Deimos SU-27 Flanker Released

Here’s what the stock FA18 with default camera settings looks like. AS you can see everything fits fine within the HUD:

Panned down a little also to confirm that all the analogue dials are in sync with the HUD as well (unlike the Flanker).

The default wide angle view with the Flanker looks like this:

As you can see the compass row sites half-way down the HUD compared to the stock FA18 but also the numbers go outside the “glass” area of the HUD.

The height is a common issue just due to the default camera view and really wish Asobo would make it possible to save this settting per aircraft. I can fix this for the Flanker by setting it to about 80 (coompared to the default 50 with the FA18).

The width however I can’t fix and I think that’s a scaling issue that @DeimoS987 needs to fix. I thought it was perhaps because I was running my screen at 4K and had text size at 150% but that’s not the case.

Here’s a final example from the DC Designs AV-8B with same camera settings as the Hornet. I don’t know if this is a completely new HUD or they just slightly modified the FA18 one but it can clearly be shown that the text size is smaller meaning everything things well into the available space:

Lastly on the gauges not matching the HUD, there is a setting in general options to change the sim to use the Metric system:

I tried this but the HUD still reports in Feet/Knots with the gauges in Metres/KPH. Again this is something that Demos needs to fix.

As mentioned previously other planes provide either an EFB or toggle switch to change the units of measurement so it’s technically possible and users should be given the choice of authenticity (which is ruined by the HUD anyway) or consistency (recalibrated for western ATC interoperability.).

1 Like

Came across this video from Migman which seems to show the HUD in a better position:

In the comments they posted links to how to setup the camera which may be worth a try.

Also they confirmed they are not using VR (TrackIR I think)

Ok, possibly a final solution to the HUD issue. It would seem the dev has only tested this in VR so the default camera settings are a bit off.

Using the “Translate Forward” keybind (Alt + UP by default I think) I was able to get the HUD to fit into the proper space. Essentially this moving the pilot forward rather than zooming. I could then use the “Translate Up” (UP by default) to move the pilot up in there seat.

Once these are set you can save a custom camera view. Further details here:
Custom camera settings - stored where? - User Support Hub / Hardware & Peripherals - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Setting aren’t yet perfect but gets everything into the view. If anyone would like a starting point here’s my current cameras file, just rename to cameras.cfg in the appropriate save folder.
flanker_cameras.cfg.txt (692 Bytes)

I think they should just go for a Su-30 MKI/MIA/MKM variant with newer avionics and a map from the F-18. :slight_smile:

Just add canards and thrust vectoring.

Well if you’re on PC I have found a mod that can bring the GTN750 from PMS50 into the plane

Just needs the mod below and a modified panel.cfg. Bit of a crude first attempt.

JayDee´s - PMS GTN750 on Others Mod for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

1 Like

I’ve submitted a few videos to Deimos demonstrating some of the issues found so hopefully we’ll see further feedback.

On a flight this evening I seemed to suffer a complete NAV/COM failure. All the instruments were dead even though HUD and autopilot was working (HDG/ALT mode)

Even the popup ATC was showing electrical power as off even though battery and generator was on. I’ve noticed this a couple of times before but it was only a blip not constant.

Restarted the flight and all was back to normal. I’ve no controls bound to electrical systems.

Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: Tried fiddling with some of the light switches and if I switch one or other of the panel lighting knobs on/off it seems to restore the power.

Is the sim clever enough to detect excessive current usage?

Either way think @DeimoS987 needs to take a look at what the Instrument Light switch is doing.

Out of a fast jet group flight yesterday and what better to use than this beast.

I did encounter a couple of issues though:

• Gear seemed to go/up down on its own
  • When opening canopy it seemed to close itself and the sound seemed out of sync with the animation.

Neither of these issues I have seen whilst having multiplayer disabled which is how I tried to carry out most of my prior testing.

I need to review this further in case it’s a conflict with some other addon.

As far as I know it’s not possible for another multiplayer aircraft to impact your own although the way you see other aircraft (due to shared simvars I think) can be impacted by actions you take. So think this multiplayer side is a red herring.

I just made my first test flight with the Su-27, with the weapons mod.
Two issues occurred and I couldn’t understand why:

1- the flaps never deploy. They stay fullly retracted all the time. It doesn’t matter what I do with the buttons in the cockpit, or with the lever on my TCA quadrant, no flaps will ever move. Even when set to AUT in the cockpit, they will not deploy on slow flight ?

2- I can’t get any weapon to display. I have just selected the default Su-27, first in the list, the blue one. Pylons do appear, but no weapons. Also, what are the correct weights for these weapons ? I understand they should appear if the weight is more than 100, but what should it be exactly ? I don’t need a 2 tons missile if the real weight is just a few kilograms :confused:

Other than that, I love the plane. The flight model seems quite nice, even did a few Cobras :smiley:

Its Marketplace only so you won’t have weapons…unless @DeimoS987 releases a separate community mod for PC users that is :wink:

I know, and I have downloaded and installed the weapons mods for the Mig29 and the A10 successfully. But the one for the SU-27 doesn’t want to show anything, despite adding the correct weights.y
I’ll try again later on.

Whoops, I didn’t realise they’d actually released a mod for this one :slight_smile:

Did you see this comment on flightsim.to page…maybe it’ll help:
“you have to select the plane with the W … and add weight to the holders”

Yes that was the reason, I had not selected a “W” variant, ok. Now the weapons are showing.
Still my previous remarks are valid: it would be nice to see the actual required weight (not a fantasy “more than 100 lbs”) per weapon type, in order to fly with the correct payload. It would be sufficient to have it written in the payload station description text, just like some other military jets in MSFS. Simple and easy to find and use.

Also, having a similar system to some other addons where the exact weight determines which weapon can appear, which would allow us to choose which weapon we want on which pylon :wink:

I haven’t re-tested in flight yet, but in my previous flight the flaps wouldn’t move at all on that plane. From all my Deimos planes, the Su27 is the only one suffering from this problem, strangely. The flaps work beautifully on the Su57 for example.

Noted the weappn weight request!
Regarding flaps… that is strange, contact me on pvt or on my discord thanks

Thanks a lot for considering the stations descriptions texts :slight_smile:

Concerning the flaps, there’s something new.
Yesterday or two days ago, I had a mandatory update for the sim, followed by three updates for my Deimos planes in my hangar, including the Su-27.

Tonight I made a quick flight with it and noticed a few changes, one of which was the flaps: now they do show some movements in auto mode. It still doesn’t exactly deploy as much as it should (excepted when performing a high AOA maneuver) but it’s better than before, when they didn’t move at all.

The issue with the flaps rotary button in the cockpit is still there though: I can switch it from auto to “flight” only. I cannot rotate it to “land”. Also, in “flight”, the description label (when hovering the mouse on the control) says it’s 100% deployed, but it doesn’t appear as deployed in the external view. The small buttons (blue and yellow I think… I should have taken a screenshot, sorry) just under the rotary flaps button, which also control the flaps, will just make the rotary button switch to flight as well. It’s like the “land” position cannot be reached ?

Finally, one last thing: the canopy is acting strange. I opened it after my landing. But when I made a slow turn to the parking, it closed itself without any action from my side ? Then a few seconds later, it opened again by itself… Weird ?

Other that that, I’m quite pleased with the plane. I’m glad there are a lot of buttons I can interact with in the cockpit. And the 3D model is just SWEET ! I believe it lacks Su-27 typical engine sound though, am I correct ? Sorry, a lot of criticizing in my message, I know… but I really love the plane :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: