Developer Mode - what the info in the window actually means

Here is a screen shot from my PC, in Developer Mode.

Can someone who knows more than I please explain in as simple a way possible what each line in the reporting Window actually means

Screenshot (207)

I am getting limited by GPU (at least I think that that is what it is saying) and limited by thread. These do seem pretty common but in any case I am not surprised with my PC it is rather old and its spec is as follows:-

980X 6core i7
Asus p6X58D-E MOBO
12Gb 2000MHz RAM
nVidia GTX 1650 GPU 4Gb vRAM
SATA HD

I will be upgrading it, initially with a better GPU then well everything when the Pension allows.

Thanks for reading

The simplest way for me is to see what colors are displayed. Honestly, your colors are all green giving you a very good FPS. Not sure there is any reason to upgrade anything right now. Your GPU is running at 10.9 ms and the CPU is at 10.1 ms which is very balanced. Are you seeing good performance?

The Developer Mode focuses on graphic performance. Looking at your hardware, a SATA HD used to be “the fastest” but SSDs are necessary for the fastest disk I/O. Your memory could be upgraded to more and faster memory. Since everything runs through the MOBO, that may need to be upgraded as well. In other words, if you choose to only upgrade your graphics card right now, the latest and greatest may not be able to used with your MOBO. Also many of the newer cards need a lot more power than older GPUs, more power meaning your power supply might need upgrading.

If you are okay with the current performance, I think you don’t need to do anything right now. If performance starts to degrade, you might be better off upgrading everything at the same time with a new computer. Hardware continues to improve each year and there are a number of “gaming” PCs at reasonable prices.

Thanks for the post

MSFS takes about 20 minutes to load.

Unfortunately the DDR3 RAM that will fit my 12 year old PC is impossible to find, I have been looking for two months now.

The MOBO I have can only go up to 24Gb anyway and even if memory was available ÂŁ200 spent on an old system is not good.

At least with an upgraded GPU I can move it to a new system but there again they are very few of them around at present

An upgraded GPU can bring a sub optimal power supply to it’s knees (ask me how I know…), hazards of adding newer components to older underlying architecture.

What are your settings? High-End? Medium?

AI traffic has a big impact on CPU performance.

I have the settings all on Medium and not sure on AI setting

I have a 1000W power supply installed.

1 Like

This is most probably caused by addons, like those multi-GB Google-conversed cities. I observed it, too. I thinks it’s neither to do with you CPU nor GPU, but at best the speed of your drive (HD, SSD, M.2)

I would suggest getting the MSFS Addon Linker from flightsim.to and use it to split your addons into groups (regions, countries) and activate them as needed only. This made my load time bearable again.

Unfortunately, I foresee a time where even one of my regions/countries active alone will bring loading to turtle speed again. :wink: