Disappointed with Orbx airports

I bought it a couple of months before flying to it so can’t refund but it really disappointed me as the location itself is great, and worthy of someone like Pilot Plus doing a A+ job.

I feel like both Southampton and Shoreham will likely need to be replaced in future, hopefully updated by Orbx for free, or at least with a discounted price. They both feel really dated compared to the other airports I’ve bought.

I think Bromma will be a must buy for me eventually. I’m touring the UK for now, and then France and Benelux but definitely when I get to Sweded I’ll be getting that.

1 Like

Silly question but as I just got into the Orbx platform, is it possible to download and install these airports but do not load them by default? Just keep them in a separate folder (not Community) and specify via a symlink which ones will load in each MSFS session. The app only has the option to uninstall the addon, not remove the symlink.

With MSFS Addons Linker you choose which addons you use in each MSFS flight, so that you won’t bloat the game with unnecessary sceneries, airports etc (thus keeping loading times down). Is it possible to do something similar to Orbx via their app? The only way I found was to manually remove/re-add those symlinks they’re creating during installation.

edit: I think a combination of Orbx and MSFS Addons Linker will do the trick, as I’ve set up a folder shared between the two. Orbx stores all downloads into that folder and I’m using it as a subcategory (among the many) in Addons Linker, so that I can control which addons to use and which to disable.

London city is disappointing. Pop in and ctds on Xbox.

Why? Don’t understand it.

Coming towards the end of my south of England tour today I flew from Andrewsfield, by Burning Blue Design, great little airfield, all BBD’s having consistent high quality, then travelled to the frankly jaw droppingly good Duxford freeware, before finishing tonight’s flight at Orbx’s Stapleford.

The drop in quality is almost comical. At Stapleford some of the textures are so bad it’s comparable to GoldenEye on the N64. I don’t know if Flightsim.to has a freeware Stapleford as I haven’t checked, but if they do it’s probably better than this.

Only two more airports to go on my tour. BBD’s Farnborough which I’m expecting to be great, and Orbx’s Elstree which I’ll probably just do a touch and go to avoid further disappointment…

So flew to Elstree today after a thoroughly absorbing sightseeing tour of London. I have to say this airport was probably my favourite of the four Orbx ones I’ve bought. The textures were lacking compared to Burning Blue Design’s efforts but taking into account this was a port, I really enjoyed looking around this airfield. Nice location too.

Interestingly, I found a Youtube video of the original Orbx Elstree for P3D and Flight Simulator X. It was released all the way back in 2013 and looks indentical to the MSFS one except the old one had fully animated people moving around. MSFS version has the same people, but they are now static, so essentially the P3D version from nearly 8 years ago was better.

Must have been very impressive for its day though.

That looks great - I wonder when it will arrive on my Xbox :thinking:

Yes you can do that.
I actually use Addon linker too.
Central offers the possibility to create a folder to install your products or to install in the community one.
You first need to create your Orbx folder in Central, then every time you install a product it will ask you if you want to install it in your folder or in the community one
So with your addon linker you can route the Orbx folder and enable the addons you have whenever you want to fly them
I personally have all of them enabled
Cheers
Carlos

1 Like

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I did.

1 Like

They also seems to be not bothered with the custom vegetation this time unfortunately. Those shrubs were fantastic in the P3D version.

Oh yeah, that was back in the days, where ORBX had a reputation for being (probably) the best Scenery developer out there… Gone are these times…

3 Likes

Unfortunately their update to KBUR v2 has made the airport, especially with the terminal in view, very performance heavy when changing views inside the aircraft or panning the external camera. This was not the case with v1 of the scenery which was smooth in all aspects, so something changed with V2 that made one of my favorite add on airports unusable. I hope they fix this.

Wheres the rest of the airports and sceneries for xbox? I have a load on PC i bought in the marketplace that are not available on xbox. This includes:

Bromma
Innsbruck
Klagenfurt
Catalina
Brisbane city
Panama
Auckland
gothenburg

Shouldnt these also be available on xbox? If not why not? Ive asked in the forum but as usual got my customary tumbleweed.

Just to name a few!