Dense high level clouds open into a ring of clear weather directly above that follows the plane

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Brief description of the issue:

Denser layers of high level clouds form a clear ring that follows the plane.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

near VTBD

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

14/07/2022 10:30z

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Find denser high level ~FL380+ cloud layer and look up.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Sim Update 10 beta 1 (1.27.9.0)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I will had more screenshots. the halo had been around since a long time in the sim. But I can see that now, WX radar doesn’t seem to show the halo anymore.
But in outside view, it’s breaking the sky with a big hole in the clouds.

Same here.

Still has not been fixed… :frowning:

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

No

No

Flying in high level clouds I noticed they don’t draw around the airplane, creating a “hole” around the plane.

Didn’t record my position

14-10-2022 23:20 UTC

See video. I think it’s a particular cloud type (and altitude) that creates this effect.

AMD Ryzen 5800X, GTX1660 Super, 32 Gig RAM, Win 11, DirectX11, High-Ultra settings

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

1 Like

Yes

Using custom weather to reproduce the issue (I assume can also happen with live weather in similar clouds conditions) setting up 1 high layer as shown in the screenshot with light density (also see other values), flying high FL380, we can see a hole above the airplaine moving at same time. Community folder is empty.
I am under SU11 Beta but this issue has been reported since SU10 Beta.

1 Like

Yes

Using the drone the high level clouds can be seen to give way and form a void around the viewpoint.

2 Likes

This thread is now feedback-logged, good progress :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

MODERATOR EDIT: This post was merged into the topic.

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

While flying over the ocean at FL470 there was a high level haze/cloud layer from live weather. However, I could never actually fly into the haze. There was a permanent ring of “clear” weather centered on my aircraft that appeared to extend some 10 or 20nm in radius around my aircraft that moved along with me, preventing me from ever entering the haze. Roughly 30nm later, the haze layer disappeared as did this magic circle of clear weather.

As noted in screenshot, flying north from Indonesia toward Cambodia (100nm south of TAPON waypoint). Math places aircraft near 05° 31′ 23″ N, 106° 35′ 32″ E

November 25 2022 at approximately 2019Z

Used live weather for the date/time listed above, and weather included hazy layer in the FL4xxs. Out over open ocean well away from METAR/airports

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

First noticed in 40th anniversary edition (1.29.28.0)

1 Like

The team has worked to repro this issue with the settings, weather, and location but have not been able to. Can users confirm if they are still seeing this issue in the latest build?

2 Likes

I’m on the AAU1 Beta and I can still recreate this using the weather panel. When I change the altitude of the top layer, the circular gap changes in size.
In the picture I’m flying somewhere above France (I don’t think location actually matters if you don’t use Live Weather).
I’m at FL430. Note when I change the density or altitude of the top layer, the circle changes size.

4 Likes

And the same applies when I create a thin layer of cloud below my own altitude:

3 Likes

Thank you for the info @Sleevezipper! Sent it to the devs for another repro attempt.

1 Like

when using live weather this hole use to be bigger in sim update 10, they fixed it in su11, but now is back.

this is what you see from the distance. the live weather use to look amazing pre su7, I still don’t understand what they have done and after all this time they haven’t even mention it.

2 Likes

I don’t remember seeing this fixed in SU11. Upper clouds have always been pretty horrible since I started using in SU10. SU11 improved lower level clouds with more layering. And since then nothing has really changed with upper clouds. My guess is on how upper level data is handled which just seems to be wind based. OPUSFSI in their weather tool has three levels of cloud data- low, medium, high. For now it seems MSFS only has low and medium. Any upper or high level clouds is getting “lucky” but it’s clear the data and depiction of that is even worse or less than those lower levels.

1 Like

The bug is still around… high cloudlayer everywhere around exept in a circle where i fly. Live weather on. The wind also suddenly just shifted from west to east in seconds…

Going from KJFK to TNCM and just passed halfway.

1 Like

Still happening today 15/06/2023, as is the “no registration visible on the TBM” bug, after all this time.

Fully expect this bug to be present in FS2024. They just don’t care.

Still present.

1 Like

I don’t think this is actually a bug, but aggressive optimization to squeeze every quantum of performance out of the minimum specs computers.