DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

@CodenameJack447 @DEAN01973
Would you fellas be able to post those vids to the DCDesigns youtube channel?
Those vids will really help alot of xbox users when the update hits the marketplace as ALOT of xbox tomcat pilots dont come here.

4 Likes

Just a note to let you all know that thanks to the efforts of F-14 owner Ross, we now know what’s causing the F-14 problems with installation - the carrier mod at flightsim.to. The creator of the mod knows about it and has posted a warning saying that it doesn’t work with the latest F-14 and that they’ll be updating it in the future.

So if you have been using that mod, remove it and the F-14s will be fine ( they may need re-installing afterward though once the mod has been removed ) :+1:

3 Likes

Hi Dean, thanks for the tip. Which carrier mod is it exactly? There are already some on Flightsim.to. :wink:
I hope your tip will also help me with my installation problem with the F-14 from the JustFlight Store.
Kind regards Rudolph

1 Like

Added the direct link.

1 Like

Thank you Dean :slight_smile:

1 Like

The target speed and target altitude are blocked out-of-sight in the “canopy” HUD display in my system. I was unable to find a camera position for a full view there. The HUD repeater below it does have a full view. Now I notice that this situation also appears in your ACLS demonstration video. Is there a way to see them in both locations?

1 Like

hey Chester, you just need to lower the camera a bit for that. In any case, at the design level, I will see if in the future they can be lowered down in a better position.

1 Like

Was the compressor stall on the B fixed?

1 Like

Yes, should happen only in the A.

2 Likes

It has been happening to me at least in the B since the last update. I mentioned it to Dean in this thread after the last update. It appeared to me he was aware of it and would be fixed. Maybe I misread it?

Right now I have the file opened with the code commented out, so it can’t happen to you. Are you sure you have updated the version?

I purchased from the MS store so I am awaiting the current update to come out. My current version is 1.0.3

Ok, then no worries about that!

1 Like

In reality, any turbofan engine can suffer a compressor stall. We coded the B engines to just make it very much harder to do so than the A model. The proximal cause of compressor stalls in the F-14A was the engine, but it was also the Tomcat’s long nose blocking airflow into an engine when at high yaw, which compounded the TF-30 engine’s vulnerability to such stalls.

The code is cancelled out for now on the B, but it will return eventually - it’ll just be extremely difficult to get them to stall out, as it should be.

3 Likes

Thanks and understood. Most of my compressor stalls on the B were at low speed about to land. So…not being a very good wannabe pilot and too much rudder has caused the issue.

1 Like

Yeah, stay off the rudders when landing if possible, stamping a boot full of rudder at low airspeed lost more than one F-14 in real life, and sometimes the crew with them. Anything below 250 knots indicated, at high AoA is the real “danger zone” in the F-14A. Real pilots learned to fly around these shortcomings, and contrary to popular opinion, regarded the TF-30s as a great engine, especially below 10,000ft where they worked best.

I have it direct from a former F-14 pilot who has been assisting me that the F-14B/D Tomcat’s performance with the GE engines was truly “eye watering” and easily on a par with anything else in the sky at the time. However, the F-14A could still whip it in a visual fight and had a slightly better turn radius, so it wasn’t all about the power. My F-14s are the same, so they’re extremely close to the correct performance envelope ( MSFS flight model bugs not withstanding ).

3 Likes

My F-14s are the same, so they’re extremely close to the correct performance envelope ( MSFS flight model bugs not withstanding ).

And that is why I fly it most of the time. and I am loving the VF-74 livery looks dead on what a F-14 looked like on cruise aboard the Super Sara (VF-103 was also on the Sara but they were the Sluggers at the time).

2 Likes

Just going back to this, it was about the pilot visibility. You mentioned something in the past about making it easier to hide him (ie without having to set his weight to zero). Was there ever a “clickspot” created to hide him?

Yeah, not at this time. The interior and exterior pilots need different coding otherwise if you make one disappear, it can also make the other one vanish too. Right now, the exterior crew have a single switch to make them disappear when the airplane is shut down. If all works well, I will bring this in with a custom coded switch that will still change the weight of the pilot to make them vanish, but will do it through the code, so you don’t have to manually call up the menu :+1:

Thanks for explaining Dean.