Digital foundry Asobo interview August 1st Reasons why have poor LOD

Clearly quality was the easiest variable to adjust.

Most likely the MSFS team had little leeway on budgets and was not in full control of Time constraints.

The Xbox business unit is a much bigger business operation and July 27th was an Xbox launch event.

1 Like

But they keep needing to fix what they broke in the previous patch… and On and on and on.

The biggest problem they have is quality control before each release. Quality control would require a type of regression test, a suite of tests that ensure functionality is not compromised, before releasing the update.

6 Likes

Exactly !! It is the same ole story over and over and over and over again. Someone in charge has got to realize that the devs or QC people or something must be replaced.

1 Like

I mean who really cares, short of for its entertainment value, It is just a bunch of grins and smirks and marketing dribble in front of a 15 FPS webcam. Overlooking ones passion for the genre, that head guy really isn’t doing much for us.

4 Likes

Possibly because they are tied to a release date for every release. They have only delayed a couple of patches, I think, due to very serious blockers. In principle that’s nice to have, but in practise this is what we get.

A slower release cadence may be the only way to restore quality.

Jorg is a great guy. The only reproach I would have for him is not leaving the PC version alone. But who knows, maybe he tried and the money people said no.

1 Like

You wanna replace the devs that got us SU4 in the first place? Explain that, and explain who can do better with such a complex project? I’m all ears.

Links please! What interviews, where can I find them?

He / they might be great, enthusiastic and outright software geniuses.

Bottom line they are amateurs when it comes to managing customer expectations and when in crisis a professional customer communication.

If you goof up. Be proactive in your communication. Be forthcoming. Acknowledge the customers trouble. Explain the problem. Give an outlook. Ask for time to solve it. (But better make sure you also deliver). … and have some senior manager deliver it and not through some proxies whose exact position and relationship to Asobo is unclear to the wider public. … It s not rocket science.

3 Likes

The problem with this logic is that if they had the insight to follow it, they would have also had the insight to not release Sim Update 5 with as many bugs as it did. But they still released it and have been dead silent for the last 6 days which indicates that they just do not care and neither does Microsoft.

1 Like

Yes at this moment it is hard to say if it is a lack of (communication) skill or lack of will. It is up to them to change that perception or at least do their best at it (yes of course , provided they want to).

1 Like

Running a Dell mid end pc w AMD Rx580.

I can now fly New York and major cities in default ULTRA with no problem.
Before it would cull and pyramid everything and lag to death. Flying anywhere with ultra settings killed me.

I’m blown away at how they have ‘tweaked’ distances and it looks clear as far out as I can see.

Our EARTH/Flight Simulator is a MONSTER.

Considering the history of MS Flight Simulator, other Flight Simulators and what we have RIGHT NOW…just imagine where things will be as we move forward. We are playing with the beginnings of deity level compute power.

It’s too easy to complain about little things when you forget the big picture of it all.

6 Likes

I am Absolutely furious with these developers, constantly breaking the sim, putting out buggy releases and now degrading the sim for PC users :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I agree with everything you are saying here, but you may just be fanning the flames. I doubt anyone posting on this thread is willing to listen very much at this point.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the problem. A Rx580 should not be able to run Ultra with no problem. That means all GPUs above and beyond are rendered useless. I guess you’ll be as outraged as we are when SU6 runs on Android phones on Ultra with no problems.

10 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. In my view was part the problem too. Low end PC users wanting same graphics quality and performance what high end PC users get.

1 Like

Sorry, can you explain that to me?

2 Likes

At least it got acknowledged that there is an issue with the lightning:

Mod Edit: Link to post here

Got nothing more to say

1 Like

That’s not an acknowledgment, just that they’ve taken on board the bug reports and will review it, they’ve not said it’s an issue at all (yet).