Different aircraft behavior in bush trips (flight model or weight?)

I’m currently flying the California/Nevada Yosimite bush trip. On a couple of landings, I nosed over and had to re-fly the leg. Thinking that I would figure out how fast I could be going to apply brakes, I tried to reproduce the situation at the same airports (Mina (3Q0) and Hawthorne Industiral (HTH)) with the Savage Cub.

However, outside of the bush trip, I could not get the aircraft to nose over with the stick full back all the way up to the speed where I would lift off (around 50 km/h). I went back to the bush trip, and sure enough, I could nose over apply full brakes with full back stick even below 30 km/h.

That tells me that something is off about the flight model in bush trips. My working hypothesis is that the weight is off. I tried several permutations of weight outside the bush trip, but there is no way to see the aircraft weight in the bush trip. It’s also possible that something is off with the flight model more generally in bush trips.

I’m not sure which is more accurate, but we obviously want the flight model to be consistent. Thanks!

I found the same thing in the California bush trip…had full back stick applied and modulated the brakes on landing going down the runway and it still went nose over and crashed quite quickly (giving me the error message about destroying the aircraft and having to start all over, despite my setting my general larger options to ‘Easy’ so it allows for a crash without killing that entire flight plan, so you can slew out of it and try again. I was annoyed at having to fly the whole trip again and just quit figuring it was a bug of some kind…perhaps the Bush Trips somehow don’t pick up your overall options chosen on the damage settings. I may try another bush trip and see what happens on the landing to see if this issue is common across all bush trips.

Interesting indeed. For what it’s worth, I have my difficulty cranked all the way up for regular flights, so I don’t think the bush trips are strictly changing those settings.

When I’ve crashed in a bush trip, though, I’ve only had to repeat the leg rather than the whole thing. I did also have something similar in the Patagonia one, but didn’t do the same level of testing with the XCub.

Have a look here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/breaking-stopping-the-standard-savage-cub/384720

That definitely looks like the same issue–thanks! I’ll put a link to this thread there as well.

They messed up the CG calculation with UPDATE 3. That is why the tail draggers nose over during bushtrips. The CG is not properly reset at the start of the flight. It works on normal flights, but not in bushtrips.

1 Like

It should be fixed in 1.15.7.0

RELEASE NOTES 1.15.7.0

UI

• Incorrect fuel weight calculation when switching planes in the “Weight and Balance” screen has been fixed

Unfortunately NOT fixed.

Whoever thought that letting the user change the empty aircraft CG is a good idea… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Glad to come across this thread, because it explained why I kept nosing over when braking on this bush trip. But I’m up here to ask another question on this (and maybe other) trips:I flew Leg 3, which is fairly short, 3 times because of the nose-overs. When I finally succeeded, I parked where the line guy was standing, and shut down. No Completion!

So I cranked back up and taxied over to the fuel stand. Nothing. Taxied next the the TBM (?). Nothing. I could not get a completion for this leg. After taxiing all over the ramp, I gave up and went back to the main menu. My log shows the flight, times, and landing. So when I go back to the sim and want to fly Leg 4, will I be able to? Or is there some secret to ending a good flight when the sim doesn’t?

@GPBarth1146 You have a PM.

I wonder why nobody is reporting this.

The empty CG calc is completely wrong now, not only in buhstrips. It usually resets to a value of 20% instead of using the value from the aircraft.cfg. At least in free flight you can fix this with the slider in the load menu, but not in bushtrips.

Can someone please rename the topic accordingly?

1 Like

Filed as Request #101818

I can’t find the CG in the aircraft.cfg?

I am so sorry, it’s the flight_model.cfg.

I can confirm that this is still an issue. Not sure if it’s worth opening another Zendesk ticket though.

Outside of bush trip aircraft seems to have a problem too, they are way to safe and almost impossible to nose over.

Did a test coming for a two point landing, with the brakes allready fully pressed even before to touch, nothing. While i should have hit the nose immediatly.

https://youtu.be/PUBTMqX9k0E

To me in bush trip it’s when the FM might be more correct, and is wrong during all the rest.

Having this problem in the Patagonia bush trip on Xbox Series S. Even feathering the brake button (X) causes the plane to nose over. I have had to just let the plane slow down on it’s own, slowing it a bit faster by swerving from left to right using rudder.