Difference between CFD in SU9 and new prop physics introduced in SU8?

There’s been a LOT of questions/confusion on this topic.

I asked a Moderator to get some clarification with this post:

• There’s a lot of confusion about the new prop modeling/simulation feature. Could we please get an official response on this? Is it enabled by default in the beta for those 3 planes? How can we turn on the visualization? What do the different parameters do in the cfg file? This such an exciting new feature, would love to know more so we can test properly. Thank you so much!

The reply:

• Thanks for the message. I’m not 100% sure of this myself other than what was mentioned in the Q&A. I have pushed your message over the CM’s for a response. It is the weekend so this could take a bit! :slight_smile:

From reading through the forums, here’s what I’ve gathered:

In the SU 8 beta, there are 3 aircraft that have the new Prop Modeling/Simulation-

From the Release Notes:

• New optional propeller simulation system with hundreds of moving surfaces covering the propeller realistically simulated has been implemented on 3 planes
    Cessna 152, Cessna 208 B Grand Caravan EX and Beechcraft King Air 350i now use the new propeller simulation system. This improves propeller effects such as p-factor as well as feathering, prop drag, etc…

So those 3 planes have the new feature enabled now in SU 8. Apparently, the “optional” reference is for developers; they can experiment with the new feature (as soon as some documentation is produced; see post below).

EDIT: The extremely cool CFD Visualization of airflow is included in SU 8 beta. It’s in the Aircraft menu when you have a new Project open.

Here are a few links to more info:

New propeller physic in SU8 beta - MSFS DevSupport (flightsimulator.com)

New prop physics? - Sim Update 8 Beta Testing / Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

C152 and c208 are crawling backwards with brakes and full throttle - Sim Update 8 Beta Testing / Aircraft Systems - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

C208 Caravan - Take-off Power with Brakes on Makes Plane go Backwards - Sim Update 8 Beta Testing / Aircraft Systems - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like