Did Storm Turbulence Get Improved?

I just flew the ATR-42 from KPSP to KSBP and there is a real corker of a storm happening in San Luis Obispo right now. When I hit the storm clouds at 4000’ as I was approaching the IAF, the aircraft just got tossed. I lost 300’ of altitude and the thing was absolutely being tossed about like I’ve never experienced in a storm in the sim before.

Was this just luck, or updrafts, or did something actually change with the weather?

It was awesome!

As far as I know, there have been no changes to the Weather system in SU15 other than the “ice fix” in the .2 build.

1 Like

Whatever it was it had me sweating.

We need more of this sort of thing. The danger factor was excellent.

6 Likes

I flew that same storm around the same time as you! I was in a V-Tail Bonanza from San Luis Obispo to Santa Paula and boy was it a white knuckle flight. I also felt it was the best that storm turbulence had felt in a while, but it might be coincidence.

1 Like

I just took off from KPSP, where the same storm has moved southward. I’m in the A320 v2 and it’s been crazy bumpy from 10000’-13000’ during my climb.

1 Like

The updraft simulation has been improved quite a bit since they first implemented the atmospheric airflow simulation. The rising air would overshoot or undershoot clouds by a large margin at times, but this has definitely been improved, which you can see using the airflow visualization tool. There’s a much better connection now between clouds and rising air. This should result in emergent turbulence within dense clouds via the proximity airflow simulation when it’s working as intended.

Outside the cloud:

Inside the cloud:

Rising air meeting the cloud:

Slewing from right to left into a cloud:

Pics from earlier versions showing some of the problems with the updraft simulation that have since been fixed/improved upon:

1 Like

I have turbulence set to realistic and before this build of the beta I NEVER got anything close to significant turbulence, but then on Friday evening or so when there was a storm rolling into the LA area (probably the same storm you guys are talking about) I got in the Tecnam P2012 and took off from KPSP going to KLAX (not a direct route) and was getting tossed around like crazy as I was climbing up to 10 or 11,000’.

Glad to see that they have seemed to improve this quite a bit as @CoastalGamer has pointed out. Certainly adds to the immersion/realism because as I said before, I honestly never got much of any turbulence and certainly not very harsh turbulence like the other evening.

PS: I am playing on Xbox Series X, not that I think that matters in this case?

It’s nice to see the potential is there. However you kinda lose respect for weather in the sim as the forces, turbulence and consequences aren’t there.
Everytime I boot up the ol XP I end up in a really bad spot because I forget what a CB or storm actually does.

1 Like

Had already severe turbulence in a storm with SU14…

I wasn’t sure if this was an SU15 thing or if it existed prior. It has been so long since I’ve even flown in a storm that, in my case, it would have been easily missed in SU14.

I even revisited SU14’s release notes, but saw nothing there.

I did recall someone mentioning that this was brought up in the last Q&A: