Digital foundry Asobo interview August 1st Reasons why have poor LOD

Must say I’m finding the silence from Asobo bit discerning. Game title by the name dead by daylight which I play from time to time. Some months back they changed the UI and was terrible. Community was in a uproar. Within 24 hrs the Devs put media statements. Saying “we’ve heard you loud and clear and we’ll be making changes” Granted that game is nothing on the complexity of FS2020, though as you others say. Some form of acknowledgement would be nice.

And I’ve seen positive examples from flight sim developers. There is such a game - IL-2 shturmovik from Russian developers. So they not only responded to user comments 7 days a week, but also in case of misunderstandings arranged joint streams, where they sorted out problems and wrote them down in their development schedule. And in the game, in fact, there were no controversial points … because even in such aspects as, for example, “the brightness of the light from the moon”, they consulted with the players.

And in this case, we can’t even hear a single statement from the developers. This is depressing.

2 Likes

So this means i don"t have to buy a 3080 i can stay with the “old” 2070.

Yes. The changes for SU5 were to make it work on the Xbox. They’re a fixed target. You can’t tell people to go buy a new graphics card.

That had to be done for a date and was very resource tight, probably causing the SU5 problems, shortage in testing, I reckon they just ran out of time and prioritised Xbox. No choice there.

If it had been PC only Asobo would likely have done what they did before, delay it a week or two. But the Xbox release date was fixed.

So it’s not as pretty. They do know, before the forums started complaining about it. Give them a chance to put it back while being backward compatible with the Xbox.

If it isn’t improved significantly in a few months I’ll be complaining with everyone else. But for now, cut them a bit of slack, live with the slightly worse graphics, and let them work on CTDs first.

6 Likes

Very annoying as visuals/graphics and pretty pics was the main thing they had going for them and on this selling point we all bought into it, all in light of the public assurances that the PC version would not be “dumbed” down.

I mean they cant claim they have the best flight model, weather/turbulence model, avionics or most in depth planes … (the list goes on) - so what is left when now the pretty pics are gone too.

Very disappointed.

3 Likes

Might even be able to find used Netbook. Probably looks better on that after updates LOL :smiley:

Personally I’d rather

1. fix CTDs
  2. add install verification
  3. add a proper log like XPlane
  4. fix avionics autopilot and atc
  5. improve the graphics ….
2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: Yep

Sure… especially the Flight Planner / Turn Around bug is really annoying as it affects all planes and so far the 3rd party dev hardly have a chance to fix it (unless they write their own).

I might add to your list
1b) Fix VATSIM/altitude/pressure/temp bug.

Actually #1 would be the log, it makes it so much easier to debug. You have some idea what it was doing when it crashed then. At present we have stock suggestions, clear community, remove USB etc but it’s really almost guesswork. Windows event logs are less than helpful here.

Thats all well and good. But they should have acknowledged that as a plan if that is actually a plan. Yes, there would have still been an uproar, but now there is even more of an uproar because there is no resolution in sight.

For me its the otherway

Graphics first, pls Asobo give me a reason to buy a 3080 !

1 Like

Next update : MSFS will run on Apple Watch​:rofl::crazy_face:

1 Like

They should have communicated this better than no communication at all. As far as things are today, this is an Xbox game aimed at being played on console with an Xbox controller, that is not a simulation, it is an arcade game in early access.

1 Like

Absolutely.

The tragedy is, that I just don’t get the feeling that any of these ideas are listened too and we can write all day long what is needed (as many, including me have done in the past by eg filing ZenDesk reports etc).

Oh YES…this is now an X-Box game( not a flight simulator anymore ) for the “shoot em up brigade”. Microsoft are only out to make more and more money and to sell their x-boxes. Its all about the MONEY.
:nauseated_face:
It was working so well up to SU5

Pure unadulterated greed.

3 Likes

The Q& A is not the place to accomplish this.

A town hall at a flight sim show is the only place no wiggle room will be allowed…but the MSFS development team would not do that, or would they? It would take tons of courage.

Just think, they have intentions of possibly making MSFS compatible with Xbox One (!!!). If this is realized, the whole project may die. Though not as quickly as MS Flight or DTG FSW, the demise of MSFS could be catastrophic and likely permanent for MS’s flight sim asperations, but flight simmers will bounce back and will always have other options.

MS shot their own foot with MS Flight, and they are aiming at the other foot now; will they pull the trigger or will they come to their senses?

3 Likes

The ATC, Avionics, and Autopilot (major yet basic aspects) would be useless for those who prefer Live Weather (major but basic) because Live Weather has been and continues to be broken.

2 Likes

Yep that also goes on the list too and is direct related to what I wrote about the Vatsim bug.

Why did Microsoft not leave MSFS2020 alone and create a new MSFS2021 Combat Flight Simulator for the X-Box and “shoot em up brigade”. There’s a good idea for you Microsoft even if I say so myself.
:rage:

2 Likes