DELL wide monitor - GREAT!

Well, zoom in…

I think you just don’t understand the issue, which I think is due to an over active depth of field. So here is an example. Notice the shape of the 2 fields as you pan around the aircraft. The light field appears square in the 1st shot but elongates into a rectangular field in the last screen shot. While the green field has its bottom right corner dragged out of shape.

This of change (or distortion as I call it) would only happen from greatly different view points, not just the small viewpoint change in the screen shot by rotating around the aircraft. Ultrawide monitors seem to amplify this effect.

yes, which is why you should zoom out less. You’re overexaggerating the effect with your zoom levels.

This was at the default MSFS zoom for an external view. Zooming in did hide the effect a little, but just by chopping off the edges of the screen. Why then have a ultra wide screen monitor?

@wilco3563 nailed it! There is of course a door on the RHS of the aircraft - doh! Thanks!

Because going to max zoom out, it creates a fish eye lens effect, the FOV (or Field of View) is very large. This is less noticeable on narrower screens, but is enlarged by the ultrawides.

Wow, these wide screens sure give your GPU card a run for its money. I have the GeForce 2080 Super and with my regular monitor it ran constantly at about 75%. Now with the wide screen it’s a little out of breath, running constantly at 100% with the graphics set to High End.

StevoSim:

How big is the monitor that taxes your GPU?

Yep fish eye effect that was the phase I was looking for. And the screen shots are not zoomed in or out, just default MSFS zoom. While zooming in will hide the fisheye effect, you are reducing your field of view to roughly that of a standard 1920x1080 monitor, and losing any benefit of the ultra wide format. The reason I bought the wider monitor was to increase my field of view in MSFS. The ultra wide screen works on other games that support variable screen sizes and any Windows applications, but produces the fisheye effect only in MSFS. It also affects multi monitor setups in the same manner.
Luckily Asobo are aware of this issue.

@WobbliestAce53 it’s a 49 inch 5120x1440

That’s got to be crazy immersive! Thanks.

@WobbliestAce53 yeah to be honest I’m still trying to decide if I like it

The fisheye effect (mentioned above) that that you get towards the edges of the screen distorts things. So for instance the right hand pillar/door frame looks super thick at the right edge of the screen (pics above). You can also see it clearly with this external screen capture. (Look at the left wing!)

Hmmmmm… wonder if 16:9 4k is the way to go in a large monitor?

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Something like this maybe:
https://www.dell.com/premier/accessories/us/en/rc1378895?gacd=9620985-1031-5761040-266790384-0&dgc=st&ds_rl=1277860&ds_rl=1277860&gclid=CjwKCAiAqJn9BRB0EiwAJ1SztdX867vyh0fwpc93KcywSehkXS7Bk44Be8fk7Lv6CR571tadtsy12xoCG6YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#/productdetail/210-AVKE

I built a new PC over the last months.
I use 2x 27" Dell U2720Q 4K monitors -> 7680x2160 in Window mode.
With RTX 3090 got 29fps in that dual screen configuration with ultra settings.

downscaled to 50%

OK I’ve found a solution to the fisheye problem - well, sortof. My solution is to balance it out. You see the standard layout of the cockpit is to have the pilot’s seat pretty much plumb center of the screen. This means that the rest of the cockpit extends well to the right of the screen and the fisheye effect kicks in hectically, making the doorframe and pillar look extraordinarily fat (see below).

The solution, to my mind is so simple I feel I’m a complete idiot for not thinking of it before. I simply adjust the camera settings to center the cockpit on the screen, and then the fisheye effect is significantly less on the right, and whatever fisheye effect there is, is balanced on the LHS and RHS.

Now of course I don’t want to “sit” in the center of the cockpit, so I get off my posterior, and move my chair left a bit. Feels a little weird not sitting plumb center of the screen but this is such a wide screen I figure I’ll get used to it.

1 Like