DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

No weapons policy might be bearable but no miliary or late 30’s liveries like on the Ju-52 is wrong. Can’t rewrite history but you should try to learn from it

2 Likes

I admire the heck out of the Harrier II, so while it wasn’t in my plans I may just have to get it. It looks great so far! And Merry Christmas to me if we can get the Phantom II by Christmas (or perhaps Thanksgiving… :crossed_fingers: :grin: :crossed_fingers:) - I can’t wait for that one! I may have to get the A-10 as well as that’s yet another favorite of mine. Especially if it goes Brrrrrrrrrrt! (<- I know unlikely, but I can dream :wink:)

2 Likes

This was only my third flight in the F15. I normally only fly it on very long flights (Japan to JFK non-stop). The ice on the canopy was not a problem (I did have the switch set to hi) because the point of the exercise was to see if the F15 could land with 0 visibility, no help from me and it nailed it. I would totally trust the F15 in 0 visibility. I also wanted to compare the results to the F14. I would not trust the F14 in 0 visibility. Yes, I know you’re not suppose to land with 0 visibility, but wave offs (Go around) are not part of my training yet.

F14 is getting an update :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

“no-weapons policy” I understand Microsofts position on this, I’m just glad they allow us to add aircraft from JustFlights. Again, weapons totally change the flight characteristics and present more of a challenge.

Note: I don’t use external programs for navigation. What you give me, is what I use. :slight_smile: How would I land at an airport (end of that flight) and then add a new flight without having to go back to world map?

1 Like

For the airport issue, that’s where forward planning comes in handy. I would note all the relevant radio-nav frequencies, airfields and headings requied on my route as per real life flying, and then I could take off from any point en-route and know where to go and on what headings. Not sure that you could do it any other way really.

2 Likes

This will be an interesting challenge, the need to cheat and use the VFR map will be strong. :laughing:

2 Likes

Unfortunatly this is a limitation in the sim. Unless you use an external program such as PMS50 GTN750… Someone correct me if I’m wrong?

2 Likes

@JackieStar41

Forget the airport…

3 Likes

Hi Zeanuck: New pilot with under 400hrs flight time. In the beginning I did use the PMS50-GTN750 but I want to fly the F14 as intended with MSFS in hard mode (except for rudders. I don’t have any). Plus, I’m starting to find MSFS boring and need more of a challenge.

Deano1971: It’s like you’re reading my mind. lol I’ve tried Carrier landings but I SUCK!!! at it. :frowning:

Question: Do the carriers have an ILS freq?

1 Like

LOL, I hear on the needing more of challenge…
I have well over 500 hours in the tomcat alone (over 2000 in the sim), and have well 100 attempted carrier landiings on various addons and still cannot land on the ■■■■ thing!!! Following all the documentation, on speed, on angle, AOA is 15 units… Nope still either crash into the back of the thing or overshoot… It aint easy!!!
Oh and thanks Dean for that link… Gunna D/L that tonight

1 Like

Most of my flight time comes from very long flights. Like my around the world non-stop flight in the Tomcat ( lot of inflight refueling) and my SAC flight. MacDill, up towards Russia and down to Japan. Return flight from Japan to JFK non-stop in the F15 full AB. Had to setup a special button for inflight refueling.

I was using the HDS Carrier Module, touch the deck anywhere and it stops you. The problem was when I was landing on a RWY it would stop me like a carrier landing.

3 Likes

AoA should be more like 8 units, 140 knots or so depending on weight which should be below 45,000lbs, “meatball” centered on all axis. Make sure DLC is engaged and ride the power to control descent. The Tomcat was hard to land in real life and it is in MSFS too.

@JackieStar41 No VOR frequencies on the Asobo carrier but it’s bloody good otherwise. Did some training circuits with it off Florida this afternoon, easy to find it from nearby airports.

4 Likes

Tomcat in the groove just before touchdown, just under 8 degrees AoA, 140 knots, “Danger Zone” playing in the background… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

DEANO1973: I’m really looking forward to trying your Harrier Jump Jet and landing on a carrier. :face_with_peeking_eye:

That’s so COOL!!! I want to be able to do that. :frowning:

I know this maybe a stupid question but, you say 8 A0A How do I find my AOA ? What should I be looking at? Is that the lines that have 5, 10,15 and so on? Thanks!!!

9 degrees AOA = 15 units. Is something we are tunning right now for the update.

1 Like

Hope that helps. The data I used for conducting Cat I approaches is this:
image and,

3 Likes

Thanks!!! for that info. Yes, that definitely!!! helps. :hugs:

So for a carrier landing I want to come in @ 140 / AOA of 8 / Altitude 360 feet. Could I set the auto throttle @ 140 and just chase the ball? :thinking:

I’m learning :smiley:

more or less yes, the reference speeds vs GW are these (we will fine-tune them even more for the next update for use with ACLS):

min GW = 40000lbs - min Speed = 116 knots;
max GW = 66000lbs - max Speed = 157 knots;

3 Likes

OMG I just installed the moving carrier and was in the F14, 6 attempts and couldn’t catch the wire, and then I look outside and the hook wont go down…. LOL. Might explain a thing or two…. Then I hopped in the Super Warrior and nailed the 3rd wire first attempt. :slight_smile:

Dean or Jack: Is the a key binding for the hook that needs to happen in the F-14? The lever, at least in VR, does not seem to be dropping the hook.

1 Like