Default C172 (G1000) - 2 identical base aircraft liveries

I am curious to know if anyone else has noticed that there are 2 seemingly identical base liveries for the default Textron C172 (G1000). I can’t determine any discernable differences between the 2 aircraft. I do not have any additional C172 liveries installed anywhere.

I tried to uninstall the aircraft thinking that a reinstall might correct it, but apparently it is an essential part of the sim and its removal is not allowed.

If it’s just me, then I guess I must have a corrupted sim installation and will have to reinstall it.

Same for me

Confirmed:

Thank you both for your quick replies.
It’s not a big deal, for sure, but I just wanted to be certain that it wasn’t just my installation.

Is one the C172 Tow Plane ?

Not sure. The Liveries don’t distinguish at the Manager level.

EASY to find out. Edit the Thumbnail for the TOW version, and then take another look :face_with_spiral_eyes:

And there you have it – ONE of the Default liveries (for the C172 G1000) is the TOW Plane :grinning:

1 Like

Interesting!

Very interesting, as what is the difference between a USER selecting the Normal vs the TOW default, as one cannot currently tell which one is being selected…

I had “assumed” the TOW version was only used as an AI plane, when one was selecting a Glider

Well, my guess would be left most is standard SP, the one after is the tow. Judging by your canary telltale test, that is the case.

Until Asobo, or someone who understands this stuff has an explanation, I’ll just keep my thumbnail the photoshoped edited one for the Tow plane, so I can tell the difference, .

1 Like

Here is your explanation:

Seems like one set isUserSelectable = 1 in aircraft.cfg of the tow aircraft (asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_C172sp_AS1000_TowPlane) for testing purpose but did not revert it to isUserSelectable = 0

If you do so it’s gone again from your view only :wink:

Good find … maybe I’ll just do that text edit, and then there will be no future confusion.

I would assume we are some year away from a Multiplayer / Shared Cockpit Environment where on player can be the Tow Plane Pilot, and another the Glider Pilot ,

Yes, this will fix it for now. The tow will also still work fine :wink:

I actually did some experiments with tow planes - for now the towing aircraft basically needs some special yet unrealistic flight dynamics. I guess that’s something Asobo is still working on.

The DR400 for example pulls into a looping right after takeoff with a glider attached and ends up stalling - I think that’s the reason it’s not included as being a tow for now :wink:

So I think the dublicat is just for the time being. With so much to still improve until we reach an AI and multiplayer overhaul it’s fine for now imho.

Thanks —

I made the edit you suggested and (or course) it successfully got ride of the option to select the Tow plane to fly.

1 Like

A very interesting discussion - above! I truly appreciate the insights of the highly knowledgeable folks perusing this forum.
I have none of the glider or helicopter add-ons installed, as I am not really interested in those areas of aviation.

So as far as I am concerned, this thread can be closed.

1 Like

I tried this but then the 172 dissapeared as a tow option for my Discus, fortunately I still had the Wilga (marketplace version). Not sure but could be that without an alternative the Cessna would have stayed selectable rather than showing an empty box.

Thank you. I believe this thread can be closed, now.