Disappointed in Sim Update 5

Umm maybe I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure UncleTbag was being sarcastic

really, do you think so ?
He was still spot on though !

spot on? How so?
That “particular combination” as you call it of processor GPU and ram is a VERY common setup.

agreed - i9 with a 2080 or a mid range 30xx like the 3070 (2080 and 3070 are very similar) is actually pretty standard for a decent rig in 2021

Everyone with low res buildings or less buildings in the distance should try this one out:

Seems like ultra settings do not stick or only after you lower it and then set it back to ultra.

1 Like

Your Paris shot with low res airport buildings seem to have this problem going on.
Your ultra settings may not getting recognized by the game:

This is the first time I jump on this plane after the fifth update …
I did not know that Asobo’s magic included TBM :rofl:

I don’t you have any add-ons in my Community folder
In Paris, there were high graphics settings. But when I fly very close, then the building is loaded

For those saying there is no downgrading…
Same settings, look how much less autogen there is in SU5 (bottom). Also it’s oversharpened.

3 Likes

This paragraph from PMDG in regards DC6. This is disgusting by Microsoft to do this. Prove Microsoft just bunch of greedy pricks.

“That being said, we have the development team standing by to see how the DC-6 does in the new environment because we are nearly certain that some issues will have slipped by our notice, as we were unable to give the DC-6 a proper test cycle in the new MSFS environment. We apologize for this, as normally we like to thoroughly test releases before handing them to you, but we were only invited into the MSFS testing environment for the new update when it was within days of release to you. Thus our effort to catalog/research/fix problems ran essentially from Wednesday-to-Friday of last week with us handing a laundry list of problems off to our friends at Asobo beginning on Friday morning.”

7 Likes

Had the same problem as your screen shots flying from Calgary to Vancouver.
First thought server problem to many users?
Microsoft must have known that and increased their servers?
Tried this morning same problem
So frustrating had to shut down the simulator.
Lets see what happens
Only person that is on top of things is Jane the community manager but she can’t do anything about it.

6 Likes

Good idea. Gonna go leave review on Store

1 Like

Green, green for xbox! :rofl:

3 Likes

Exactly the same here

I have a 1660, I was enjoying 30-ish fps with mid-high settings and clouds on ultra, with awesome looking visuals and aircraft that actually work. When I loaded into SU5 I immediately got 3 crashes. When I finally loaded the default a320 into an airport, the jetways were gone, the anti aliasing looked awful and the white was really oversaturated. The floodlights in the a320 were so bright that you could barely even see the screen, I couldn’t use the latest fbw a320 because that would just crash my sim. My performance was really bad in the latest update, only around 20 fps with massive stuttering. The default a320 was completely broken, all the lights in the cockpit were stuck on test mode, and the switch which controls them was INOP. I managed to fly a little but I got a bunch of CTDs. I really wish I could revert to the previous update because this was totally disappointing (to nobody’s surprise, of course).

4 Likes

BS, I bet they will use this exact excuse in the next Q&A. “We don’t see any of the reported graphical downgrades on our side. There is a bug where settings might not stick and will be fixed in an upcoming SU. Please check that and see if it improves.”

6 Likes

As a base yes. But its vitally important that different components are well matched. For example saying that someone has 32G of RAM means nothing if the RAM bars are mixed. Often people expand the RAM and mix types and manufacturers. Very bad idea. Yey often things will be OK and then suddenly there is something that wont run. Speed of RAM important. etc etc. (this is just an example ).
So one of the reasons the sim runs well on some PC and badly on others may well lie in the mix of components on a PC.

Yes he was spot on in nevertheless in his sarcastic comment, (as someone pointed out) nevertheless pinpointed that the issue was on his PC.
This doesnt mean that there is anything wrong as such but past performance is no guarantee to future performance. Microsoft cant come out to each individual PC to see whats going on. But as an ex-IT manager if someone came to me and said “this particular bit of software runs very well on Joe’s machine but Charlie has the same spec machine but the software runs badly”, then my first thought would not be lets look at the software. . My first thought would be whats different between these two machines, in terms of EVERYTHING hardware related.
Makes sense. It doesnt mean that there is anything WRONG, it means that the answer lies in the hardware not the Sim. I am sorry but it is just so and always has been.
This is why I would like MS to creatre a utility that can run and gathers info in a log file when people have these problems so it can be analysed. A pattern would soon emerge. Just kicking hell out of MS achieves nothing.
As always information leads to knowledge and knowledge leads to solutions.

1 Like

Jeeez this 3 knot head wind on final feels like it’s 35 knots.

Yooo what happened to the freedom tower???

I join you in your disappointment. Sadly, as a pilot myself I’ve invited an instructor and two pilots from the local flight school to come and see what MSFS “looks like” but unfortunately the appointment was made BEFORE the update.

Forget all the mods not working, and a foray of other bugs that came with SU5 …

It’s overexposed with too much bloom even with the latter turned off in settings; the sun and clouds look like blobs in the sky; buildings are too sharp and ground textures are such a low resolution that it looks like a bmp that has been reduced to a gif; and the whole feel and ambience has taken a huge turn for the worse.

Thank goodness for some YouTube videos that could show them what it looked like BEFORE the downdate.

PS: If only there was a way to uninstall SU5 because I’ll rather take the occasional stutter than what it looks like now.

16 Likes

The best thing to do i sell my computer and get 15 Xbox for the money.
That brings me to at least 800FPS :slight_smile:

2 Likes