Discussion: Live dev Q&A January

Force Feedback for Joysticks coming yeeeeaaahhhh. Is not priority what he say but its coming :yum:

Thx Jayne :heart_eyes:

1 Like

thank you!

Yay, France and Benelux world update! Can’t wait!

Pleeeeeaaaaaase make a nice ELLX airport, it is an international airport, home to a very major cargo airline (Cargolux), and today it doesn’t even have a control tower in the sim

Pretty pleeeease :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

about the teaser of the england trailer: are these buildings like churches, the london eye, … handcrafted or are they generated “automatically” without the need of further human action? This wasn´t mentioned anywhere before.

Also, what exactly is the advantage of the mentioned new data source? Higher detailed terrain mesh? Or Better ground textures? A bit info about it would be great.

Enjoyed the Q&A, lots of info and always good to see the interaction going on - many thanks to all involved :slight_smile:

Some general feedback: I know these things must be difficult to organise and keep on track, but it felt a bit broken up in terms of structure. I have no vested interest, but I was worried that a great many of the Q&A forum questions were not going to get a look in, and felt they should have been the core of the livestream.

As for thoughts on some topics discussed:

• Bit disappointed at the response that the “end of flight” screen doesn’t need removing (1:06:20 in the video), but only that the bug which prevents the next flight being recorded in the logbook when clicking ‘Continue’ needs fixing. Given the number of voices shouting about it here, the community appears to disagree with that one; it should be an option to stop that screen popping up mid shutdown procedure! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • 1 to 10 degree heading bug has been fixed - 1:19:22 in the video :partying_face:
  • UK update looks good! Can’t wait to fly over my house (yet again) and see if I’ve had an upgrade :grin: (Though it’s pretty good already)
  • France / Benelux update for next World Update - just a short hop across the Channel, that’s nice :blush:
  • Icing getting some attention is good news
  • Force feedback might be getting some attention … not a definitive answer but sounded positive!

There was so much, I can’t remember most of the rest. Thanks guys, see you on the next one!

6 Likes

LOL! We got about 1.5 inches of snow today. I’m not going to shovel until it stops!
Regards

1 Like

Most of the buildings shown in the trailer were new ‘landmarks’ or POIs. They will all be handcrafted and marked on the world map, I’m fairly sure. The other data will be things like DEM for the terrain mesh and perhaps some other specifics, maybe better details on rivers, roads, power lines, data on where forests are (instead of using the algorithm to guess where trees should be) and that kind of stuff, I expect - I am just guessing though :wink: I wonder if they’ll use newer OSM data too. (I made some local edits to building heights for obstacles like cooling towers in the hope they’ll one day pop up in the sim!)

Hopefully we’ll get some new building archetypes that also suit the UK, though I don’t feel the current look is too bad for the most part.

3 Likes

so nothing worth mentionning lol

1 Like

That end of flight screen definitely needs to go. It can pop up all it wants when I hit ‘esc’ and then click ‘back to main menu’.

9 Likes

I completely agree this would seem to be the reasonable result.

5 Likes

With the MS force feedback joystick might be brought out of storage and be used instead of my X55 joystick, I’ll still use my X55 throttle though until I manage to buy the Honeycombe throttle next year.

2 Likes

Just enough to make everything a mess for the next couple of days! But the dogs love it!!
Regards

Maybe it needs an option to control behaviour:

• Don’t pop-up at all - flight is automatically logged when exiting to main menu
  • Pop up after a full shutdown - in a parking spot, parking brake on, engines off, avionics off, battery off (maybe more criteria)
  • Pop up after a partial shutdown (as now) - in a parking spot, parking brake on, engine off, avionics off
  • Pop up after coming to a stop after landing (more for the casual gamers) - as soon as you stop on the runway or taxiway, after landing

To be fair, I think Martial only said that removing the screen isn’t the way to fix the bug about ‘Continue’ causing the flight not to log. Fair enough, but for me the impact of this UX decision is worse than the “press any key” intro screen. At least that one didn’t interrupt your sim session! :eyes:

6 Likes

Unfortunattely the announced agenda of the session was not followed. The agenda foreseen some comments on the December update. I expected some explanation (maybe even an apology) regarding the massive failure with terrain spikes:

• how it happened - was it at the front end or at the bing servers,
  • why there was a total radio silence after Christmas, no attempt to hot fix (finally one user found the solution),
  • after long Christmas break the hot fix was promised “in a couple of days”, but the promise was not kept,
  • the threads on the forum discussing the issue were closed with the vague message that the “developers solved the issue” - this not means much to the end users,
  • not clear if/when the issue will be solved - probably World Update 3, delayed to next week? So more than a month with such fundamental error, completely runining the scenery visuals - the hallmark feature of the sim.

Also the coastline glitch, introduced with US update was not adressed, despite having 350+ votes. This “glitch” totally ruins the experience when flying close to shoreline. Another blow to scenery visuals.
And the developers work on “landing smoke effects, different on the concrete, dirt and grass”. To me it seems like massive prioritization issue.

There are some other issues, comprehensively documented on the forums (LOD bug, tree density/distance bug) some solved by the mods by the users. But it’s a pity that Asobo is not acknowledging these issues, despite their statements regarding reading the feedback carefully. If they really do, I wonder why they prioritize the tire smoke over the LOD or tree issues, all introduced with the after launch updates, so relatively easy to fix, by reverting some changes.

While I appreciate the effort of the devs to explain some cool fetures of the sim, it’s really intersting, I’m also dissapointed that both the moderator and the devs tend to skip the pain points.

14 Likes

Am I the only one really excited that they are trying to bring the community modded planes to the marketplace?

Like that is massive news I think, congrats to the teams involved, y’all made it man.

3 Likes

For me the log appearing at engine stop completely breaks the shutdown checklist. I wonder why Asobo insist on keeping this on, should be extremely simple to implement a switch in the options to turn the loogbook appearance off.

3 Likes

That’s why I moved to Florida :slight_smile:

First off, I want to thank you @Jummivana for specifically bringing up the weather only on the first flight issue. It’s not an issue that’s affecting the majority of players for the most part, but it seems the number of us stuck with this problem is growing.

I wish there was an easy way to reproduce it. No one seems to be able to determine what conditions cause it to happen in the first place.

People are going along and it’s working just fine. Then it happens. And once it happens, you’re stuck with it. There’s go going back to experiment with the cause. There’s the workaround to somewhat awkwardly get around it. But there’s just no going back to normal live weather, every flight, all the time once it starts happening.

1 Like

Thank you to whoever brought up the visibility question, regarding no way to set it at a specific value for IFR approaches. Even though Martial wasn’t able to share too much, glad to see it getting some attention.

6 Likes

I listened again carefully to the section about the logbook pop up, but I think Jayne asked the question wrong, and naturally Martial answered wrong. (well he answered the question correctly)

Jayne:

To which Martial logically replies something along the lines:

Basically, what martial said is removing the pop up will not fix the 2nd flight not logging, which is the correct answer to Jayne’s question.

So @Jummivana, can you ask him again. The reason we want the pop up gone is not because of the bug that it doesn’t log the flight any more. The reason we want it gone is because it’s immersion breaking.

edit: I’m ‘accusing’ Jayne (not my intention) falsely. She read the first post of the logbook topic. But the rest of the topic has a different reason to disable the logbook than the OP. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes