DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

I have yet to hit Mach 2. I was at 50k and got to 1.9 after 5 min of level flight

are you using live weather? If so, try in clear skies.

In fact, the maximum speed is reached at 45,000ft according to the flight envelope, 45,000ft is considered the point of maximum speed of the aircraft.

No live weather

I like to sit a little further back in the cockpit than default so I save a custom camera. When I enable it with the hot keys I’m looking inside the pilots face. Is there a way to not see the pilot face with the saved custom camera? The pilot on and off switch doesn’t work for this issue.

Yes this confuses me. I am trying at like below 5000 feet but air density is to high I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, think that the maximum speed with AB at S.L is mach 1.2 (which would be around 750 ias), and close to mach 1 at MIL Thrust. As you go up in altitude an IAS conversion is what occurs, but the mach equivalent is what increases.

Also think that you are carrying a 50,000lbs plane compared to a 5,000lbs hawk. But don’t underestimate a hawk either, they are the training planes that prepare you to handle fighter jets.

1 Like

You have to set the Pilot weight to 0, and it will remove the pilot from the internal camera viewpoints. You will also have to click off the ‘Mask’ switch as well.

I, too, save a custom camera view that is further back and higher up (my default camera setting is Close because Wide Angle gives too much distortion). I positioned my camera point so I peer forward-and-level through the gap in the front canopy handgrip.

Most jets in real world can only hit Mach 1 ish at low level.
Like Mr Scot would say " you can ney change the laws of physics"
Im hoping :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: some one (hint, hint) will release a Panavia Tornado F2 as it was one of the very few cold war birds to break mach 2 just above sea level

1 Like

This is incorrect. The Tornado F3 was the fastest jet in NATO with a maximum of Mach 1.3 at sea level. No airplane on Earth can reach Mach 2 anywhere near sea level - the thrust and drag curves meet long before that velocity.

No fighter on earth will ever see more than about 850 knots indicated either unless in a suicidal dive from high altitude - low down that IAS is Mach 1.3 or so, up high it’s Mach 3 nearly.

3 Likes

not the F2 but at least the GR1 :slight_smile:

Thanks I’ll try that. Seems like a workaround that shouldn’t be necessary though. most planes don’t show pilots at all once in the cockpit.

I guess my info from a DERA programme offical is grossly over stated.

Yes, it is. Mine comes from pilots who flew the F3, of whom I know several.

3 Likes

Started at 50k ALT and got it was flying about -5 nose down and it just took a little bit. Last time I tried was over Vegas and the air density is different as I researched. So ya it will do it.

2 Likes

Quick question:
When flying the Tomcat, it feels like my joystick has a dead zone, and when I come just out of that zone, the elevator control seems to over-react. As a consequence, it’s a bit difficult for me to keep a precise angle, the aircraft tends to oscillate a bit for each input…

Of course I checked my controller setup, the dead zone is zero.
I will compare with the F-15 just to be sure, but I think the Eagles don’t have the problem.
Is there any config window I missed in the Tomcat ? Or anything like that ?

do you use any sensitivity curve in the joystick options? could be that. In any case, it makes no sense to compare one plane with another. F-15 deflections are up = 26, down =15, while F-14 are
up = 33 down = 10. Besides, it is different wing geometry and different C.G.

They will never fly the same between them

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I was not talking about the general manoeuvrability of the aircraft, but rather the “response to minimum input”.
Right now, if I am in level flight, and I start pulling my joystick very slowly toward me, the aircraft reaction is like nothing-nothing-nothing-nose jumps up (well, like 3 to 5° up at once, not like a cobra or anything). It’s very hard to make small adjustments to aircraft pitch.

I checked the joystick sensitivity curves. I had set it back to normal (straight line) for the elevator a few months ago. I have now set it to low sensitivity around center (S line, flatter in the center) like -30% up and down, but this is not enough.

EDIT: typos, “not” instead of “now” etc…

Could it be linked to the AFCS system ? It was ON during my tests.
For info, aircraft was started directly on runway, not cold&dark.

The AFCS pitch controls autotrim and the maximum G’s you can do, you may get more linear control if you turn it off.

1 Like

Ok, I will try to deactivate it during my next tests. Thanks for the tip.