Different transition altitudes/levels in different world regions

Hi everyone,
in real life transition altitudes (the altitude above which ATC assigns flight levels instead of altitudes) vary for different world regions. MSFS currently uses US/Canadian regulations (18.000 ft) worldwide.

Could you please adjust transition altitudes according to local regulations in the different world regions/countries?
E.g. in Austria 10.000 ft, Germany 5000 ft, New Zealand 13.000 ft

Can anyone confirm that the ATC has no idea about transition altitudes? I flew in Germany last where TA is 5000ft. I was given pressures even at FL 150 and yelled at by ATC because I was using standard pressure.

1 Like

Yes, transition altitudes currently follow US and Canadian rules only.

Jup, Microsoft American Flight Simulator 2020, no possibility to change units from lbs to kgs, inHg to hPa, transition 18000 ft, no ICAO radiotelephony phraseology and white / green aerodrome beacons all over the place. Lets make flight simulator great again! :us: :joy:

3 Likes

Edit Voice Pack where are you?

It’s absolutely ridiculous, frankly. The inability to use metric units is case in point. Even base-game FSX had this functionality.
I’ve already raised a feature suggestion ticket on Zendesk to suggest the utilisation of hPa for altimeter settings outside of the USA.

The ATC for sure is awful, its a direct paste from FSX but then they even removed useful bits.

It seems to think the whole world is north america when in reality its not.
Altimeter settings not QNH, not recognising the rest of the world has a different transition altitude,assuming the whole world has a clearance delivery/ground/tower setup and so on.
Its also very basic, often vectoring you or descending you very very very early. No proper top of descent planning or profiles, no clearly communicating SID/STARs, sequencing etc.

It clearly hasnt been addressed by anyone since FSX days and they clearly havent consulted with any pilot or controller outside N.America. This was one thing i REALLY hoped they’d improved but the current implementation is (i) annoying and (ii) not fit for purpose.

The one thing it DOES model 100% though is the complete and utter lack of ICAO annex 10 phraseology which is accepted as the international standard of what to say, how to say it and in what order which is roundly ignored inside the US to the point of being confusing and inconcise to just about every foreign pilot operating there!

1 Like

It’s actually more complicated. In Europe every airport has different TAs. But I’m totally with you in general.

2 Likes

Ah, thank you. I didn’t know that, because in my home country Germany we have 5.000 ft everywhere. But you’re right. Just found an article which says that some countries like France & UK have different TAs per airport, while other countries like Germany and Netherlands have the same TA everywhere.

Perhaps Asobo can make that a variable parameter per airport? I guess Navblue would have that data available?

Yeah, normaly it’s 5000 in Germany. But many German airports deviate from that either. Look at the charts. On some there’s a TA announced. Ony many it says “TA by ATC”.

2 Likes

I was almost certain that EDDF (FRA) had a TA of 9000ft. Anyway, ATC in this sim is Transition agnostic. It assumes a TA of 18000ft for the entire planet. A slight annoyance, but hey, I’m sure one day they will fix it.

1 Like

Just checked the charts and it’s 5000ft for EDDF. I also checked at least 10 other airports in Germany and everywhere it said 5000ft.

But as Navblue should have the data at airport level, I think it would not be hard to implement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Were we able to set the transition altitudes in Airport Design Editor in previous flightsims? If so, I guess this too will come with the scenery gateway? With great detail even, as we would be able to set it per airport, as it was suggested earlier in this topic that this is necessary in some cases.

The transition data (per airport) is available as part of standard AIRAC data, so it should be a simple matter to fix this bug. It is more than a slight annoyance when flying outside of the US using approach charts if ATC does not know when to use altitude and when to use flight levels.

Yeah, I would like to have realistic trans alts. But I assume this isn’t one of the big priorities with Asobo.

hello, the transition altitude is 18,000 feet for the world, example in France it is 5,000 feet in general, can you go back to zendesk?

How do you suggest they solve this? You can find them on airport charts, but i’m not aware of a central data source with transition altitudes per airport?

For them to figure out

I am not either, however there are some third party apps for different sims/platforms that have this data. Pilot2ATC has it for every airport. I use that information on all my flights.

I would assume, that Navblue could provide that data along with their navigation data.

they could at least try to test if user input a transition altitude in its FMS take off phase and approach phase, and use this one until they find a solution to get the transition altitude directly into nav data.
code like:

if(fms.tl not null) then tl=fms.tl else tl=18000.

This can let the user define itself the transition altitude to the ATC as the user can find it on charts or know its own country transition altitude. if not the sim just use the default one.