[ DEPRECATED ] ATR 42-600 Cargo / Freight version

UPDATE 2022/11/21 # i heard during a developer livestream that the upcoming ATR will have a cargo version available :smiley: :smiley: so this post is deprecated now.

hello people, new guy here,

i am very happy to know that the ATR 42-600 is coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. i was unaware of the existence of the company ( and the aircraft ) before i saw and heard the announcement of the ATR 42-600 by Jorg Neumann. i am looking forward to this plane because all of the existing ( default ) planes do not fit my personal preferences. after some research, i discovered that the ATR 42-600 does fit my preferences.

however, i prefer cargo planes. from what i could find, ATR does not make a freight version of the 42-600, however, there are real-world third-party companies who make conversion kits to make a real-world 42-600 into a 42-600 for cargo / freight. i would be VERY happy with an official ATR 42-600 cargo / freight edition from Asobo Studios.

thank you.

You can install liveries from here and then youā€™ll be able to fly using freight company liveries.

i forgot to mention that i also fly my own liveries because i dislike the use of real-world companies. and, the plane in the game is a civilian passenger airplane, NOT the actual cargo version.

Well in that case, canā€™t you make your own cargo liveries yourself? that way you technically do a ā€œconversionā€ of your passenger ATR into a cargo / freight configuration?

like i said, just painting the plane does not make it a cargo plane. the cargo plane does not have passenger windows and it has a big cargo door, which the passenger version obviously does not have.

Ahhā€¦ I seeā€¦ okay. I thought we can just paint over the windows and then just paint a small outline to ā€œmakeā€ a big cargo doorā€¦ You know to ā€œpretendā€ā€¦ since itā€™s a simulator and weā€™re all ā€œpretendingā€ to be a pilot anyway.

5 Likes

just now, i discovered that ATR makes a cargo / freight version of the 72-600ā€¦ but i prefer the 42-600.

also, i play the game with a different mindset. i do not pretend to be a pilot. i just play the game, fly, land, enjoy the views, enjoy the challenges, and so on. i do not pretend to be a pilot nor do i ever want to be one.

Well, since livery creators are able to make the default 747-8 into a Cargo livery with blocked out windows. Iā€™m pretty sure the upcoming ATR can be treated the same way too when itā€™s released.

1 Like

i understand. but i prefer the actual freight version.

But you said there is no official freight version of the 42-600 by ATRā€¦ Which means thereā€™s no official specification on what the frieight version would be. Without the official specification, they canā€™t simulate the freight aircraft properly.

But then again, if you are expecting a freight version in terms of flight model and mechanics, then I think itā€™s also possible. Itā€™s just changing values, changing a different lift values, drag coefficient, changing the MTOW and capacity, these can be done through mods.

So Iā€™m sure with enough interest, someone could mod the upcoming ATR to behave and flies like a freight version. The 72 would be easier since the specs can be found from the real life freight variant. But the 42 would be a challenge since it doesnā€™t exist in real life. So simulating a cargo freight version without a base documentation on what it should behave is difficult.

1 Like

A cargo version with the short upper deck is not developed though. The freighter version.

Should not be difficult ( not that i can do it ) but i am surprised nobody did.

if a real-world company makes a freight conversion for the 42-600, then somebody has the specificationsā€¦ so it is possible to get an accurate freight version. although i do not really care if it flies like the real thing or not. i would be happy if it flies like the passenger version.

Iā€™m just confused between your comment saying:

But you also said:

From my understanding that means all you need is a cargo livery, right? And my point is since livery creators have been able to create cargo liveries by blocking out the windows for the 747-8 aircraft, that means itā€™s technically possible to make a freight livery for either ATR models as well. Since you donā€™t mind if it flies like the passenger version, then thereā€™s really no need to mod it into the freight version specs other than using a freight livery on it. Seems easy enough to do since weā€™ve been doing it for the 747-8.

2 Likes

you misunderstand or did not actually read what i said.

i want to fly an ATR 42-600 with an actual functioning cargo door and all the other things that are different on the cargo conversion ( which DOES exist in real life, but not made by ATR from the factory ). if it does not actually fly like the real thing, i would not care because i would never be able to notice, because i do not fly the actual real world aircraft, so HOW it flies is irrelevant to me.

if you still do not understand my request after this reply, i will stop responding to your comments because it is my opinion that this conversation has become weird.

1 Like

OPā€™s point stands, tbh - if PMDG are churning out the BDSFā€™s (which are also fully STCā€™d) then the excuse of it not being an ā€˜officialā€™ product isā€¦wellā€¦it isnā€™t an excuse. The point is there is a spec (because it is ā€˜officialā€™, just the work not done directly by ATR/Leonardo/Airbus/whoever they are this week) and theyā€™re in common use.

A separate issue is one of developers getting their hands on one, and/or its paperwork (cooperation with ATR doesnā€™t necessarily mean cooperation with AKKA). But thatā€™s a long shot given ATR have got their stamp on it and gave out the spec :thinking: Doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s not some weird reason theyā€™ve been blocked from reproducing it in the sim, by someone, somewhere in the chainā€¦