Denarq Twin Beech - Beech 18 improvements mod. New Update 1.5 is out

Maybe Carenado could hire you to work on their flight models! Or once employed again you could at least turn this into a side hustle. You obviously have a knack for it, and at this rate you could partner up with somebody doing the 3D models and be producing top notch addons in no time.

1 Like

Did you rewrite the whole flight model as some claim, or just tweak bits?

Right now, almost everything regarding flight model or engine performance is new in my mod.

5 Likes

This is such good work, I almost have no words.

Would it be possible to include the option to make the copilot visible in cockpit view?

In any case, thank you for making the Beech 18, one of my all time favourite planes, actually flyable in the sim!

5 Likes

This is an excellent question, sort of model related it seems, and different developers say different things on the possibility of it. It may depend on how Carenado assigned pilot positions in the model, which may or may not be changeable (depends on if itā€™s a model thing or a .gltf thing.). Itā€™s obviously ā€œpossibleā€ in MSFS. Whether or not it is in this plane is an excellent question.

But I would love that, too.

There is no windshield de-icing on this thing? Couldnā€™t find it.

-Cabin heat: In real plane, cabin heat is used not only for passengers and pilot confort but also do deice windshield. In my mod, right lever is used to switch on/off wind shield deice. Left lever is used in conjunction with the engine selector switch to resel left/right engine wear and damage.

1 Like

Guys, Iā€™m very sorry. Iā€™ve just notice there is a very important sound missing, the starter sound.
A quick fix will be uploaded soon. (V.1.1.1)

4 Likes

Thanks.

(10 Characters)

Quick fix updated.

v1.1.1
Changelog:
Fix: Missing starter sound.

Now, you should year a very distint sound during engine start.
For everyone who wants, donā€™t forget to install free castering wheel from extras folder. Very demanding but very cool.

2 Likes

With your skill try approaching the BlackSquare guy. He has a winning formula of upgrading existing planes on both systems and 3d models. Or WT. I would love to see - and pay for - your skill applied to the Ju52 or any of the other old planes.

4 Likes

100% this level of detail is seldom seen and could become profitable! With Asobo planes, you very likely need to make an agreement before charging money for any mods to them (which I assume Black Square has already). But I could see perhaps teaming up with or contracting other 3rd parties to make 3D models to which you add the systems, I know some developers do things like that.

I too would pay a small amount for upgrades to more planes with the same level of detail as the Beech 18. This is really cool!

1 Like

I guess what Iā€™m asking is, did you have to rewrite the whole FM because of encryption?

Plus, Iā€™ll tack on that I agree with the above posters. Youā€™ve got potential here to work with others.

The REP packages for X-Plane were exactly this. A developer who would add maintenance, wear and tear, failures, etc etc along with a nice interface. They did packages for both default planes as well as some third party ones. I miss those.

3 Likes

So in the extras folder there is a file for both castoring and non-castoring, what do I get if I use neither of them?

I just assume with a bit of common sense that you can replace with the castoring folder, yet Alex also uploaded the default if you want to switch back without having to make your own back up / if you forget.

2 Likes

The Dakota mod has a free castoring tailwheel? How? Mine has not!
Do want!

By default, my mod came without free castering wheel. To enable it, just copy FLIGHT_MODEL.CFG file from extras folder to your mod folder. See guide for detail instructions.

Exactly

1 Like

Iā€™m finding the castoring wheel a bit of a handful to use. It looks to be due to the oscillation / vibration of the plane causing the wheel to keep deflecting in random directions even when rolling straight. Iā€™m using an unloaded plane in my case which could be causing it. Will try to do some testing with more weight loaded.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also there doesnā€™t appear to be any change in engine noise levels when you open the sliding windows vs the small front window. Possibly an oversight in your sound config.

There is also a little bit of obvious looping at very low rpm.

2 Likes

It does it with weight too. There are friction issues with wheels in MSFS, but a bigger part of the problem with the castoring wheel is that the contact point doesnā€™t actually correspond with the visible position of the wheel. For instance, if the contact point is set at the pivot point (x & z), the wheel will visibly move around it, but the contact point will not change.

Stability in castoring wheels is maintained by having the wheel offset from the pivot so it follows the pivot point whichever direction it is moving (weight is in front). So the parameters allow for the wheel to change directions freely, but it is biased towards instability since it canā€™t follow the pivot point.

Until the sim allows for the contact point to change dynamically with the position of the wheel, Iā€™m afraid these issues will continue. It also explains part of why so many planes tend to weather vane easily on the ground, and that the overall problems are less apparent the heavier the aircraft.

3 Likes