Diamond DA62 cold start issue

Good evening fellow flight simmers…

Sorry to bring this one up again, but I’ve not seen a solution to this issue.

Diamond DA62 will not cold start. Everything is fine until engine start… Props turn but do not start.

Someone suggested power consumption issues on the PFD??? Was this the fix? If so, how do you change it??

Checklist doesn’t make sense… master switch on, then off, then on again…

I’ve followed some helpful you tube videos, but in doing exactly what those folk are doing!!

And yes, my fuel selector is fully on!!!

Thank you for reading this, and hopefully someone has a fix!!

How long do you hold the start button?

After turning on one of the Engine Master switches, are you seeing the L/R GLOW ON annunciation for a few seconds, and then are you waiting for that annunciation to be extinguished before pressing an Engine Start button?

Please let us know if you are flying with:

1. The stock GA62 or the GA62X Improvement Mod.
  2. The stock Garmin G1000 or the Garmin G1000 NXI

Thank you for your replies…

Start button is held down, rather than just pressed.

No add ons… the only thing in my Community folder is the driver for my Honeycomb throttle to enable lights on the throttle quadrant.

I’ll have to check if I’m pressing the starter button too early…

Back a little later…

Where to I pick up the da62 improvement mod?

Is it in the store??

Sorry if that’s a stupid question…!!

Just successfully started the vanilla DA62 from cold & dark twice. Once without the checklist, and again with it. I don’t understand any confusion with the checklist either. Elec Master goes on & off again during the inspection to check the fuel quantity. After that it goes on again for engine start and then stays on.

Bare minimum required to start (without the checklist):

1. Fuel selectors on (two sliders by your right hip. All the way forward)
  2. Elec Master on
  3. LH Eng Master on
  4. Start Left (press & hold)
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for RH engine

Ok, still no go I’m afraid, despite the helpful suggestions…
My starting process as I recall is:

Left and Right Fuel selectors to full on
Master Battery On
Alternators on
Strobe on
Left Fuel Pump on
Left master switch on - wait for Glow indicator to go out
Left engine start - which it doesn’t!!!
Any further help appreciated. With the Beechcraft Bonanza VS autopilot not working properly at the moment and now the Diamond not starting, I have two aircraft not useable!!!

Any further help much appreciated.
Thank for reading this.

1 Like

I followed your steps exactly and it starts straight away. As per the checklist you should not have turned the fuel pumps on though, they are for landing only according to the checklist.

I see two possible causes here - your fuel selectors are not on, or you have a key binding issue

This is where the fuel selectors are what they should look like

Maybe it would be worth video capturing your cold & dark attempted start so that we can follow the steps exactly or see where you might be going wrong?

You must wait for the “L/R Glow On” annunciations to go out first before starting. I just tested that and it will spin up but will not start if you attempt to start with the annunciation still lit.

Thank you again for your time everyone in responding.

I am literally about to disconnect my flight yoke and throttle quadrant to see if there’s a key binding issue there.

Videoing may take longer - don’t have anything other than a stand alone video cam, but will do so if I continue to have problems!!

Thanks again for the pic of the fuel selectors - that is what I’m doing, but good to have it confirmed.

You don’t need to film the screen with a camera, there is software that will record what you’re doing on-screen and save it as a video file

Good luck

Thank you for the link to the screen video recorder - I’ll give it a go!

However, the aircraft started without the flight yoke and throttle quadrant attached - so it must be a binding issue.

Can’t imagine which one is the likely culprit - all the switches on the Honeycomb Alpha work as they should, and I erased the magneto commands as that magneto four way switch doesn’t cut the mustard for starter buttons. Probable culprit is the Bravo throttle with a switch doing something that it shouldn’t.

Guess I’ll have to delete all the bindings, start with the throttle input, and work the way through…

If I had to guess I would say it was your mixture in that case. Double check its bindings.

Problem has been solved - key bindings from a previous aircraft configuration in the throttle quadrant - fuel bindings. Strange thing is - no switches or in this case the fuel valve levers were affected - they all stayed where they should be.

I therefore have to retract the statement that the DA62 is not working - you’ll forgive me for thinking it wasn’t having found a previous topic that for all the world replicated my problem.

Removing all the fuel settings on the Brava configuration allowed the engine start process to go ahead normally. I even managed to configure the two engine master switches to the Bravo which given the nature of the Bravo and it’s switch behaviour is quite something, If I could only configure the fuel selector levers…

All is well with the world with this aircraft now. Thank you - firstly for ensuring that I was following the right process and secondly for the binding solution that was in fact the unexpected root of the problem!

1 Like

I will check this even though I now have the engines running.
Thank you.

1 Like

How did you start them? CTRL+E? I just spotted above you had a binding problem. What was it?

I’ve always been trying to hit the starter buttons with the mouse - until an hour ago or so, they wouldn’t start.
I can only think that fuel selector settings that I copied across for the new DA62 Bravo profile must have conflicted with the actual settings in aircraft. I hadn’t tried to bind a starter switch or fuel selector lever - the bindings were copied over from the last aircraft I set bindings for.

Having unplugged the flight yoke and throttle quadrant, I was able to start the engines using the mouse for everything. That meant that the problem had to be a binding problem.

Deleting all the fuel selector bindings seemed to do the trick - now I’m able to use the Alpha and Bravo units for everything except fuel selection lever and engine start.

I’ll be working on those this evening to see if I can do it - without a ‘Engine 1 start’ binding, I don’t think I’ll manage it…we’ll see!!

And an update on starting…
Managed just now to allocate the two starter buttons to the magneto switch on the Alpha. Not quite what it’s for, but it’s at least to do with engine starting…
On the Alpha, I’ve used the R switch point for ‘Set Starter 1 Hold’ - the ‘Both’ switch setting has ‘Set Starter 2 Hold’ assigned to it.

Setting the switch to ‘OFF’ before starting the sim, I now hit one of the Bravo switches to set Left Master Switch on - then rotate the magneto switch to R to start the engine. When it fires, I move the magneto switch to ‘L’ which is unbound and by doing this it releases the Left Ignition switch. Then hit another Bravo switch for ‘Set Master 2’, then switch the magneto switch on the Alpha to ‘Both’ to start the engine. When it fires, I move the magneto switch to ‘Start’ which is again unbound and simply releases the starter button.

As I said, it’s a workaround using the magneto switch in a similar way to say the Cessna 172, but have adapted it for the push button start mode of the DA62.

Works for me!!!

1 Like

Topic Author has selected a solution. Closing thread.