Different texture colors/material on the same runway...?

Hi - I am just starting out with the SDK and learning to rebuild some airports. I was curious if you can have a single runway with different shades of asphalt? You see this often at airports where parts of the runway were resurfaced. I think you can do this with aprons but I am not seeing a way to do it for a runway within the SDK . Just wanted to see if there might be a trick for this. Thanks!

Hey,did you figure this out already?

I am not an SDK geek but I would suggest you make the underlying Runway object transparent and then work with different texture polygons. That’s at least how I do with dirt and other wild runways because it also gives a more natural and wild vibe to the scene and not this plotted rectangle of dirt. I actually don’t know if you can still add numbers and lines, though these are so called painted markings in the Object editor. So I guess even that wouldn’t be a problem.

AFAIK you can combine different materials also in one Runway object. However I never started to fiddle around with these. Could be some other type of tile or some different dimensions of the same.

1 Like

Hi - No, I did not pursue it any further with the airport I was working on. It was easy to do with taxiways since they are all Apron objects but it seems the runway is a single object and could not figure it out. I was able to change the coloring and texturing of the runway itself, but it changes the entire runway. This is probably where you need to be able to do custom textures and I am definitely not at that point yet! I did do the runway centerlines manually along with some precision markings but left the numbers default.

Try with multiple textured polygons (“add material” button). The advantage is that you can layer these countlessly. At this moment I don’t know any other solution.

1 Like

Confirmed this works. I did this to emulate the multiple runway pavings for RWY 16/34 at KPDK. KPDK Peachtree-Dekalb County Airport Updates & Enhancements » Microsoft Flight Simulator