom II by Christmas, and A-10C Thunderbolt II by Spring 2023. That’s as far as the list goes right now. I update my Facebook page weekly with what’s going on work wise, easier to follow there for the info:

6 Likes

Deano1973: Nice!!! list. I can see myself buying them all. lol The A-10… I have to buy the one from JustFlights in order to have the gun sticking out the front or to have any weapons, correct?

2 Likes

spring 2023 will be the highlight Deano, living in Suffolk uk near enough to Bentwaters and the 81st TFW would be great to have an A-10. Too late to request a Two Tone green european camo scheme?
Also RAF Wattisham had secondhand F-4J`s to boost numbers after the falklands war. 56 squadron i seem to remember , so might have to get that too

3 Likes

I promise this is the last post about this. (from me that is) lol. I took the F15 out and did the same run I was doing with the F14 and it nailed it. Straight down the middle. Also, I may delete my marketplace F14 and buy the one from JustFlight. As you know, weapons totally change the flight characteristics. Question, would that cause a problem with MSFS?

Update: in the second photo you can see I landed at JFK 4R 0 visibility. No way could I do that with the F14

2 Likes

uffff…
are you sure that the color settings of your monitor are correct???

1 Like

Great to see that there´s some progress at the Harrier.

I dreamed of you tonight.
We met for breakfast.
I made the coffee, you brought the rolls.
Then you said to me:
“One day my boy, this Kraftei will be yours”
Yes… and then I woke up :-)))

1 Like

150+ projector. I think that’s suppose to represent ice on the canopy. I was flying in whiteout conditions with heavy snow down to the deck and the F15 put me on the RWY with no problem.

2 Likes

That is indeed ice on the canopy - de-ice switches are on the right hand side panel.

The F-15s have had some further advances in avionics allowing for more precise navigation etc ( all CodenameJack’s work, I should add ). F-14s will receive the same soon with their next update :+1:

Buying the F-14s again should not be an issue if you uninstall the existing. Hate it that Microsoft forces this on users with their daft no-weapons policy, it’s totally unnecessary.

5 Likes