DirectX 12 as much for flight model than graphics?

Without getting too technical about the differences between DX11 and DX12, today, I decided to run DX12 based on the very simple summary that DX12 is able to use each CPU core whereas DX11 only uses one… by dropping down the graphics quality, and turning on Motion Reproduction on Depth and Motion (but for some reason that setting will not stay set on “Depth and Motion” but reverts to “Depth” each time I re-check it, but not the point of my post); I wonder if the DX12 utilization has more to do with enhancing the flight model realism than a graphics upgrade. I noticed that the airplane was handling ever so slightly harder to control (in a good way). Thoughts?

There shouldn’t be anything DX12-specific about the actual simulation, but if the frame rate has changed, the simulation is also proceeding at a different rate, and you’ll have a different amount of input lag. This could perhaps make for a slightly different feel.

Using motion reprojection in VR, for instance, may mean you’re rendering a lower in-game frame rate (thus high input lag and a long time between simulation checkpoints) while multiple output frames are generated and projected to the updated head position.

1 Like

Interesting. Hadn’t thought about this as a possibility. I’d really be curious for a MSFS2020 developer to weigh in on whether the DX12 option opens up more “magic” for drawing/computing an increased flight model realism

I don’t work for Asobo but I am a software developer and know just enough about graphics APIs to tell you it’s extremely unlikely that DX12 has anything to do with the flight model, whatsoever.

2 Likes

with dx12 i get better performance and the bluriness has gone with dlss in use im happy with dx12

This is completely false. DX11 uses all cores just as well.

My CPU on DX11 in heavy photogrammetry with increased LOD’s;

1 Like

Exactly and DX12 in SU11 Beta is still far from que performance of DX11 with an RTX 3070. CPU is being used more in DX12 but not better. Frames go down to 15 fps and back to 45 over Valencia flying very low. With DX11 I got minimum 35 fps and 65 to 75 max. Will stick with DX11 for now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.