Differential braking seemingly gone in the 172 with the new soft gear features (fixed in 1.37.11.0)

Usually i’m able to steer with with differential braking in the 172S if needed, like sharper turns - this has been impossible for me in the beta since the first build, and still is with the additional tweaking in the second beta build.

I’ve got a couple of buttons set up for differential braking. I’ll give it a try later and see if I can duplicate the issue. Bad news if that’s gone too. Are you having the issue with the Garmin/172 or “steam gauge” version of the 172 (or both)?
Regards

Only in the G1000 version, the steam gauge version hasn’t received the flightmodel changes :slight_smile: Hopefully they sort this out, as this is a basic handling aspect of this plane!

Right now it seems to just apply a single braking force that feels equal on both tires, with either brakes applied.

2 Likes

I tried the 172/Garmin, and double checked my bindings for differential brakes to see if they were still set up right (they were), and gave it a run.
The animation for depressing the left/right brake was accurate, but the actual action was that regular full braking was actuated. The 172 didn’t move toward the left/right at all (even with significant thrust set), just slowed down from a full thrust setting, and came to a full stop straight ahead with less than full thrust.
Seems to definitely be a regression in the beta 15.
Regards
If you want to submit it as a bug in SU15 beta, I’ll vote for it and add my comments to your report.

5 Likes

Sounds like a bit of a head slapper? Shouldn’t that be one of the first things the developer tries when they code it? At any rate, you’ve got my vote too.

2 Likes

Same here. Logitech rudder pedals used via spad.next, differential braking has always worked before. In 172 now using left or right brake alone seems identical to using both brakes simultaneously and does not cause expected turning.

(I love the grippy tires but this seems like a functional problem :D)

4 Likes

This definitely a regression when the new ground parameters are applied, not aircraft specific. Same issue when adding the parameters to the TBM for example.
A bit worried that this is still not marked either as feedback or bug logged…

Moderators?

6 Likes

Agreed, i had hoped to see some recognition of a basic thing breaking like this.

Glad to see this as “bug logged” :slight_smile: Hopefully they can manage to fix it before release!

4 Likes

The team has been looking at this and has a few comments and request for more information from the community.

For differential braking to work, you need to apply rudder left or right and brake at the same time. Right now they believe that the sensitivity is set correctly in regards to locking the break without turning the nosewheel compared to the IRL counterpart, but we would love more feedback. Thanks!

Speaking only for myself, it’s now working with this “new” procedure. I call it new, because prior to this update, I could use differential braking without using the rudder. I’ve been retired for 14 years, so I can’t speak to more current systems, but I’ve used differential braking without rudder input in various types of aircraft in multiple scenarios. And I’ve never known light aircraft to have an interlock between the rudders and the brake system that would prohibit the use of light differential braking regardless of rudder input. Some older POH’s used to have a warning about using differential brakes in some conditions due to tire wear and spotting for hard turns. But maybe some systems and procedures have changed in the last 14 years that makes this process more accurate now. I can certainly change the way I operate if this is the valid process now.
Regards

2 Likes

I believe its the nose wheel steering (NWS) that’s necessary along with differential braking on a nose wheeled a/c. Its just that the NWS control is, of course, the rudder pedals.

1 Like

Hm, so if I’m understanding correctly – because the nosewheel on the C172 is not free-castering, but connected mechanically to the rudder controls, it’s necessary to use a little rudder to get the nose wheel to turn when using differential braking to turn, otherwise the nosewheel stays centered and works against you?

(I’ve never taxi’d a real C172 so cannot speak to the realism of this.)

1 Like

So I’m in the Asobo C-172 at the moment on Rwy 27 at KSWF. When I apply isometric pressure to the TB V1 rudder pedals such that the rudder axis is neutral (no nose wheel steering) and then apply either toe brake, I get the expected steering response of the aircraft turning in the direction that the differential braking initiated. And differential braking also work in conjunction with rudder pedal steering inputs, as expected. When I repeat this exercise in external view to observe the rudder, I see that it is stationary while differential braking produces the expected steering response. I’m not really clear what the team is looking for by way of additional feedback, but for my part in the current release, braking, differential braking, and nose wheel steering feel correct to me. I will do some more flying in the C-172 this evening and will post if I find otherwise, but for now this test is a pass for differential braking feel and function.

Are you in the glass cockpit version or the analog 6 pack version? I think that the changes were only applied to the glass version… can others confirm if this is correct?

1 Like

Yes, the original problem was only noted with the Garmin/172, not the analog version.
Regards

2 Likes

Good call out, thanks. I just repeated my test in the G-1000 C-172 and I now see that there is a difference. The differential braking feels more correct in the classic C-172 and less correct in the G-1000 C-172. That said, it is not a deal breaker for me today, I can taxi either version just fine but the feel is best in the classic version, so over time I would suggest that the team aim for that as a benchmark. Would others agree that we are close enough in the current release, and if not, what specifically should we be testing?

2 Likes

Thank you for testing and sharing the results!

2 Likes

In my experience, even with full right or left rudder any differential braking input is not giving the expected outcome; it will just brake as if you are inputting both left and right at the same time. It makes 180 turns at the end of a backtrack almost impossible without going off the runway!

Still, Its been a few days since i was in the 172, so ill try your the method you provided regardless :slight_smile:

A couple of days ago may have been in the prior beta release?