DC F-16 is nice

F-16 C/D/I released today. Very nice. Not perfect, but flight model is much better than F-15 package. In all regimes, ground ops/taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, low level, descent, and landing she performs very well.

A/B animation needs some work but she is a nice option to have.

Doing some systems/avionic testing and will report back.

2 Likes

It’s SC Designs, although they are closely related developers and think they work together… I’ve purchased and flown the F16 and like the FBW system. It has a couple of bugs, but I’m sure they’ll be fixed soon and don’t really affect enjoyment of flying it. I’d recommend it to anyone!

Nice, yeah a few people said the flight model is good with this plane. Don’t worry about mixing DC and SC Designs, that really spooked me when I learned they were different companies and another spook when I found out they often work together.

You have to ask yourself would they get a better reach marketing one company over two smaller ones? I wonder what the thinking is there because clearly, they decided together - maybe they are competitive brothers!

Had a bit of a blast around with this tonight - just flying, not even attempting to get under the skin of this yet. Really fun to fly. Stuck this video together. Really liking this, although two things:

1. Windscreen seems to be lacking reflections, to the point where it almost looks like there is no glass at all
  2. There is a white “corona” around the plane - I think when it breaks the sound barrier (you can see this at 2:17 in the video) which doesn’t look great to me, although maybe that’s realistic?

HD version available shortly

Yeah I think thats my only real issue with it. That big bubble canopy needs far more reflections. Especially in VR there’s really little sense there’s a canopy glass around you.

Its fun to fly in VR but as I mentioned in the other thread it just doesn’t feel right if you’re sitting upright at your computer desk. You really should be sitting quite reclined to get a proper feeling of sitting in the jet.

Will try it in VR tomorrow - see if it makes me as sick as the Hawk did when I did some canyon running!

Sorry not DC but SC…brain ■■■■. Flew several hours with her. The flight model is very good. I’ve flown RW FBW F-15/F-15Es and had a couple backseat rides in the F-16D. It handles much more like a real FBW with autotrim and slow speed handling (unlike either the DC F-15 or Asobo F-18). While I never assumed DCS level fidelity there are some drawbacks which may be sorted in future releases. For example, the HUD lighting is still poor–good for low light/night but daytime ops with full brightness is an issue (which they acknowledge). The inability to select TACAN stations–which was sorted quickly by Just Flight Hawk team. Clearly, there are numerous capabilities that are not modeled (weapons employment/Radar/EW etc) it still would be nice to provide some functionality to the non-working switches. On the radar front, perhaps it is a limfac of MSFS but I recall a freeware F-16 package back in FS2004 that had a functioning radar and the ability to lock on to airborne targets. Also, on a wish list, air-to-air refueling would be awesome. Provide an addon to the package which includes tankers in set tracks–similar to placing aircraft carriers in desired locations.

The documentation that accompanies is pretty good, and a heavy dose of study is required to manage the DED/FMS. My goal today is to setup an ILS approach and test the APP mode.

But the jet is super fun and an awesome addition to the VR fighter/trainer world.

It is a blast to fly!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.