DC6 with an Xbox controller

Are you able to fly the PMDG DC6 with an Xbox controller, Cause thats all I have and its currently not working.

I was just about to creat a topic about if the DC-6 is playabel with/supports xbox controller only.
Did research about if, but was not able to find a clear statment if yes or no.

Would love to leran manage the systems and fly the DC-6, but have xbox controller only too.
Hopefully somebody can tell us about xbox controller and how it works on DC-6.
Will intant buy the plane if is playebal with controller only

I also want to know as well. The CRJ had some issues too on launch when using a controller

i do not see anything why this would not be possible.

I can answer this as I play with a PS4 controller as I’m sure the process is similar. You can, but you will need some third party software to bind increase/decrease throttle as these are not working by default. I use DS4windows and got the DC-6 fully working by binding F3 to Circle and F2 to X to control the throttle. I posted about this on the official forum and asked for them to fix it. I’m sure they will eventually add native support as the Xbox release is upcoming.

3 Likes

So a controller wouldn’t just work off the bat even with third party software? You would need to fix some bindings?

Correct, unfortunately. Everything but the throttle works.

I know not everyone is prepared or able to invest into expensive controller hardware, and today stuff like yokes aren’t easy to come by either, but a simple joystick with a yaw axis isn’t expensive at all.
In contrast flying such complex and realistic (and costly) planes like the DC-6 or CRJ with the most unrealistic of input devices somehow defeats the point of a simulation for me. Well to each his own I guess …

2 Likes

I never had issues with the CJR and my Xbox controller, although I’ve been reading so many negative things about this PMDG release, I might hVe to practice restraint and not buy it right off the bat, as difficult as it is, because I’ve been -so- excited for a PMDG release for MSFS. Boo hoo!

Why would it not work, it’s basically a joystick with two analog control sticks and two analog switches and lots of buttons, that’s more you should need for any plane? And for the rest you can use mouse/keyboard.
I have had zero problems with all Asobo planes and few payware and freeware planes so how could it be any different compared to those?

-eelis-

1 Like

I use spad.next for my input management (it’s similar to FSUIPC, another program that does similar things) and noticed similar, but different problems to what I saw in the CRJ, specifically:

• for the throttles, the aircraft seems to read the virtual axis position directly, which means both that the default axis via spad.next didn’t work, and that adjustments with ‘throttle1 increase’ or ‘throttle1 decrease’ will not work consistently → this I believe means that the throttle increase/decrease buttons will not work on Xbox controller directly attached to MSFS, because the same event would be used that fails

• for the rpm lever, same problem

• note the flaps axis does not have this problem.

To work around the throttle and rpm axes I had to set up a custom axis in spad.next for each one that sent the value through an additional SimConnect event, something like THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1 etc. For this the axis value must be scaled into the -16383…16383 range.

With spad.next or fsuipc something could probably be rigged up to adjust the raw axis when you press the up/down buttons, but I think the most effective fix would be done on PMDG’s end to support non-axis-based input.

Mind to share what negativity you have heard?
I bought it yesterday and flew all day long today and it was just fantastic.
Fun to fly by hand, though I can’t judge how realistic this is as I have never flown a real one,
System depth is all there. I had no impact on performance nor did I suffer any CTD.
That’s why I’m curious.

3 Likes

Does it work with keyboard? I am hesistant to buy it because I don’t want a plane I can’t fly using any peripherals.

it’s incredible that you can’t use xbox gamepad with this plane,

They forgot to test it.
In their forum they say they are looking into it.
This almost funny, if I wasn’t one using an Xbox Controller.

I deinstalled this for now, won’t be able to fly before an update anyhow.

Their updates are never new installers. They are done via the PMDG Operations Center, so you will need it installed again before the update.

but you can, yo need to set it up correctly, thats all, but then thsi plane is not meant for the pure gamers.

Are we a little insecure today and have to hype ourselves into elitist imaginations ? Is your pilot roleplay going well ?

We are all gamers playing a video game in the genre of flight simulation.
I have played many simulation genres in the past 30 years.
Enjoying playing this one as well.

5 Likes

from PMDG forums:
Folks,

Something to point out here: We are working with a couple of game controller users via support- and we are seeing a couple of different reports.

• We have identified some changes we need to make to our throttle control to accommodate game controller users so those are pending an update.
  • We have fixed a large number of game controller users ability to control the airplane flight controls by reminding them to disengage the Control Lock.

More to come.

2 Likes

Couple of issues with the Xbox controller and the DC-6, believe throttle and the product is nowhere to be seen on the official marketplace - which has meant a significant reduction in sales (people who otherwise would have bought it).

Given that both can be remedied quickly, I suspect with the Xbox becoming the main voice and PC users no longer of any more significance to their counterparts, I suspect more add-ons will be focusing to cater for more accessibility longer-term. Great to hear.

Enjoy all. :slight_smile: